By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Games You've Beaten 2023

Just Finished: Resident Evil HD [REmake] (PS4)

Finally got around to playing the first game in the series. The first RE game I ever played was RE4 which took the series in a radical new action-oriented direction. I played RE5 and RE6 after that which doubled and tripled down on the action elements to diminishing returns. This was a  nice opportunity to explore the series' roots. It definitely is the scariest of the RE games I've played. The graphical upgrade over the PS1 original is phenomenal and the HD remaster is still pretty darn good to look at even when I have gotten used to current gen graphics. The controls are pretty terrible and the combat is quite stiff. Navigating with the fixed camera angles is a real chore and takes getting used to. The mansion is a great setting to explore even if a lot of the puzzles and traps seem implausible. The atmosphere, sound design, and music are all very effective and fright-inducing. The voice acting is pretty bad although perhaps still an improvement over the original game's, which is supposedly among the worse of all time. The item management system sucks. Having to leave stuff behind and constantly trek back to item boxes because you are not sure of what you will need is a pain in the ass. The boss battles can be neat, especially when they offer alternative paths to winning other than just shooting whatever monster you are facing. I played as Jill first and then Chris. Having 2 characters incentivizes replaying the game but the story and gameplay are not dramatically different between playthroughs. The game actually reminds me of MGS 1 in the way it pioneered how a cinematic action game could be played on the early 3D consoles. I think they may remake this game again down the line and perhaps finally ditch the fixed camera angles. I still have about half of the saga to play through, but its nice to finally cross the original off my list.

Score: 7/10

Full Completed 2023 List:

• Super Mario World (NSO)
  • Star Fox (NSO)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
  • Donkey Kong Country (NSO)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NSO)
  • Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS5)
  • The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe Edition (PS5)
  •  Bioshock Infinite: Complete Edition (PS4)
  • The World Ends With You Final Remix (Switch)
  • My Japanese Coach (DS)
  • Puppeteer (PS+ Premium)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS+ Extra)
  • Devil May Cry HD (PS+ Premium)
  • Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy (PS+ Premium)
  • Resident Evil HD (PS4)
Last edited by Signalstar - on 06 November 2023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Got Top 500 in Overwatch 2 does that count as beating the game?

The Fury said:

So, Mass Effect 3, Star Wars Fallen Order. Guardian's of the Galaxy. FF9. Ghost of Tsushima, Borderlands 3, Prey, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Persona 5, Sackboy's Adventure, FF7. HFW. R&C:RA, Kena. DA:I (again), BG3.

After BG3, wanted to do something else... instead went back to BG 3, thought I'd take it easy and pick explorer. Man the difference in Explorer to adventurer is huge, got knows what Tactician is. Anyway, mostly playing that, Apex and Slay the Spire but got to Act 3 of BG3 and just kinda stopped. Trying to do things in different order/decisions is hard.

So, went and played Mile Morales again. Not got Spiderman 2 yet as too many other things to play and will buy when cheaper but thought I'd play PS5 version of Miles... 10 hours later done, this includes most of the side content. No plat as missed a few things and can't be bothered to string together a 100 combo. :P

Anyway, thinking I might give Control another go next.

Hmm, pie.

Couple of new games this time.

Finished Games:

1. Monster Hunter World (+Iceborne) (PS4) My rating: 9/10
    • I spent roughly 150 hours playing through MHW, and I never once got tired of hunting monsters and trying to find more materials to craft new weapons and armor. 
  2. Superhot (PS4) My rating: 8/10
    • A fun puzzle game with a unique gimmick and a clever twist to its story. 
  3. Control (PS4) My rating: 9 / 10
    • Remedy's best game so far. I love the setting, story, characters, and gameplay. The developer has created a world that is wonderfully twisted in various small ways, leading to a constant sense of unease as nothing feels completely right, from the way characters act to the Oldest House itself. 
  4. Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • A wonderful game to just lean back and relax for a while. Something delightfully cathartic to just roll everything in sight into a giant rolling ball of destruction. 
  5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • Been on a really good roll when it comes to video games lately, and Senua's Sacrifice was another great game to add to the list. Ninja Theory have long been one of my favourite developers, but I didn't get around to this game until now for whatever reason. Still, I'm glad I finally did because it's great. The story is well-told and intriguing, but the true star here is Senua herself and her characterization as a person losing her grip on reality and suffering from psychosis. 
  6. Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • A fun, rhythm action game with a few shortcomings that keep if from true greatness. The Hyrule setting is great, and the gameplay is a lot of fun once you get accustomed to it. I played the game through with my wife in co-op, and for the most part it's a great for that. There are a few battles that feel a bit unfair in co-op, but otherwise no issues with the game.
  7. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • Basically a tribute to classic SNES era JRPGs with some modern concessions. The battle system is fast-paced and fun, the story moves at a very brisk pace, and the characters are instantly identifiable as separate people. However, the pace of the story is bit too fast, as very few moments get time to breathe, and as a result end up lacking in impact. It also leaves many of the characters woefully underdeveloped. The game could have taken a little more time to let the story develop. 
  8. Super Mario RPG (SNES) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • I had never actually finished Super Mario RPG before. I had played the very beginning a long time ago on an emulator, but I figured that since I have the SNES classic I should finally get around to playing it properly. I did, and it's good. It's a simple, lighthearted, RPG with a nice, quirky sense of humour and an enjoyable battle system.
  9. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • The first game in the Atelier-series I've actually played, though I've had my eyes on it for a long time. A relaxing, relatively easy RPG with a decent storyline, good cast, surprisingly varied battle system, and an item creation system that actually becomes very deep as the game progresses. Overall, I had a lot of fun with this one, and I'll probably come back for the sequels too at some point.
  10. The Legend of Dragoon (PS4) My Rating: 10 / 10
    • I've talked about this one enough already. One of my favourite games ever. I do wish they would have done a little more with this rerelease, even if it was just an updated translation, because the English language script is just awful, and is easily the worst part of the game. The voice acting is the one other notable shortcoming, though that's more a sign of the era it was released in than anything else.
  11. Pinstripe (PC) My Rating: 7 / 10
    • A 2D platformer with a cool art style and responsive gameplay. Not very challenging either. The story is quite good, with a few nice twists thrown in near the end. It is, however, very short, my one playthrough clocking in at barely 2.5 hours. There are two endings, so you can get more out of the game if you want.
  12. AER: Memories of Old (PC) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • A relaxing open world game where the focus is heavily on just flying around the world solving simple puzzles and listening to the story unfold. A nice little game to just wind down and experience once. The idea of a character being able to just turn into a bird at will and fly around the world freely is something I'd like to see explored more in games.
  13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS3) My Rating: 9 / 10
    • The third time I've played through DS2. Still the weakest in the series, still great, though I have to admit the game's flaws become more and more apparent as time passes and new games show how things can be done better. Will probably fall down a bit in my year end top 50.
  14. Astro's Playroom (PS5) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • Finally bought a PS5 for myself, and it felt fitting to play Astro's Playroom first. A genuinely fun, nostalgia-filled journey through the history of PlayStation. An easy game to play, but it's a perfect showcase for the controller, and I had a smile on my face through most of the game as I came across all the little nods, references and Easter eggs to past games and consoles found everywhere. 
  15. Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores (PS5) My Rating: 9/10
    • I spent almost 90 hours in this game over the last few weeks, and I never once got bored of playing it. I loved the expanded gameplay options from the first game, the increased focus on character development, the continuation of the story to some really unexpected directions, and the setting in general. While the first game felt like Aloy's journey to discover the history of the world as well as her own past, FW was much more about her learning to trust others and forging closer relationships with people, while obviously also fighting to save the world. 
  16. Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) My Rating: 9.5/10
    • This was my third time playing through Valkyria Chronicles after I realized that it had been almost ten years since I last played it. Still remains one of my all-time favourite games, with a great story, excellent characters, beautiful visuals, a satisfying battle system, and one of Hitoshi Sakimoto's best scores, which is saying a lot. 
  17. The Legend of Heroes: Trails From Zero (PS4) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • The 8th game in The Legend of Heroes-series I've finished, and I have to say it's one of the weaker ones as a whole. Admittedly, the bar for me is quite high when it comes to this series, and even a game this good isn't among the best in it. Basically, this is still an excellent game in just about every aspect, but the characters, storyline, and music just don't quite reach the heights of the Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel subseries.
  18. Gravity Rush (PS4) My Rating: 8/10
    • Another replay I decided to do when I realized it'd been almost six years since I played Gravity Rush. Still a thoroughly enjoyable game, with unique gameplay revolving around the use of gravity, a fascinating world, and an interesting set of main characters. Need to replay the sequel at some point as well.
  19. Stray (PS5) My Rating: 8/10
    • Another game with a wonderfully realized world, a beautiful visual style, and certainly a unique perspective from which the player experiences it. Stray may not be a masterpiece, but it certainly warranted the hype it received from being "the cat game". A fun journey that lasts just long enough, and doesn't overstay its welcome. 
  20. FAR: Lone Sails (PC) My Rating: 7.5/10
    • A simple, quite intentionally straightforward game that lets the players' imagination fill in the finer details of the game's world and story. A short experience as well, as my first time playthrough was done in well under three hours. Very much a game where the journey matters more than the destination.
  21. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • A mixed bag of a JRPG that gets great over time, but takes too long to get there in my opinion. Could have easily been 10 to 15 hours shorter and very little of value would have been lost. Still, I am looking forward to getting to the sequels at some point.
  22. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) My Rating: 9/10
    • As of this writing, FFXVI is my GotY for 2023. While I can't call it flawless, I absolutely loved the vast majority of what this game had to offer. The world of Valisthea is a wonderfully crafted place where each region has a very distinct look and feel to them, all the way down to their dialects and naming convention. The story is great, and the characters are also really well rounded and feel like actual people, especially if you take your time to do the various side quests that flesh out the world and the various people you meet. The action-based gameplay was a lot of fun, and the sheer scale that the Eikon fights grow to is genuinely awe-inspiring. The music by Masayoshi Soken is also exceptional, one of the best original video game scores of 2023. Overall, FFXVI is an excellent game. Close to some of the series best entries in fact, though not quite at the very top tier. 
  23. Alan Wake Remastered (PS5) My Rating: 7.5/10
    • A very good action-horror game, though I'd call it more of a thriller than actual horror. Solid characters, story and setting, with some decent writing. The gameplay can get a bit repetitive in the long run, and in the two DLC add-ons "The Signal" and "The Writer, some of the battle sections can get really frustrating. This really isn't a very fluid game in terms of gameplay, but one could argue that works in the game's favour in creating tension, and for the most part it works. Only once in a while does the experience veer into the realm of annoyance. Not the developer's best work, but still enjoyable.
  24. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered (PS4) My Rating: 9/10
    • About the fifth time or so that I've beaten FFVIII, just used the remaster as an excuse really. Still great, still love it.
  25. Spider-Man (PS4) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • Took me long enough to get around to this one, and largely the game was worth the wait. Great, varied gameplay, wonderful open world, and decent characters and story. The real star is the traversal mechanics, but just about everything about the game is great. Not quite among my favourite open world games, but certainly very good still.

Actively Playing:

• Octopath Traveler II (PS5)

Games in Queue:

• Persona 5 Royal
  • The Witcher-trilogy
  • Octopath Traveller II
  • Demon's Souls
  • Nier: Replicant
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir 
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • God of War: Ragnarök
  • ...and too many others to list

Finished:

1. Hades (PC)

2. Gris (PC)

3. Salt and Sacrifice (PC)

4. Death's Gambit: Afterlife (PC)

5. Dragon Quest VI (DS)

6. Mega Man 10 (PC)

7. Nioh 2 (PS5)

8. Crystal Project (PC)

9. Final Fantasy 16 (PS5)

Around the Network

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Octopath Traveler 2 (Platinum)
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
FFVII Remake: Intermission
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy 16
Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon (NG, NG+, NG++)
Disgaea 7
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty

Disgaea 7 (5th JRPG)- Disgaea 7 was a small return to form. I say that because it mixes some things from Disgaea 6 and the previous games. In the end out of the 7 games it is still probably on the lower side. The story took 30 hours and was simple, but fine enough. The after story grind was similar to Disgaea 6 and not too enjoyable. Gameplay was fun enough because I didn't try to outlevel everything or get high level items early, just used what I could get and took on the challenges of each stage. In the beginning in fact, I had huge money issues and couldn't revive my characters because they were weak enough to die, leading me to sell almost everything. It was fun for awhile and eventually I became strong enough to not die and have extra money for better equipment to also not die. Unfortunately the staleness of the late game grind which takes up the majority of the game and the trophies being bugged preventing me from getting the platinum leaves a sour taste in my mouth. So this entry in the Disgaea series will likely stay rather low in my praise.

Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty- Another DLC, crazy I am on a roll here. It was fun to get back to Cyberpunk with a new story DLC story and new ways to play the game as well as upgrading my save to the PS5 version for free. The DLC was decently long content but honestly I am glad it ended when it did, because my taste for replaying games just isn't there. 15 ish hours with most of it being new content is fine, time to move on to newer games.

Final Fantasy XVI - 9/10
Diablo IV - 7.5/10
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - 8/10
The Quarry - 7/10
Far Cry 3 - 9/10
Starfield - 6.5/10
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 9.25/10

Recently completed...

Spider-Man 2 - Great game if we count the main missions. Gameplay is largely the same with the addition of Venom/symbiote powers and with two Spidermen to control and play. The new parry system is a fine addition to the combat and some new tools and suits to unlock and use.  Both stories intertwine and we get a deeper look into Peters story. Downsides are some awful side missions that; not only slow and pointless, but also a lot have forced politics/inclusion heavy-handidly thrown in there, don't need that in my games tyvm. The stealth missions were laughably bad as well as with SM1. Aside from a few minor gripes really like this one, from the story to swinging and kicking through NYC 8.5/10 

MW3 campaign - a passable Call of Duty. Its short, okay shooter if a little rushed. Didn't enjoy the Warzone like levels; with a lot of swappable weapons but the other scenarios and levels to shoot through were quite enjoyable, if forgettable. The story is as what you'd expect from Hollywood-esque  soldiers from all over saving the world, with a few interesting bits thrown in and some changes from the original. 6.5/10

MW3 multiplayer - great MP, let down by a lack of new maps.. With the return to longer TTK, customisation options with subclasses and makes it way better than its precessor and that's before you look into the maps. Sadly while the maps are great to play in and rediscover.. MW3 is really lacking in new, origional maps and borrows a little too much from its roots from MW2 (2009). 8/10

Super Mario Wonder - Where to start.. well its what you'd expect from a 2D Mario. Its a enjoyable game, if a little unamblitious and to the numbers. With a few more powerups and new ablities you can unlock with completing them. The new bubble ability is pretty much OP and all you'd need.. aside from the drill that is a required to get through some levels. The new mechanic; Wonder seeds is okay if gimmicky. They are scattered around the levels, that basically warp the world around Mario until you find it; which reminds me of a Sonic CD time warp. And that can make for some trippy an interesting moments. Though not much else to expect from your average modern 2D Mario. Challenging in the later levels which frankly, can lead to quite a few cheap deaths (especialy the insta kill levels) but overall.. Wonder is fairly easy-going and so-not-hard game to jump around and have bit of fun in short bursts. Decent, but missing that Mario magic. 8/10

Last edited by hinch - on 18 November 2023

1) Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5
2) Medium - PS5
3) Ghostwire Tokyo - PS5
4) Jedi Fallen Order - PS5
5) Forspoken - PS5
6) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4
7) Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
8) Scarlet Nexus - PS5
9) Oninaki - PS5
10) The Pedestrian - PS4
11) The Forgotten City - PS5
12) Valkyrie Elysium - PS5
13) Far Cry New Dawn - PS4
14) HFW: Burning shores - PS5
15) Erica - PS4
16) TMNT: SR - PS5
17) Dead Island 2 - PS5
18) Gotham Knights - PS5
19) Neo: The World Ends with you - PS4
20) Trek to Yomi - PS4
21) Final Fantasy XVI - PS5
22) Alan Wake - PS4
23) Dreams SP - PS4
24) Star Wars Sky Walker Saga - PS5
25) Tchia - PS5
26) Resident Evil 4 Remake - PS5
27) Warhammer Chaosbane - PS4
28) Soulstice - PS4
29) Unpacking - PS4
30) Saints Row - PS5
31) Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - PS5
32) No More Heroes 3

One new game to add this time.

Finished Games:

1. Monster Hunter World (+Iceborne) (PS4) My rating: 9/10
    • I spent roughly 150 hours playing through MHW, and I never once got tired of hunting monsters and trying to find more materials to craft new weapons and armor. 
  2. Superhot (PS4) My rating: 8/10
    • A fun puzzle game with a unique gimmick and a clever twist to its story. 
  3. Control (PS4) My rating: 9 / 10
    • Remedy's best game so far. I love the setting, story, characters, and gameplay. The developer has created a world that is wonderfully twisted in various small ways, leading to a constant sense of unease as nothing feels completely right, from the way characters act to the Oldest House itself. 
  4. Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • A wonderful game to just lean back and relax for a while. Something delightfully cathartic to just roll everything in sight into a giant rolling ball of destruction. 
  5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • Been on a really good roll when it comes to video games lately, and Senua's Sacrifice was another great game to add to the list. Ninja Theory have long been one of my favourite developers, but I didn't get around to this game until now for whatever reason. Still, I'm glad I finally did because it's great. The story is well-told and intriguing, but the true star here is Senua herself and her characterization as a person losing her grip on reality and suffering from psychosis. 
  6. Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • A fun, rhythm action game with a few shortcomings that keep if from true greatness. The Hyrule setting is great, and the gameplay is a lot of fun once you get accustomed to it. I played the game through with my wife in co-op, and for the most part it's a great for that. There are a few battles that feel a bit unfair in co-op, but otherwise no issues with the game.
  7. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • Basically a tribute to classic SNES era JRPGs with some modern concessions. The battle system is fast-paced and fun, the story moves at a very brisk pace, and the characters are instantly identifiable as separate people. However, the pace of the story is bit too fast, as very few moments get time to breathe, and as a result end up lacking in impact. It also leaves many of the characters woefully underdeveloped. The game could have taken a little more time to let the story develop. 
  8. Super Mario RPG (SNES) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • I had never actually finished Super Mario RPG before. I had played the very beginning a long time ago on an emulator, but I figured that since I have the SNES classic I should finally get around to playing it properly. I did, and it's good. It's a simple, lighthearted, RPG with a nice, quirky sense of humour and an enjoyable battle system.
  9. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • The first game in the Atelier-series I've actually played, though I've had my eyes on it for a long time. A relaxing, relatively easy RPG with a decent storyline, good cast, surprisingly varied battle system, and an item creation system that actually becomes very deep as the game progresses. Overall, I had a lot of fun with this one, and I'll probably come back for the sequels too at some point.
  10. The Legend of Dragoon (PS4) My Rating: 10 / 10
    • I've talked about this one enough already. One of my favourite games ever. I do wish they would have done a little more with this rerelease, even if it was just an updated translation, because the English language script is just awful, and is easily the worst part of the game. The voice acting is the one other notable shortcoming, though that's more a sign of the era it was released in than anything else.
  11. Pinstripe (PC) My Rating: 7 / 10
    • A 2D platformer with a cool art style and responsive gameplay. Not very challenging either. The story is quite good, with a few nice twists thrown in near the end. It is, however, very short, my one playthrough clocking in at barely 2.5 hours. There are two endings, so you can get more out of the game if you want.
  12. AER: Memories of Old (PC) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • A relaxing open world game where the focus is heavily on just flying around the world solving simple puzzles and listening to the story unfold. A nice little game to just wind down and experience once. The idea of a character being able to just turn into a bird at will and fly around the world freely is something I'd like to see explored more in games.
  13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS3) My Rating: 9 / 10
    • The third time I've played through DS2. Still the weakest in the series, still great, though I have to admit the game's flaws become more and more apparent as time passes and new games show how things can be done better. Will probably fall down a bit in my year end top 50.
  14. Astro's Playroom (PS5) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • Finally bought a PS5 for myself, and it felt fitting to play Astro's Playroom first. A genuinely fun, nostalgia-filled journey through the history of PlayStation. An easy game to play, but it's a perfect showcase for the controller, and I had a smile on my face through most of the game as I came across all the little nods, references and Easter eggs to past games and consoles found everywhere. 
  15. Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores (PS5) My Rating: 9/10
    • I spent almost 90 hours in this game over the last few weeks, and I never once got bored of playing it. I loved the expanded gameplay options from the first game, the increased focus on character development, the continuation of the story to some really unexpected directions, and the setting in general. While the first game felt like Aloy's journey to discover the history of the world as well as her own past, FW was much more about her learning to trust others and forging closer relationships with people, while obviously also fighting to save the world. 
  16. Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) My Rating: 9.5/10
    • This was my third time playing through Valkyria Chronicles after I realized that it had been almost ten years since I last played it. Still remains one of my all-time favourite games, with a great story, excellent characters, beautiful visuals, a satisfying battle system, and one of Hitoshi Sakimoto's best scores, which is saying a lot. 
  17. The Legend of Heroes: Trails From Zero (PS4) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • The 8th game in The Legend of Heroes-series I've finished, and I have to say it's one of the weaker ones as a whole. Admittedly, the bar for me is quite high when it comes to this series, and even a game this good isn't among the best in it. Basically, this is still an excellent game in just about every aspect, but the characters, storyline, and music just don't quite reach the heights of the Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel subseries.
  18. Gravity Rush (PS4) My Rating: 8/10
    • Another replay I decided to do when I realized it'd been almost six years since I played Gravity Rush. Still a thoroughly enjoyable game, with unique gameplay revolving around the use of gravity, a fascinating world, and an interesting set of main characters. Need to replay the sequel at some point as well.
  19. Stray (PS5) My Rating: 8/10
    • Another game with a wonderfully realized world, a beautiful visual style, and certainly a unique perspective from which the player experiences it. Stray may not be a masterpiece, but it certainly warranted the hype it received from being "the cat game". A fun journey that lasts just long enough, and doesn't overstay its welcome. 
  20. FAR: Lone Sails (PC) My Rating: 7.5/10
    • A simple, quite intentionally straightforward game that lets the players' imagination fill in the finer details of the game's world and story. A short experience as well, as my first time playthrough was done in well under three hours. Very much a game where the journey matters more than the destination.
  21. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • A mixed bag of a JRPG that gets great over time, but takes too long to get there in my opinion. Could have easily been 10 to 15 hours shorter and very little of value would have been lost. Still, I am looking forward to getting to the sequels at some point.
  22. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) My Rating: 9/10
    • As of this writing, FFXVI is my GotY for 2023. While I can't call it flawless, I absolutely loved the vast majority of what this game had to offer. The world of Valisthea is a wonderfully crafted place where each region has a very distinct look and feel to them, all the way down to their dialects and naming convention. The story is great, and the characters are also really well rounded and feel like actual people, especially if you take your time to do the various side quests that flesh out the world and the various people you meet. The action-based gameplay was a lot of fun, and the sheer scale that the Eikon fights grow to is genuinely awe-inspiring. The music by Masayoshi Soken is also exceptional, one of the best original video game scores of 2023. Overall, FFXVI is an excellent game. Close to some of the series best entries in fact, though not quite at the very top tier. 
  23. Alan Wake Remastered (PS5) My Rating: 7.5/10
    • A very good action-horror game, though I'd call it more of a thriller than actual horror. Solid characters, story and setting, with some decent writing. The gameplay can get a bit repetitive in the long run, and in the two DLC add-ons "The Signal" and "The Writer, some of the battle sections can get really frustrating. This really isn't a very fluid game in terms of gameplay, but one could argue that works in the game's favour in creating tension, and for the most part it works. Only once in a while does the experience veer into the realm of annoyance. Not the developer's best work, but still enjoyable.
  24. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered (PS4) My Rating: 9/10
    • About the fifth time or so that I've beaten FFVIII, just used the remaster as an excuse really. Still great, still love it.
  25. Spider-Man (PS4) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • Took me long enough to get around to this one, and largely the game was worth the wait. Great, varied gameplay, wonderful open world, and decent characters and story. The real star is the traversal mechanics, but just about everything about the game is great. Not quite among my favourite open world games, but certainly very good still.
  26. Octopath Traveler II (PS5) My Rating: 8.5/10
    • The second best 2023 release I've played and finished, after Final Fantasy XVI. I've never actually played the first Octopath Traveler, but fortunately the two games are entirely separate in terms of their stories and characters so it doesn't matter. This is a great RPG, with very well written characters, great, engaging storylines for each of the eight protagonists, fun, tactical battle system, the best soundtrack of 2023 in my opinion, and some of the most beautiful pixel art of any game I've ever seen. The intentional old-school look is wonderful, and this is an absolutely beautiful game. The main issue the game has is that the character specific storylines are very insular and separated from each other, even after all the characters are already traveling together. Fortunately, there are chapters where they do interact and work together, and all the separate stories do ultimately build up to a shared final chapter where all characters are involved. It's actually fascinating how the game very subtly and quietly is constantly building up a connecting storyline between all of the eight separate stories, much of which the player probably won't even realize is happening until late into the game. A great game all things considered, and with a few tweaks here and there we could be looking at something exceptional in the next one should they continue this series in the future.

Actively Playing:

Games in Queue:

• Persona 5 Royal
  • The Witcher-trilogy
  • Demon's Souls
  • Nier: Replicant
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir 
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • God of War: Ragnarök
  • ...and too many others to list

More than 3 months after updating my list, I'm back !

Gonna count finished VR games as well too since I'm on the Quest 3 as well. I'm on the hot trails of finishing the Super Mario RPG remake too(with the post game bosses n all !)

Finished games :

- Live A Live remake (NS)

-Pacman World Re-Pac (NS)

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 : Future Redeemed (Switch)

- Octopath Traveler II (NS)

- Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (NS)

- Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NS)

- Anonymous ; Code (NS) - It has surpassed the previous VN I played which was Master Detective. Really interesting cast and great thematics employed as per usual from the ADV guys. Also it prolly has the most distinctive and personally interesting artstyle of the whole series with the blending of comic book-esque shaders n all.

Red Matter (Quest 3) - It was a great tech demo of it's time when the Quest 2 was fresh off release. Game is holding up well too, the puzzles have quite a good difficulty curve to them but some are also obnoxiously difficult or tedious to perform but still really rewarding to pull off. Some eerie horror-ish moments to keep on your toes of a mystery to figure out. A great setup for its sequel, if not a bit "short", took me 5 hours still. 

The 7th Guest VR (Quest 3) - A game that understands the appeal of the old FMV point n click game era, but manages to modernize to the new medium of VR. The puzzle aspect is imo more enjoyable than what I experienced with Red Matter for example, more toughout and still more forgiving with it's hint system. It's not a horror game per say but the mansion and it sounds are infectious on your mind. Story kept all that good B-movie mystery suspense vibe of the early 90's. Nicely acted though. 

Super Mario RPG Remake (NS) -  Appart of the post game rematch with bosses and other details, we are looking at a most faitful remake of a SNES. Really charming, great remixed soundtrack. We see some of the earliest interpretation of our Mushroom Kingdom warriors in their "3D" glory days,.now actually 3D.Yet, it hasn't made me changed my view on Geno. He isn't worthy of Smash representation lol.

Currently playing :

- Super Mario Wonder (NS)

- Detective Pikachu Returns (NS)

- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NS)

- Beat Saber (Quest 3)

To be played :

- Red Matter 2 (Quest 3)

- Asgard's Wrath (Quest 3)

- Arizona Sunshine 2 (Quest 3)

- Sea of Stars (NS) 

- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909