By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Activision is pissed off at the FTC and Sony, Activision COD developers are too angry thats scary

Mummelmann said:

It benefits gamers that massive conglomerates absorb more and more studios and publishers? You can have any opinion you want, but to see this merger as beneficial to gamers and that it will increase competition is quite the stretch. Let's not forget what happened when Activision and Blizzard merged, it's not like it kickstarted a series of some of the biggest and worst douche moves against gamers and old fans that we ever saw. Blizzard's fall from grace literally ties directly into merging with Activision. In my ideal world, most developers would be independent, or at the very least have complete creative control without publisher meddling and top-down control with maximum profits on behalf of boards being the sole purpose of the industry. I don't want Sony to acquire more studios with the intent of shutting out other gamers on other platforms either.

Basically this. The pro-buyout people are full of shit when it comes to this statement of “it benefits gamers.”

They never explain how it’s beneficial for massive conglomerates to swallow up companies. They also completely ignore the long history of criticism of these sorts of deals being called consistently since the days of Adam Smith.

And then when anyone is pushed about the benefits. They  being up l whataboutisms like “Disney + Fox” - yeah, that was bad too, and the FTC shouldn’t have approved that either. And these manufactured “crusades against big tech” arguments are based on pure stinky sensationalist fantasy. I mean, in reality, the FTC and governments should be on a crusade against big tech—big tech is eating up large portions of the economy more than any other industry right now: they’re basically taking over news and advertisement sectors and that’s something the democratic governments of the world should be against. Anyway, the last time I saw that argument in the forum, the guy even labelled Microsoft as the top tech company, and still supported them swallowing up third parties.

*As a note, I don’t agree that Microsoft is the largest “big tech” company. But the fact that a guy supported the largest big tech company swallowing up third parties really just shows how corrupt the mindset of people are by the advertisement of this idea being beneficial to gamers, without there being any actual truth to that statement.

Bottom line, people shouldn’t blindly support these sorts of corporate gorging deals just because it supports some bias, agenda, or bandwagon they happened to jump on without thinking. Large conglomerates swallowing up other large companies (or smaller competitive companies, for that matter) is unhealthy.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 December 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Ashadelo said:

This has really spiraled out of control. None of us know all the details that are going on behind the scenes, but Microsoft could possibly bring up Square-Enix and Sony's relationship, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, I - VI remasters, etc. I sure there might be some fuel for their argument there. If Sony is negotiating with 3rd party developers to keep games of Xbox (this has been one of their tactics since PS1) then would not the FTC also have to examine both sides of the equation?

The FTC doesn't study deals, they study acquisitions mostly. The FF remasters also come to Switch, so SE might just not bother to port them to Xbox. The same way FTV also doesn't look in the Ark 2 deal for example. 

Exactly, no where does Square or Sony even state the remasters are from a paid deal especially when it's going to Switch and PS4 with no native PS5 sku so he's mistaken on that one. 

Also, since release Crisis Core has never made it to the most played list on Xbox in the US. The highest it got was the 42nd spot and dropped out of the top 50 afterwards. Diofield and Star Ocean also bombed on Xbox in the recent months. Octopath Traveler must not have done well either as part 2 is skipping Xbox. The fact of the matter is Xbox users are not buying enough of SE's games and now the publisher has lost faith in releasing their games on that platform. They have only themselves to blame for this. This is a platform community problem, not a Sony problem.  

Jumpin said:

Mummelmann said:

It benefits gamers that massive conglomerates absorb more and more studios and publishers? You can have any opinion you want, but to see this merger as beneficial to gamers and that it will increase competition is quite the stretch. Let's not forget what happened when Activision and Blizzard merged, it's not like it kickstarted a series of some of the biggest and worst douche moves against gamers and old fans that we ever saw. Blizzard's fall from grace literally ties directly into merging with Activision. In my ideal world, most developers would be independent, or at the very least have complete creative control without publisher meddling and top-down control with maximum profits on behalf of boards being the sole purpose of the industry. I don't want Sony to acquire more studios with the intent of shutting out other gamers on other platforms either.

Basically this. The pro-buyout people are full of shit when it comes to this statement of “it benefits gamers.”

They never explain how it’s beneficial for massive conglomerates to swallow up companies. They also completely ignore the long history of criticism of these sorts of deals being called consistently since the days of Adam Smith.

And then when anyone is pushed about the benefits. They  being up l whataboutisms like “Disney + Fox” - yeah, that was bad too, and the FTC shouldn’t have approved that either. And these manufactured “crusades against big tech” arguments are based on pure stinky sensationalist fantasy. The last time I saw that argument in the forum, the guy even labelled Microsoft as the top tech company, and still supported them swallowing up third parties.

Bottom line, people shouldn’t blindly support these sorts of corporate gorging deals just because it supports their bias or bandwagon selection. Large conglomerates swallowing up other large companies (or smaller competitive companies, for that matter) is unhealthy.

No massive company getting more massive benefits us as end users, in any way. As for promises made by MS in this particular case, I will simply add that MS has a long history of antitrust behaviors, running all the way back to MS-DOS days, and spanning anything from media players, to browsers, to unfair OS fees to squeeze out competition. Add to that the fact that MS centrally has been hassling the Xbox division for over a decade, citing its failure to become properly profitable (some might argue that fewer software units sold on competing platforms will impact them negatively; this is moot considering they seem to be aiming for Live Service and subscription models going forward). There's no reason to think that this will be a good thing, for anyone. And, yes, the Disney/Fox merger was bullshit as well, there's similar reason to criticize AT&Ts handling of the Discovery group, when it merged with WarnerBros. Disney has been worrying me for years, they have way too much pull as is.

For me, there's no fandom involvement, I don't even own current gen consoles at the moment, and I play almost solely on PC. But these types of deals, and the overall direction of huge publishers and companies swallowing developers, is not a positive direction for us to cheer on. As for the crusade against big tech companies; I can only say that we need someone to keep these behemoths in check. Seeing what sort of power and influence they have is terrifying, to say the least. I suspect Americans have widely different views on these matters than most of us from Western Europe, companies running rampant and overtaking the state and other entities as superpowers is more or less the norm overseas.

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 28 December 2022

I thought its obvious how it will. Benefit gamers but people dont see it. 

1) you don't need an xbox to have access to gamepass. It can be accessed via TV, tablet, mobile phone and pc. The amount of people that uses 1 or all of them is huge. Bigger market to target. 

2) gamepass allows people Inc ountries where they can't afford to buy 70 usd games all the time when new ones comes out. Gamepass is much more affordable for those people. It allows them to play more games then they normally would. That alone is attractive and will attract more gamers or people who are on cusp of being a gamer and want to try it out. 

3) cod games will also be on nintendo. That hasn't been done in while. Nintendo has quite a large fan base. Imagine having cod on the go! Or even warzone.. Adding additional platforms increases the user base. More people get to play cod. Not just cod on Nintendo but cod using xcloud is also viable and a good thing. 

4) having abk studious under ms and having access to gamepass day 1,developers can take risk and make different type of games and put them on gamepass. This greatly benefit gamers as we will get more variety in the type of games we play.. More new ip is always a good thing. Also developers can also revive old famous ip that has been dominant and put them on gamepass. Gamers will benefit as that's more games to play for cheap. 

Gamepass is the most consumer friendly services that has ever graced the console industry. From my experience, I have played games that normally I wouldn't play or try. That alone is great for gamers and developers alike. 

To be honest, this abk deal that sony is trying to prevent has nothing to do with Cod. Sony doesn't want cod to be in gamepass day 1. They don't want the scenario if gamepass vs paying 70 usd for physical copy. They believe that the scenario will take Sony customer base and bring that to ms side. 

Jumpin said:

Mummelmann said:

And then when anyone is pushed about the benefits. They  being up l whataboutisms like “Disney + Fox” - yeah, that was bad too, and the FTC shouldn’t have approved that either. And these manufactured “crusades against big tech” arguments are based on pure stinky sensationalist fantasy. I mean, in reality, the FTC and governments should be on a crusade against big tech—big tech is eating up large portions of the economy more than any other industry right now: they’re basically taking over news and advertisement sectors and that’s something the democratic governments of the world should be against. Anyway, the last time I saw that argument in the forum, the guy even labelled Microsoft as the top tech company, and still supported them swallowing up third parties.

*As a note, I don’t agree that Microsoft is the largest “big tech” company. But the fact that a guy supported the largest big tech company swallowing up third parties really just shows how corrupt the mindset of people are by the advertisement of this idea being beneficial to gamers, without there being any actual truth to that statement.

Bottom line, people shouldn’t blindly support these sorts of corporate gorging deals just because it supports some bias, agenda, or bandwagon they happened to jump on without thinking. Large conglomerates swallowing up other large companies (or smaller competitive companies, for that matter) is unhealthy.

Blood_Tears said:
Qwark said:

The FTC doesn't study deals, they study acquisitions mostly. The FF remasters also come to Switch, so SE might just not bother to port them to Xbox. The same way FTV also doesn't look in the Ark 2 deal for example. 

Exactly, no where does Square or Sony even state the remasters are from a paid deal especially when it's going to Switch and PS4 with no native PS5 sku so he's mistaken on that one. 

Also, since release Crisis Core has never made it to the most played list on Xbox in the US. The highest it got was the 42nd spot and dropped out of the top 50 afterwards. Diofield and Star Ocean also bombed on Xbox in the recent months. Octopath Traveler must not have done well either as part 2 is skipping Xbox. The fact of the matter is Xbox users are not buying enough of SE's games and now the publisher has lost faith in releasing their games on that platform. They have only themselves to blame for this. This is a platform community problem, not a Sony problem.  

I agree. This whole thing is more or less a brand of “red herring” and “whataboutism” where they accuse company x of behaving unfairly too, rather than addressing the actual situation of whether company y should be allowed to swallow company z. Not only is the comparison irrelevant, but it’s not even comparable.

Final Fantasy isn’t a major brand on Xbox. Dev resources aren’t infinite. Sony and Square have a long term business to business friendship—so, there is loyalty there. Yet the assumption is being pushed that Sony is somehow bribing Square to keep their games off of Xbox when no such bribe is necessary. It’s a really bad argument on the pro-“Microsoft eat Activision and Blizzard” side.

In the end, the whole argument is straight up bad. The reality is Square Enix is a separate company, they’re not owned by Sony, and they’re not being secretly controlled by money hats to be exclusive to Sony, either.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Blood_Tears said:

I agree. This whole thing is more or less a brand of “red herring” and “whataboutism” where they accuse company x of behaving unfairly too, rather than addressing the actual situation of whether company y should be allowed to swallow company z. Not only is the comparison irrelevant, but it’s not even comparable.

Final Fantasy isn’t a major brand on Xbox. Dev resources aren’t infinite. Sony and Square have a long term business to business friendship—so, there is loyalty there. Yet the assumption is being pushed that Sony is somehow bribing Square to keep their games off of Xbox when no such bribe is necessary. It’s a really bad argument on the pro-“Microsoft eat Activision and Blizzard” side.

In the end, the whole argument is straight up bad. The reality is Square Enix is a separate company, they’re not owned by Sony, and they’re not being secretly controlled by money hats to be exclusive to Sony, either.

It's also funny that when Square (or other 3rd party devs) makes exclusive games and series for Nintendo nobody bats an eye. I think it's absolutely fine though, Square likes having a close relationship with both PlayStation and Nintendo. Usually either of them helps them out with financing/marketing their big projects. Dragon Quest XI also skipped Xbox without any exclusive deal in place. The definitive edition launched on Switch first and after on PlayStation. So who knows what the future will bring since titles as KH3 also directly launched on Xbox.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Jumpin said:

It's also funny that when Square (or other 3rd party devs) makes exclusive games and series for Nintendo nobody bats an eye. I think it's absolutely fine though, Square likes having a close relationship with both PlayStation and Nintendo. Usually either of them helps them out with financing/marketing their big projects. Dragon Quest XI also skipped Xbox without any exclusive deal in place. The definitive edition launched on Switch first and after on PlayStation. So who knows what the future will bring since titles as KH3 also directly launched on Xbox.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest 11 S is on Gamepass, Maybe Microsoft pays the biggest IP from AAA 3rd parties to put on Gamepass or the smallest of Indies like Chain Echoes. Though there is Danganronpa series not sure about the rest of the Catalog of Square Maybe they wanna sell without gamepass? But Octopath Traveller was on Gamepass and Square didnt mind?

Mummelmann said:

As for exclusives, I find 3rd party exclusives to be more or less bullshit, keep it to the 2nd and 1st parties to supply platforms with exclusive content.

I'm also wondering how exactly Call of Duty "faces intense competition worldwide"? What other FPS franchise even comes close? CoD is the world's 3rd largest franchise in revenue, behind only Pokemon and Mario, it's also the 3rd best-selling franchise of all time, behind only Pokemon and Tetris. The closest FPS franchise in terms of revenue is Battlefield, way down at 41st place. Again, regardless of ones general opinion on this case, this is just plain BS. CoD has over 300 million more copies sold than the closest FPS competitor.

Care explain how it doesn't benefit gamers other then Sony?. And even then it also does look at Fallout 76 ;launching on Ps+.

Nintendo 10 year plan.

Sony 10 year plan if they want it.

Pc gamers still get all their games anyways except now we can get them on gamepass.

This isnt the movie industry where the is only a few devs that can brake in, this is gaming. The is lots of studios that could take their place.

Mummelmann said:

As for exclusives, I find 3rd party exclusives to be more or less bullshit, keep it to the 2nd and 1st parties to supply platforms with exclusive content.

I'm also wondering how exactly Call of Duty "faces intense competition worldwide"? What other FPS franchise even comes close? CoD is the world's 3rd largest franchise in revenue, behind only Pokemon and Mario, it's also the 3rd best-selling franchise of all time, behind only Pokemon and Tetris. The closest FPS franchise in terms of revenue is Battlefield, way down at 41st place. Again, regardless of ones general opinion on this case, this is just plain BS. CoD has over 300 million more copies sold than the closest FPS competitor.

Paying $70 for COD and Diablo IV doesn't benefit me in the slightest, I can tell you that. That is nine months worth of Gamepass ultimate right there.

And yes, I agree that if MS gets to be at the top they will stop being consumer friendly (and become just like Sony), but the thing is, even with Activision, they STILL won't be anywhere near at a monopoly level or even at the top of the gaming market so..

Besides, one thing that you guys haven't considered is that Sony will need to try harder. Who knows? they might start putting their first party titles on their subscription service 3 to 5 months after release, and they might even start offering free upgrades for their games, or start offering more games from their "classics" library, or start offering a "play anywhere" option where you can buy the game on your PS and get to play them on PC as well.

They might also realize that hiding the microtransactions in a $70 game until after the reviews embargo lifts is not okay.

Jumpin said:
Blood_Tears said:

Except we know that alot of what you are saying here is false. There is tons of evidence that Sony is paying for exclusivity on various franchises. Publishers don't give out timed exclusivity deals that have set time periods on them for free, that makes zero sense. FF7R was shown at a Sony show with a trailer that stated it was a timed exclusive like a year before it released, and the case for the game also stated it was timed exclusive. 

Then the timed exclusivity period lapsed, and the game still hadn't been ported to Xbox. Then Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade was announced for PS5 a month later and people naturally assumed that Sony has paid to extend the deal by another year. Problem is, another year passed and the game still wasn't announced for Xbox. Now we have Microsoft stating in official documents to regulators that Sony paid to keep Final Fantasy off of Xbox. And the language of the Final Fantasy 16 exclusivity deal and the Forspoken exclusivity deals also suggest timed hats by Sony, 1 year for FF16 and 2 years for Forspoken. Same goes for Platinum's Babylon's Fall, also published by Square Enix (though it flopped so hard that it died, meaning it will never come to other platforms for sure). It has also been heavily speculated that Valkyrie Elysium was a timed hat console exclusive for Sony from Square. 

Yes, development resources are limited and sometimes a console gets exclusives for free because the developer can only work on a single or a few platforms at a time, but you really think that Square Enix chose to invest development resources into Xbox versions of far more niche games like Star Ocean: The Divine Force, The Diofield Chronicle, Chrono Cross Remaster, and Balan Wonderworld, yet don't have the resources to put their biggest franchise onto Xbox? Heck, they put a side Final Fantasy game onto Xbox just earlier this year, Stranger of Paradise, but none of the 3 main series Final Fantasy games that released between 2020-2023 are coming to Xbox currently, you think Square decided to do that all on their own? Come now, that is nonsense and you know it, especially when we know FF15 sold somewhere between 1.5-2m copies on Xbox One (which would have generated at least $50m in revenue against a significantly smaller budget on the Xbox port), and Xbox One was a platform that will have a much smaller install base than Xbox Series will have by the time the 3rd part of FF7R releases, in Japan alone Xbox Series has already almost outsold Xbox One by 4x, by the end of the generation it could possibly be up 10x or more over Xbox One. Square would be foolish to skip Xbox on their biggest franchise unless Sony was paying them to keep it off of Xbox. 

Then we have the various timed exclusive AAA deals they are signing with other publishers, Silent Hill 2 Remake from Konami, Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop from Bethesda, KOTOR Remake from LucasFilm Games. Has been rumored for 2 years now off and on that when Bioshock 4 is officially revealed it will have a Sony timed exclusivity deal in place too. Not to mention the timed exclusive content they have hatted in games like the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy. You can't just bury your head in the sand and pretend that Sony isn't using large amounts of money to keep 3rd party content off of Xbox.

If you want to make the argument that comparing Microsoft acquiring ABK to Sony moneyhatting AAA 3rd party exclusives left and right is false equivalence, then go right ahead, I disagree with you but that is you stating your opinion versus me stating mine. However, don't try to make up facts that say that Square is choosing to give Sony exclusives left and right simply because they have a good relationship or because development resources are too limited to develop Xbox ports for their biggest franchise.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 29 December 2022