By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Might Sony go with a two-SKU strategy next-gen (like Microsoft did with Series S)?

Will Sony launch with two SKUs next-gen?

Yes, a regular & weaker PS6 at launch 6 17.65%

A PS5 Pro will be the budget option 4 11.76%

The PS5 will be the budget option 3 8.82%

PS5'll end immediately at PS6 launch 0 0%

No, a PS6 and later a PS6 Pro next-gen 18 52.94%

Yes, but the weaker one after launch 1 2.94%

Other (please explain in the comments) 2 5.88%

Total:34

There won't be a ps6. Cloud streaming is the future. Google was too early with the idea and had bad price structures.

Around the Network
scrapking said:
DonFerrari said:

Whenever I make a PC that is my mindset, pick up the middle ground where I can have the best performance per cost to hold 5 years at decent level, and if I have a surplus of money perhaps upgrade midway, but to get the very best and hold over 5 years without upgrade would be to costly and without that big of an impact (cost benefit for me).

Interestingly, that's how I feel about the Series S.  When my options are a PS4 on the low-end, or a PS5/Series X on the high ground, the Series S *IS* the middle ground surely?  And, especially if we don't end up with Pro consoles this gen, the extended cross-gen period, plus game subscription services that include lots of PS4/Xbox One games, and game streaming, I expect last-gen consoles to remain surprisingly relevant through this-gen.  And that will effectively keep the Series S the mid-range option throughout.

For me the Series S isn't a middle ground because the extra price for PS5/X isn't that big. But yes for the general market I agree it can work like that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

scrapking said:
DonFerrari said:

Same here. I do think the hybrid idea was great for Nintendo, but the core of that was unified architecture and development. A more powerful fully table console to make the games look and play better would be a plus imho.

Me three.  I would potentially be interested in a home console version of the Switch.  No screen, two cartridge ports, more internal storage, and sell it for around the same cost as the Switch Lite.  They could sell that sucker at a profit, I suspect, because the screen is probably a pretty big chunk of the system's cost.

I think they should have also released a "Switch Pro" a few years back that was powerful enough to offer docked performance in handheld mode.  But that's not enough of an upgrade now, so releasing that now wouldn't make sense.

Screen, battery, small package ads to the cost of making it portable =] (I would just add that for the table version I would be fine with a 300-400 price as a Pro version, same architeture and games but with higher performance)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

scrapking said:
Kyuu said:

Well I apologize for misquoting you but you said Microsoft's (Phil Spencer's) assumption made sense so it looked like you shared their opinion. I don't think their assumption/expectation ever made sense. They underestimated the appeal of a brand new $400-$500 powerful hardware and overestimated the Series S based on poor analogies.

Idk about the Series X, but the PS5 physical edition (which is slightly less powerful) made profit a few months into the generation... until the economical shifts complicated things. I still think PS5 will follow a fairly similar price drop trajectory to PS4 from here on out, with the Digital Edition eventually costing as little as $250-$300 (vs $200 for the much weaker Series S). I think a mass-porduced Series X with two configurations would have been the better strategy for the long term, even if it required slightly lowering the specs in favor of higher quantities.

When the PS5 revision launches later this year, I expect Sony to drop the price outside the US back to its original price or lower, and to start pushing the new "Digital Edition" (namely the PS5 without the disc drive add-on). It looks to me that hardware wise, Playstation's approach was the correct one. Hence copying Microsoft would be wrong imo.

No worries.  :)  I don't share all of Spencer's assumptions, no.  But I shared his perspective as an FYI.

It's impossible to know what to make of the PS5 (optical drive edition) being profitable after a year or so, because we don't know how much of a loss they were taking up-front.  It's a big difference if it goes from costing $525 to make down to $475, than if it goes from $600 to $400, for example.  We don't know enough to draw strong conclusions from that.

I remain curious why you think Microsoft made the wrong call, when this is the strongest start to a generation Microsoft has had yet.  Seems like the market is embracing their decision.  It's entirely possible that Sony and Microsoft *each* made the right call, as perhaps each of them made the right decision for their respective market segments and brands, in fact.  COVID was a double-edged sword, increasing demand but reducing supply, so I'm not sure it had a huge net effect.

As for long-term pricing, time will tell.  Perhaps in several years one of us can come back to this thread and comment.  However, I don't see why a PS5 slim would drop as low as $250, yet you think the Series S is only likely to drop down to $200?  Can you explain why such a small delta between them?

I'm skeptical of any PS5 variant dropping as low as $250.  Heck, the PS4 slim's MSRP is still $299.99, and it's been over 9 years.

X1 had a stronger start of gen than X360, so would you call that a success?

Also considering Sony had PS4 outselling PS2 aligned for a long time, and PS5 would be outselling PS4 without the shortages (and will go back to outsell it from 2023 onward by Sony projections) it doesn't seem like Sony needs to copy MS.

No thanks. Nope.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The Ryzen 6000 mobile chips are already dangerously close to the series S in terms of performance (both CPU and GPU) and I'm fairly sure that by 2025, even the PS5 and XSX will be getting in range of AMD's APUs.

Some Ryzen 6000 mobile chips are definitely better than the Series S on the CPU front already.

The 6980HX based on Zen 3+, 3.3Ghz-5Ghz, 16MB L3 cache kinda makes the Series S 3.4-3.6Ghz Zen 2, 8MB L3 seem whimpy by comparison.
Plus the move from Zen 2 to Zen 3 had 19% more performance at the same clock...

Series S has a 20CU/1280 Shader GPU @1.565Ghz fed by 224GB/s of memory bandwidth... Which places it in the same rough ballpark as a GPU sitting just below the Radeon RX 6500XT. (Mostly thanks to Infinity cache and 1ghz higher core clock that is.)

None of AMD's APU's in the PC space have a GPU with the memory bandwidth that can match the Series S... So in order to get "competitive" results you need to cut back on features that gobble up fillrate/memory bandwidth and push up effects that suck up compute time instead.

The Series S is a very low-end device by PC standards... Heck the Xbox Series X/Playstation 5 is mid-range... But that also doesn't say much as the PC high-end has climbed a few tiers (and cost) over the past decade... Does mean we will need mid-cycle refreshes to keep consoles competitive with mid-range PC gaming.

It would be nice if one could install a bog-standard Windows 11 on a Microsoft console with all the appropriate drivers and then benchmark them against a normal PC.

I don't think that the bandwidth is as much of an advantage. I mean, the 1050Ti has about twice the Bandwidth yet is only similar to the performance of the 680m in the 6800H. And while it's a bit limiting on the APU, it's also the reason why there's only 12CU, and why the Phoenix APUs coming in March are also limited to 12CU (and why AMD stuck so long with Vega 8). The 7040 series APUs will also come with 32MiB of L3 cache vs 16 on the 6000 series, which will certainly also alleviate the bottleneck to some degree.

Phoenix will also have more Bandwidth than the 6000 series, which was limited to DDR5-4800 or LPDDR5 of the same speed (linking the 7735 as it's basically a 6900HS refresh, resulting in about 40GB/s). The 7040 will go up to DDR5-5600 or LPDD5-7500 (45GB/s and 60GB/s respectively), reducing the bottleneck, especially with the latter option. Additionally, the GPU clock can go up to 3000 Mhz, though probably not sustainable at that speed.

With all these improvements, I expect the performance improvement of the 780m over the 680m to be ~15-20% with DDR5 and up to 35% (limited by the TDP) for the LPDDR5 variant, which should make it compete with the 1650 or even 1060 - despite them having 2-4 times the bandwidth.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 January 2023

Chrkeller said:

There won't be a ps6. Cloud streaming is the future. Google was too early with the idea and had bad price structures.

If that's the future, I'll gladly continue playing retro games and not care about those.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

If that's the future, I'll gladly continue playing retro games and not care about those.

Same here.  Especially with emulation being so easy in today's world.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I don't think that the bandwidth is as much of an advantage. I mean, the 1050Ti has about twice the Bandwidth yet is only similar to the performance of the 680m in the 6800H. And while it's a bit limiting on the APU, it's also the reason why there's only 12CU, and why the Phoenix APUs coming in March are also limited to 12CU (and why AMD stuck so long with Vega 8). The 7040 series APUs will also come with 32MiB of L3 cache vs 16 on the 6000 series, which will certainly also alleviate the bottleneck to some degree.

Newer GPU's can do more with less memory bandwidth... Things like compression, culling, buffering are all a thing, so it's only natural that over time you can do more with less... Which is why IGP's can compete with low-end GPU's over time.

Also... The number of CU's is only part of the story... Remember, AMD actually started out with Vega 11 APU's in it's mobile chips, but eventually downgraded to Vega 8... Which actually offered more performance. - How? Clockspeeds, bandwidth.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Phoenix will also have more Bandwidth than the 6000 series, which was limited to DDR5-4800 or LPDDR5 of the same speed (linking the 7735 as it's basically a 6900HS refresh, resulting in about 40GB/s). The 7040 will go up to DDR5-5600 or LPDD5-7500 (45GB/s and 60GB/s respectively), reducing the bottleneck, especially with the latter option. Additionally, the GPU clock can go up to 3000 Mhz, though probably not sustainable at that speed.

With all these improvements, I expect the performance improvement of the 780m over the 680m to be ~15-20% with DDR5 and up to 35% (limited by the TDP) for the LPDDR5 variant, which should make it compete with the 1650 or even 1060 - despite them having 2-4 times the bandwidth.

I prefer not to make assumption on hardwares capabilities when they haven't released yet.

However, keep in mind the age of the 1060 which released in 2016... It turns 7 years old this year, it's only natural that integrated graphics would eventually catch up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Newer GPU's can do more with less memory bandwidth... Things like compression, culling, buffering are all a thing, so it's only natural that over time you can do more with less... Which is why IGP's can compete with low-end GPU's over time.

Also... The number of CU's is only part of the story... Remember, AMD actually started out with Vega 11 APU's in it's mobile chips, but eventually downgraded to Vega 8... Which actually offered more performance. - How? Clockspeeds, bandwidth.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I prefer not to make assumption on hardwares capabilities when they haven't released yet.

However, keep in mind the age of the 1060 which released in 2016... It turns 7 years old this year, it's only natural that integrated graphics would eventually catch up.

I agree. But the way you worded it before sounded like "It can't get close to the performance of the Series S due to it's larger bandwidth", and I just wanted to show that even with less bandwidth, the APU is in the ballpark of GPUs with much more bandwidth to counter that statement.

7 years old and yet still one of the most widespread GPUs on Steam... That's as if the Riva TNT2, a DirectX 6 card, was still one of the most widespread GPUs when the 7900 GTX released, the last DX 9 generation.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 January 2023