By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My Love-Hate Relationship with the Consoles

ZyroXZ2 said:

Well... here's the thing that's often not talked about: other than online multiplayer games (duh, right?), Xbox's Series quick resume works EXACTLY as you describe and PERSISTS BEYOND POWER OFF.

Case in point: when I was playing Ni no Kuni off Game Pass, the save points are a little more, erhm, "classic".  There's no auto-save, so you have to make it to a save point.  I decided to risk trying quick resume because I knew but never tested that it creates a save state rather than just "suspending" the game.  Lo and behold, it works: I simply home screen, and power OFF my Xbox.  This includes the fact that I also turn OFF the power strip that powers all my consoles because I don't want them drawing "ghost" energy (all of my non-essential electronics are actually TOTALLY disconnected until use; example here is my Keurig.  I literally unplug my Keurig and only plug it to make a cup of coffee!).

Welp, I flip the power strip back on, turn my Xbox back on, select Ni no Kuni, and BOOM, it's exactly where I left it.  This apparently works for up to five games at once.  This is a feature NO OTHER PLATFORM HAS AT ALL, but you know, hating Xbox is still the easier thing to do because they remain in third place in terms of market share lol

So yea, what you want actually exists, but it's only on a single platform: Xbox Series X|S hahaha

Lol have you been drinking? It's a trade off between disk space and minor power use for convenience. Series uses multiple Hiberfil.sys files to save the entire memory state of the game on disk, just like when you hibernate your laptop. I disabled hibernate and deleted Hiberfil.sys on my laptop since it is just wasting space of my 256GB SSD. With 32GB RAM I would be keeping 8% of my SSD hostage just in case.

Yep it works better but wasn't an option for the ps5 which already has a smaller SSD. Plus it's not all better otherwise this wouldn't exist:
https://gamertweak.com/disable-turn-off-quick-resume-xbox/

There is no best solution, only trade offs between available resources. If Devs simply let you save when you want, like Half-Life did in '98, quick save / quick load is nothing new, then we wouldn't need quick resume at all! (Well I guess to skip the logos which are now the limiting factor when loading a game lol)

Around the Network
Conina said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Welp, I flip the power strip back on, turn my Xbox back on, select Ni no Kuni, and BOOM, it's exactly where I left it.  This apparently works for up to five games at once.  This is a feature NO OTHER PLATFORM HAS AT ALL, but you know, hating Xbox is still the easier thing to do because they remain in third place in terms of market share lol

So yea, what you want actually exists, but it's only on a single platform: Xbox Series X|S hahaha

Quick resume on Steam Deck is also awesome:

No no, that's suspend, same as the Switch.  That does NOT persist through loss of power or a power cycle/restart, it only persists through suspend the same way the Switch does.  Both cannot be fully powered off when games are suspended, thus drawing the battery slowly.

As of right now, Xbox quick resume is the only one that persists past literally pulling the power plug.  That's what makes it impressive.  Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume, power off, unplug your Series X|S, take it to your friends house, plug it in, and resume exactly where you left it.

SvennoJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Well... here's the thing that's often not talked about: other than online multiplayer games (duh, right?), Xbox's Series quick resume works EXACTLY as you describe and PERSISTS BEYOND POWER OFF.

Case in point: when I was playing Ni no Kuni off Game Pass, the save points are a little more, erhm, "classic".  There's no auto-save, so you have to make it to a save point.  I decided to risk trying quick resume because I knew but never tested that it creates a save state rather than just "suspending" the game.  Lo and behold, it works: I simply home screen, and power OFF my Xbox.  This includes the fact that I also turn OFF the power strip that powers all my consoles because I don't want them drawing "ghost" energy (all of my non-essential electronics are actually TOTALLY disconnected until use; example here is my Keurig.  I literally unplug my Keurig and only plug it to make a cup of coffee!).

Lol have you been drinking? It's a trade off between disk space and minor power use for convenience. Series uses multiple Hiberfil.sys files to save the entire memory state of the game on disk, just like when you hibernate your laptop. I disabled hibernate and deleted Hiberfil.sys on my laptop since it is just wasting space of my 256GB SSD. With 32GB RAM I would be keeping 8% of my SSD hostage just in case.

Yep it works better but wasn't an option for the ps5 which already has a smaller SSD. Plus it's not all better otherwise this wouldn't exist:

There is no best solution, only trade offs between available resources. If Devs simply let you save when you want, like Half-Life did in '98, quick save / quick load is nothing new, then we wouldn't need quick resume at all! (Well I guess to skip the logos which are now the limiting factor when loading a game lol)

Hibernate is as close as it gets, but that's the state of your PC, not storing the state of individual games.  We're talking gaming, here, and I'm not being rude when I say I'm staying on the topic lol

And I can't believe you're out here trying to nitpick storage space, now, though... Come on, you asked for something that does what you want, and it does, but you've moved the goalpost to "well it takes up storage!", sheesh lol... Just say you hate Xbox hahaha

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

No no, that's suspend, same as the Switch.  That does NOT persist through loss of power or a power cycle/restart, it only persists through suspend the same way the Switch does.  Both cannot be fully powered off when games are suspended, thus drawing the battery slowly.

As of right now, Xbox quick resume is the only one that persists past literally pulling the power plug. That's what makes it impressive.  Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume, power off, unplug your Series X|S, take it to your friends house, plug it in, and resume exactly where you left it.

I know the technical difference, but the thing I love about the Xbox Series quick resume is mainly the ability to switch between a handful of games within seconds, not the possibility to turn it completely off.

And why would you power down a Switch or Steam Deck completely? For energy saving?

They already use less than 5 Watts per day / 2 kW per year in suspend mode... so less than an € per year even with the high European enery costs.

An Xbox Series S uses 160 - 170 Watts per day / 60 kW per year in suspend mode (plus the power drain of the TV + the power drain of the Xbox controller. That's a whole different league.

Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume on Switch or Steam Deck, take it to your friends house, and resume exactly where you left it.

And with the Steam Deck you can have the same convenience to Switch between a handful games in seconds.

ZyroXZ2 said:

As of right now, Xbox quick resume is the only one that persists past literally pulling the power plug.  That's what makes it impressive.  Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume, power off, unplug your Series X|S, take it to your friends house, plug it in, and resume exactly where you left it.

SvennoJ said:

Hibernate is as close as it gets, but that's the state of your PC, not storing the state of individual games.  We're talking gaming, here, and I'm not being rude when I say I'm staying on the topic lol

And I can't believe you're out here trying to nitpick storage space, now, though... Come on, you asked for something that does what you want, and it does, but you've moved the goalpost to "well it takes up storage!", sheesh lol... Just say you hate Xbox hahaha

How do you always come to the conclusion that I hate Xbox? I hate em all without prejudice and spend most of my time on Roblox nowadays :p

What your describing is just a very inefficient way to make save games. Storing the memory state of the game/app takes a lot of space. Manageable with compression but nothing like storing x,y,z where you where plus some other active variables.

Anyway you're moving my goalposts. All I want is the thing to turn off off, not go into rest mode for power saving. The silver lining of quick resume is continuing where you left off, which is something that should be possible without. Any building game can save exactly what you have done, why is it so hard for a linear corridor walker...

Back to the original goal post, I now just unplug the thing rest mode or not. (I move the ps5 between tvs depending which one is available). It takes 10 seconds longer to start since the ps5 gets pissed and needs to do a system check (which only takes a few seconds). Since I have no features enabled for rest mode I'm pretty confident there's nothing that can screw up when unplugging it from rest mode. The quick resume is obviously gone but that often doesn't work anyway due to timing and licensing issues.

Once Forza 8 is out I can see how robust XBox is to my migratory console usage. Yet all I want is things to turn off off :) (To turn PS5 off from rest mode you first have to power it back up, faster to just unplug it and do the system check...)

Conina said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

As of right now, Xbox quick resume is the only one that persists past literally pulling the power plug. That's what makes it impressive.  Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume, power off, unplug your Series X|S, take it to your friends house, plug it in, and resume exactly where you left it.

I know the technical difference, but the thing I love about the Xbox Series quick resume is mainly the ability to switch between a handful of games within seconds, not the possibility to turn it completely off.

And why would you power down a Switch or Steam Deck completely? For energy saving?

They already use less than 5 Watts per day / 2 kW per year in suspend mode... so less than an € per year even with the high European enery costs.

An Xbox Series S uses 160 - 170 Watts per day / 60 kW per year in suspend mode (plus the power drain of the TV + the power drain of the Xbox controller. That's a whole different league.

Case in point: you can put a game in quick resume on Switch or Steam Deck, take it to your friends house, and resume exactly where you left it.

And with the Steam Deck you can have the same convenience to Switch between a handful games in seconds.

I literally ALWAYS turn my Switch/Deck completely off when done playing with them... My Switch has sat for MONTHS at time between exclusives, even, and since it was powered off entirely, it boots up at 98% battery...

Same case with the Deck: I don't always play it, so it's always turned off completely.  And yes: this is for energy saving since that's Svenno's beef about the rest mode so he can resume games lmao

So case-in-point: Xbox is the only one that has the ability to "resume" while drawing a complete and utter 0 watts

SvennoJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

How do you always come to the conclusion that I hate Xbox? I hate em all without prejudice and spend most of my time on Roblox nowadays :p

What your describing is just a very inefficient way to make save games. Storing the memory state of the game/app takes a lot of space. Manageable with compression but nothing like storing x,y,z where you where plus some other active variables.

Anyway you're moving my goalposts. All I want is the thing to turn off off, not go into rest mode for power saving. The silver lining of quick resume is continuing where you left off, which is something that should be possible without. Any building game can save exactly what you have done, why is it so hard for a linear corridor walker...

Back to the original goal post, I now just unplug the thing rest mode or not. (I move the ps5 between tvs depending which one is available). It takes 10 seconds longer to start since the ps5 gets pissed and needs to do a system check (which only takes a few seconds). Since I have no features enabled for rest mode I'm pretty confident there's nothing that can screw up when unplugging it from rest mode. The quick resume is obviously gone but that often doesn't work anyway due to timing and licensing issues.

Once Forza 8 is out I can see how robust XBox is to my migratory console usage. Yet all I want is things to turn off off :) (To turn PS5 off from rest mode you first have to power it back up, faster to just unplug it and do the system check...)

And now we're back to you: I didn't move the goalpost at all... You wanted something that doesn't draw power but allows you to remain EXACTLY where you were in the game and resume.  I'm on your side about power savings and turning things off: all of my consoles are connected to a power strip that is purposely placed where I can reach the switch, and I flip that off whenever my consoles are off (it also connects to my TV and the sound bar) so that I'm not drawing any ghost electricity.  I do not use rest mode/sleep on ANY of my systems whatsoever: it just seems wasteful when they all boot up in seconds and I can simply hit the power button, grab some water, and it's ready when I come back with hydration to sit down.

You want things to turn off completely but be able to be powered back on and be EXACTLY where you left off, and I repeat: Xbox Series' quick resume is the only one that literally allows you to do exactly that for a perfect 0 watts of energy draw.

You then added the "well it's inefficient, storage space, etc. etc." when that wasn't at all your original concern, hence you moving the goalpost, not me

^^/
Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:

I literally ALWAYS turn my Switch/Deck completely off when done playing with them... My Switch has sat for MONTHS at time between exclusives, even, and since it was powered off entirely, it boots up at 98% battery...

98% after months turned off? Yeah, right! Totally believable!

ZyroXZ2 said:

Same case with the Deck: I don't always play it, so it's always turned off completely.  And yes: this is for energy saving since that's Svenno's beef about the rest mode so he can resume games lmao

So case-in-point: Xbox is the only one that has the ability to "resume" while drawing a complete and utter 0 watts

And now we're back to you: I didn't move the goalpost at all... You wanted something that doesn't draw power but allows you to remain EXACTLY where you were in the game and resume.  I'm on your side about power savings and turning things off: all of my consoles are connected to a power strip that is purposely placed where I can reach the switch, and I flip that off whenever my consoles are off (it also connects to my TV and the sound bar) so that I'm not drawing any ghost electricity.  I do not use rest mode/sleep on ANY of my systems whatsoever: it just seems wasteful when they all boot up in seconds and I can simply hit the power button, grab some water, and it's ready when I come back with hydration to sit down.

You want things to turn off completely but be able to be powered back on and be EXACTLY where you left off, and I repeat: Xbox Series' quick resume is the only one that literally allows you to do exactly that for a perfect 0 watts of energy draw.

You then added the "well it's inefficient, storage space, etc. etc." when that wasn't at all your original concern, hence you moving the goalpost, not me

Yes and if devs would simply allow you to save the game / save the game automatically where you are when turning the device off then we wouldn't have this issue in the first place and I could press the off button without any space concerns, nr of 'active' saves, logging in with the 'wrong' person first screwing things up :p No I don't want to waste precious disk space on making memory dumps! And XBox is off the table for co-op, we tried Gears 5, my wife doesn't like it. The button layout is different on XBox and there are way too many buttons to keep track of. I keep pressing A when it prompts X as well, too used to the PS layout. Serious Sam on PS instead.

The love hate relationship continues regardless. We're currently playing It Takes Two, excellent co-op game but missing very much needed accessibility options. Our play session today had the F word flying at least a 100 times from the controls, wrestling with the camera, grating music (turned music off), annoying sound effects (turned master volume low, dialog max to suppress the sound effects. Cuckoo clock level wtf were they thinking with the sound design!), overly bright scenes / flashes (The brightness of the snow level is insane. I ended up turning brightness on TV to minimum since turning gamma down in game makes it overly saturated and you're not allowed to adjust HDR while in game on ps5. Turning HDR off looked worse, everything white lol). So many hurdles nowadays just to play a game without it giving you a headache! At least we could swap L3 with L1 in system settings as my wife and L3 do no not work together.

I literally had to look away several times as I felt my food coming up while we were both fighting with the camera during a hectic boss fight. A game must be really good to keep going with all those hurdles (It is! So varied, never gets boring). However our next game will be an old one again, no more HDR please, preferably a side scroller lol. Huntdown next!

Ironic to play on console not to have to configure, dive into settings while today we've dodged in and out of settings on a level by level basis... Testament to it being a good game that we keep going. Gears 5 was dropped after an hour although We did enjoy the older Halo's together in co-op. I think modern games just have too much going on on top of tiny tiny tiny prompts for what button to press. Games are still primarily made for young people (and above all flashy visuals) with little regard for the ageing gamer. I do hope to keep enjoying this hobby for another 40 years but I wonder how much I can stomach at age 89 lol. Ehh retro games will never die!

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 13 January 2023

Dante9 said:

I have a very similar background, my path was Commodore 64 -> Amiga -> Playstation 1,2,3,4,5.
I am appalled, Sir, that you would single out and blame Sony for the demise of the Dreamcast. I submit that Sega themselves were the architects of their own doom, by making questionable business decisions in a highly competitive market. I think they were already losing the battle against Nintendo anyways. Perhaps their time simply came to an end.
As for your other comments about consoles being PC-like, hot and bulky, I find those to be irrelevant and superficial complaints that have little to do with what actually matters; the games and the experience of playing them.
However, this is all in good fun, no offense given or taken.

I'm not quite singling out Sony for the demise of Sega as it was a result of multiple factors such as bad business decisions, failure to understand the demise of the arcades and the shifting focus to the story driven console games, as well as the long term rivalry against Nintendo that left Sega badly wounded, but without the right perspective and perfect information, as an 80s teenager, or at early tweens, all i saw was who pulled the trigger.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Conina said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

98% after months turned off? Yeah, right! Totally believable!

Yes, and I can tell you how: not having the Joy Con attached.  The Joy Con never truly turn off and have constant power draw, but without them, the Switch itself drains virtually nothing because it's ONLY powering the response to the power button (it's not a hard switch, as you likely know, but a soft switch like most modern electronics use... hence me being on Svenno's side a bit where I truly CUT power so that even the soft power buttons aren't drawing "ghost" electricity, let alone rest mode which draws enough to keep the current state of the system running in volatile RAM space).  This is why I find it funny he's arguing with me about something that I'm on his side about lol

SvennoJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Yes and if devs would simply allow you to save the game / save the game automatically where you are when turning the device off then we wouldn't have this issue in the first place and I could press the off button without any space concerns, nr of 'active' saves, logging in with the 'wrong' person first screwing things up :p No I don't want to waste precious disk space on making memory dumps! And XBox is off the table for co-op, we tried Gears 5, my wife doesn't like it. The button layout is different on XBox and there are way too many buttons to keep track of. I keep pressing A when it prompts X as well, too used to the PS layout. Serious Sam on PS instead.

The love hate relationship continues regardless. We're currently playing It Takes Two, excellent co-op game but missing very much needed accessibility options. Our play session today had the F word flying at least a 100 times from the controls, wrestling with the camera, grating music (turned music off), annoying sound effects (turned master volume low, dialog max to suppress the sound effects. Cuckoo clock level wtf were they thinking with the sound design!), overly bright scenes / flashes (The brightness of the snow level is insane. I ended up turning brightness on TV to minimum since turning gamma down in game makes it overly saturated and you're not allowed to adjust HDR while in game on ps5. Turning HDR off looked worse, everything white lol). So many hurdles nowadays just to play a game without it giving you a headache! At least we could swap L3 with L1 in system settings as my wife and L3 do no not work together.

I literally had to look away several times as I felt my food coming up while we were both fighting with the camera during a hectic boss fight. A game must be really good to keep going with all those hurdles (It is! So varied, never gets boring). However our next game will be an old one again, no more HDR please, preferably a side scroller lol. Huntdown next!

Ironic to play on console not to have to configure, dive into settings while today we've dodged in and out of settings on a level by level basis... Testament to it being a good game that we keep going. Gears 5 was dropped after an hour although We did enjoy the older Halo's together in co-op. I think modern games just have too much going on on top of tiny tiny tiny prompts for what button to press. Games are still primarily made for young people (and above all flashy visuals) with little regard for the ageing gamer. I do hope to keep enjoying this hobby for another 40 years but I wonder how much I can stomach at age 89 lol. Ehh retro games will never die!

Bruh, I'm beginning to think your TV itself needs some calibration/tuning.  I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and as an example: when I first got my TV, I spent HOURS fine-tuning the settings to get the best balance of brights, darks, richness of colors, etc. across games, movies, etc.  It can take awhile, of course, but it's worth doing since one keeps TVs for years and years at a time lol

As for the rest, I played through It Takes Two with my friend (we played on PC), and the camera wasn't perfect, but I don't know that it was THAT bad...  The funny part about you dropping Gears 5 after an hour is you didn't even get to the good, science-y bits... Or maybe you're not into sci-fi stuff like I am hahaha (that, and the open areas where you sled around are actually quite fun in co-op, like a road trip!).  That, and I liked playing as Jack because it was a total change up from playing as a regular soldier hehe

HOWEVER, I do understand that you're likely not as adapted to modern games: I've met other older folks who have the same issue even though they've been playing games "since forever".  The visual noise bothers my older sister (she's 48, not far off from you!) even though my OTHER sister who's 45 loves how realistic it looks.  I showed them both the lush jungle areas of Horizon Forbidden West and one complains there's "too much on-screen, it looks noisy" and the other goes "yea, it basically looks real".  I think how a person views modern games' visual detail is highly likely based on their own visual accuity to detail, too: the older sister does not have an eye for detail at all; while the younger of the two is an art major and actually stares at visual details all the time.  One brain is trained on simplicity and ease of (visual) absorption; the other is used to looking at every minute detail, and their opposing reaction to the same scene shows exactly this.

Thus, simpler games may simply be easier on your brain: it's what you're used to.  For you, simple is good.  That's not a bad thing, it just means perhaps you'll struggle to enjoy an otherwise good game if it just "does too much" with your eye-to-brain connection lmao

^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

Bruh, I'm beginning to think your TV itself needs some calibration/tuning.  I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and as an example: when I first got my TV, I spent HOURS fine-tuning the settings to get the best balance of brights, darks, richness of colors, etc. across games, movies, etc.  It can take awhile, of course, but it's worth doing since one keeps TVs for years and years at a time lol

As for the rest, I played through It Takes Two with my friend (we played on PC), and the camera wasn't perfect, but I don't know that it was THAT bad...  The funny part about you dropping Gears 5 after an hour is you didn't even get to the good, science-y bits... Or maybe you're not into sci-fi stuff like I am hahaha (that, and the open areas where you sled around are actually quite fun in co-op, like a road trip!).  That, and I liked playing as Jack because it was a total change up from playing as a regular soldier hehe

HOWEVER, I do understand that you're likely not as adapted to modern games: I've met other older folks who have the same issue even though they've been playing games "since forever".  The visual noise bothers my older sister (she's 48, not far off from you!) even though my OTHER sister who's 45 loves how realistic it looks.  I showed them both the lush jungle areas of Horizon Forbidden West and one complains there's "too much on-screen, it looks noisy" and the other goes "yea, it basically looks real".  I think how a person views modern games' visual detail is highly likely based on their own visual accuity to detail, too: the older sister does not have an eye for detail at all; while the younger of the two is an art major and actually stares at visual details all the time.  One brain is trained on simplicity and ease of (visual) absorption; the other is used to looking at every minute detail, and their opposing reaction to the same scene shows exactly this.

Thus, simpler games may simply be easier on your brain: it's what you're used to.  For you, simple is good.  That's not a bad thing, it just means perhaps you'll struggle to enjoy an otherwise good game if it just "does too much" with your eye-to-brain connection lmao

I calibrated the TV when we got it, and checking it it's still perfectly calibrated. Also checked the ps5 HDR settings again, it's not the TV, it's my and especially my wive's sensitivity to bright flashes. 800 nits peak brightness is simply too much, HDR is great in dark scenes, awful in bright scenes :/ Hence turning the brightness down to minimum helped a lot and we still prefer well calibrated SDR content over flashy HDR stuff.

The annoying thing is, you turn HDR off on the console, it looks washed out. So need to calibrate the TV again for HDR off on console for games that were made for HDR. Next to the standard profile for SDR content. And It Takes Two uses a gamma slider instead of brightness setting which messes up the color balance if you change it. I guess I'll calibrate again for HDR off and write the numbers down to switch back and forth. Maybe the TV is smart enough to make the difference between HDR and HDR off settings, I should check that.

I still want to continue with Gears 5, my wife gave it a big thumbs down. Should be easier to follow full screen. I didn't have any issues with Horizon FW's level of detail (after switching to SDR that is and playing on my 1080p projector, HDR gave me migraines in that game). Gears 5 is probably fine too, yet in split-screen it becomes too noisy and too hard to see what's going on. I doubt Horizon FW would work in split-screen.

So for split-screen, less noise on screen please. Btw I'm now playing No Way Out by myself, she didn't like that either (too slow) so I'm juggling two controllers playing both characters at the same time. It works lol, there isn't much (so far) that requires quick input from both at the same time.

Did you play It Takes Two in split-screen or online with a friend? It was both sides spinning in different directions, different speeds, random changes that were hard to stomach. You look at your side but your peripheral vision still picks up all the conflicting motion on the other half of the screen. Split-screen is a bit like VR, need some extra changes (bigger prompts/fonts, less motion/clutter/flashing/camera shake) to make it work for everyone.