By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Official Game of the Year 2022 – Final Voting Now Open!

Per this article on the front page, Final Voting is now open for our 16th annual Game of the Year Awards.

Voting Has Now Closed

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q - When does voting close?

A – Final Voting closes on 3rd January, 2023.

Q - Can I change my vote/edit my voting form after submitting it?

A - Yes, you can edit your voting form up until we close voting.

Q - Do I have to select a game for every award?

A - Nope. Select your favourite for as many or as few categories as you wish. 

Q
- Why can’t I vote for game XXXXXXX?

A – Unfortunately it didn’t make the cut during Preliminary Voting!

Q
– I’d like to see an award for Best XXXXXX, it’s a shame you don’t do one.

A – Let us know in the comments; we’re always open to suggestions, especially for new or replacement categories.  

Q
– How is the winner in each category determined?

A – By a mixture of community and staff voting, weighted 50/50. On the community side we use the Google Form that’s linked above, while on the staff side we vote individually on the staff forums. The staff’s results are converted into percentages for each game in each category. These percentages are combined with the percentages from the community’s results, with the total then being divided by two to get an average. This average determines both the final Shortlist of games to be featured in each award article and the Winners themselves.

Q
- When and how will the Winners be announced?

A – Winners will be announced in a series of articles (as well as a thread I'll post) that we'll start publishing in early January.

Last edited by Machina - on 02 January 2023

Around the Network

Biggest snub: Citizen Sleeper.

For best surprise of the year I will put in a write-in vote for Soulstice

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is an exciting time of the year! I'm especially pumped for the new Compilation category

I look forward to all the results.

Made this comment on main thread, so I might as well copy/paste here:

Hope everyone is mostly happy with the final voting round. If you're interested in getting more out of 2022, I'd suggest the following before casting a final decision:

-Soundtrack: Listen to all nominated OSTs on YouTube or elsewhere (Metal: Hellsinger slays pretty damn hard)
-Games to try/buy: Pentiment, Tinykin, Vampire Survivors, Stray, Chained Echoes, Tunic, Neon White, and... Scorn is more of a maybe. If you appreciate stuff like Cronenberg body horror, you might get behind its vibe. I think most of these are either available on Game Pass, Steam's Winter Sale, or PlayStation/Switch stores too.

Obviously cramming all of these games in may not be healthy, but sneaking a couple in seems doable and might influence some critical decisions.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

For best surprise of the year I will put in a write-in vote for Soulstice

A fellow cultured individual, I see.

"If Xenoblade Chronicles 3 doesn't win, the voting is rigged."

Sorry, this sort of thing seems to be going around here in Arizona.

I'm a bit sad that neither TMNT nor River City Girls 2 made the finals in Best Soundtrack. Fabulous soundtrack on both, better than alot of the games that did make the finals in Best Soundtrack imo.

I love the addition of a Best Compilation category! An excellent way to honor retro packages and engage retro gamers in these awards too. Great idea!

Anyway, shocker: There's almost nothing left of my original selections in the new, trimmed-down version of the survey. Oh well. For the record, they were:

Best Shooter: Never Awake
Best Platformer: Freedom Planet 2
Best Action Game: God of War: Ragnarok
Best Action/Adventure Game: Cult of the Lamb
Best Adventure Game: Perfect Tides
Best Puzzle Game: Didn't vote.
Best Fighting Game: Didn't vote.
Best Racing Game: Didn't vote.
Best RPG: Elden Ring
Best Strategy Game: Didn't vote.
Best Simulation Game: Power Wash Simulator
Best Compilation: Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration
Best Indie Game: Perfect Tides
Best VR Game: Didn't vote.
Best DLC/Expansion: Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
Best Art Direction: Return to Monkey Island
Best Original Music Score: God of War: Ragnarok
Best Supporting Performance: Danielle Bisutti as Freya (God of War: Ragnarok)
Best Lead Performance: Manon Gage as Marissa Marcel (Immortality)
Best Narrative: Perfect Tides
Most Disappointing Game: Overwatch 2
Best Surprise: Never Awake
Most Anticipated Game of 2023: Hollow Knight: Silksong
Overall Game of 2022: Perfect Tides

That said, my selections were not informed by experience with either Pentiment or Neon White, which I'll soon be getting around to because I keep seeing them on so many "best games of 2022" lists and was somewhat interested in both from the outset. So I think that's a noteworthy qualification. Also, my actual most anticipated game is Open Roads, but it couldn't be included in the corresponding category here because, though it's likely to launch next year, there's no firm release date set for it.

Jaicee said:

I love the addition of a Best Compilation category! An excellent way to honor retro packages and engage retro gamers in these awards too. Great idea!

Anyway, shocker: There's almost nothing left of my original selections in the new, trimmed-down version of the survey. Oh well. For the record, they were:

Best Shooter: Never Awake
Best Platformer: Freedom Planet 2
Best Action Game: God of War: Ragnarok
Best Action/Adventure Game: Cult of the Lamb
Best Adventure Game: Perfect Tides
Best Puzzle Game: Didn't vote.
Best Fighting Game: Didn't vote.
Best Racing Game: Didn't vote.
Best RPG: Elden Ring
Best Strategy Game: Didn't vote.
Best Simulation Game: Power Wash Simulator
Best Compilation: Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration
Best Indie Game: Perfect Tides
Best VR Game: Didn't vote.
Best DLC/Expansion: Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
Best Art Direction: Return to Monkey Island
Best Original Music Score: God of War: Ragnarok
Best Supporting Performance: Danielle Bisutti as Freya (God of War: Ragnarok)
Best Lead Performance: Manon Gage as Marissa Marcel (Immortality)
Best Narrative: Perfect Tides
Most Disappointing Game: Overwatch 2
Best Surprise: Never Awake
Most Anticipated Game of 2023: Hollow Knight: Silksong
Overall Game of 2022: Perfect Tides

That said, my selections were not informed by experience with either Pentiment or Neon White, which I'll soon be getting around to because I keep seeing them on so many "best games of 2022" lists and was somewhat interested in both from the outset. So I think that's a noteworthy qualification. Also, my actual most anticipated game is Open Roads, but it couldn't be included in the corresponding category here because, though it's likely to launch next year, there's no firm release date set for it.

Would highly recommend both games; Neon White is especially well worth your time if you're into action games.

I'll have to try out Perfect Tides before the year is done; heard nothing but good things about it.