By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Game of the Year 2022

RolStoppable said:

I've begun a second playthrough of P5R and am halfway through, but the non-gameplay portions are insanely long even with the usage of the fast-forward function.

It's supposed to be half visual novel. It not being to your taste is not the game's fault.

Around the Network

Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Without question.

For me it's Bayonetta 3.

While it may be somewhat unpolished, it's overflowing with imagination and creativity, the combat is still best in class, the setpieces are mostly fantastic, the soundtrack kicks ass, Cereza herself is still a charismatic badass, and Platinum's gloriously outrageous sense of style remains wildly entertaining.

The graphics are rough, and the story falls flat, but gameplay is king, and in that regard Bayonetta 3 offers some of the purest, most potent fun I've ever had on Switch.

It's Xenoblade Chronicles 3 hands down. It's the closest I've got to experience such a great diagetic telling of all the game's composites working in a succulent tandem. This is followed by Kirby and the Forgotten Land which deserves more than the recognition it had so far.

I had written more but I deleted by accident and now I'm lazy to re-type it ALL

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

mZuzek said:
RolStoppable said:

I've begun a second playthrough of P5R and am halfway through, but the non-gameplay portions are insanely long even with the usage of the fast-forward function.

It's supposed to be half visual novel. It not being to your taste is not the game's fault.

It's weak for a visual novel though. There's no grand exciting story that would put it above the usual JRPG fare, so I see no reason to excuse its lenghts and pretend that it is a masterpiece.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network

Bayonetta 3.

Xenoblade 3 would’ve been the top because I enjoyed it immensely.. but I think the ending was wasted potential and I wanted to see more crossover and interactions with all the characters. So that was disappointing.

Bayonetta 3’s ending was great primarily after I watched an explanation of what happened, cause if you don’t pay attention you miss a lot. I don’t like Viola though, her character is meh to me and I’m not a fan of the voice actress. But hey, still extremely enjoyed it.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Of the new releases, Xenoblade 3. Of the games released on Switch for the first time this year, the Portal collection.

So far either Triangle Strategy or Kirby. Triangle Strategy is just a well made strategy game, and it falls in a nice little niche among strategy games striking a good balance between realism and fantasy. I love that each character is completely unique, so whereas characters often feel redundant in a game like Fire Emblem, everyone was worth messing around with.

Kirby would have hands down been my game of the year if I was 9 years old again, and I don't mean that as an insult. Kirby was one of the franchises that made me love gaming as a kid, and I'm glad that kids these days can have something so good designed for them, instead of having shovelware garbage. As an adult I still enjoyed the hell out of it (great game to play high) but it was too lacking in challenge to be my personal game of the year.

Bayonetta 3 is up there because it's Bayonetta. Gameplay is still amazing. But great gameplay could only take you so far, and the story and overall presentation just wasn't enough to take it from great to GOTY.

Just started Mario and Rabbids, but very much enjoying it so far. Really gotta give them props for going above and beyond what was needed for a sequel. It feels like the team was maybe constrained a bit in the first go around and were given more resources when the first one became a hit. Very well could overtake Triangle Strategy.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Monolith Soft doing magic with Switch's Hardware, Top Tier every aspect of that damn Game.

RolStoppable said:
mZuzek said:

It's weak for a visual novel though. There's no grand exciting story that would put it above the usual JRPG fare, so I see no reason to excuse its lenghts and pretend that it is a masterpiece.

This gives me another idea thread.