By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My Love-Hate Relationship with the Consoles

ZyroXZ2 said:
Conina said:

98% after months turned off? Yeah, right! Totally believable!

Yes, and I can tell you how: not having the Joy Con attached.  The Joy Con never truly turn off and have constant power draw, but without them, the Switch itself drains virtually nothing because it's ONLY powering the response to the power button (it's not a hard switch, as you likely know, but a soft switch like most modern electronics use... hence me being on Svenno's side a bit where I truly CUT power so that even the soft power buttons aren't drawing "ghost" electricity, let alone rest mode which draws enough to keep the current state of the system running in volatile RAM space).  This is why I find it funny he's arguing with me about something that I'm on his side about lol

No, 98% charge after several months is still impossible.

A fully charged lithium cell will lose 5 - 10% of its charge per month until it reaches ~80%, that discharging process only slows down when the charge is under 80%:

https://www.dnkpower.com/myth-or-fact-lithium-ion-batteries-self-discharge/

A turned off Switch without connected Joy-Cons will be at 95% - 90% after the first month and at 90% - 80% after two months.

A turned off Switch with connected Joy-Cons will be at 95% - 90% after the first week and at 90% - 80% after two weeks.

Around the Network
Conina said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Yes, and I can tell you how: not having the Joy Con attached.  The Joy Con never truly turn off and have constant power draw, but without them, the Switch itself drains virtually nothing because it's ONLY powering the response to the power button (it's not a hard switch, as you likely know, but a soft switch like most modern electronics use... hence me being on Svenno's side a bit where I truly CUT power so that even the soft power buttons aren't drawing "ghost" electricity, let alone rest mode which draws enough to keep the current state of the system running in volatile RAM space).  This is why I find it funny he's arguing with me about something that I'm on his side about lol

No, 98% charge after several months is still impossible.

A fully charged lithium cell will lose 5 - 10% of its charge per month until it reaches ~80%, that discharging process only slows down when the charge is under 80%:

https://www.dnkpower.com/myth-or-fact-lithium-ion-batteries-self-discharge/

A turned off Switch without connected Joy-Cons will be at 95% - 90% after the first month and at 90% - 80% after two months.

A turned off Switch with connected Joy-Cons will be at 95% - 90% after the first week and at 90% - 80% after two weeks.

Nope: the discharge rate is highly dependent on the device.  I have not touched my Switch since the Charizard DLC popped for SV, I got it and powered it down and detached the Joy Con.  Just for you, I just powered it on, and guess what: it's been over a month since that event and my Switch powered up at 100%.

I've been toying with electronics a LONG time: most of the "discharge" of li-ion batteries in devices is BECAUSE they're generally used in devices that draw ghost electricity.  The Switch, fortunately, draws ONLY enough for the detection of the power button state.

You can choose to disbelieve me all you want: my channel literally shows how infrequently I used my Switch, so I literally KNOW to power it off and I literally see what percent battery it is when I turn it on.  Test it for yourself rather than go by internet articles: power it off entirely, detach the Joy Con, and then just leave it for a month.  It will not boot up at 90% battery, not even 95%.  Leave it on sleep mode?  Yea, it'll probably be 90% after a month.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/