By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That You Didn’t Die On The First Playthrough

The Fury said:
Chrkeller said:

Most every new game outside Hades, Returnal and From Software. New games are super easy on normal difficulty, especially having played NES hard games.

Even Crash 1 on the PS1? Man, you're hardcore!

Haven't played that one.  But modern games, on normal, like uncharted and Mario are super easy. 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Haven't played that one.  But modern games, on normal, like uncharted and Mario are super easy. 

To be honest, and the reason I find this question hard to answer, is that the way modern games are developed it's intended for you to not struggle and enjoy the ride. Making games like Uncharted hard like Dark Souls, people just won't bother finishing the stories, which is why you are there mostly.

But in past gens, when gaming in general was more arcady, death were a regular thing and the games that were long stories (like say FF games or Zeldas) you'd rarely die and if you did it was because you were under-leveled or just miss timed a jump and fell into lava.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Chrkeller said:

To be honest, and the reason I find this question hard to answer, is that the way modern games are developed it's intended for you to not struggle and enjoy the ride. Making games like Uncharted hard like Dark Souls, people just won't bother finishing the stories, which is why you are there mostly.

But in past gens, when gaming in general was more arcady, death were a regular thing and the games that were long stories (like say FF games or Zeldas) you'd rarely die and if you did it was because you were under-leveled or just miss timed a jump and fell into lava.

Spot on

I honestly can't think of a single example, at least not anything that was relatively recent. If there was one, it's been a long time.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The first Dune game on PC. If you know just a bit what you're doing and what makes the AI tick, you can play the Harkonnen like a fiddle - and what makes it tick is clear as day on your first playthrough.

Also, Tazmania on the Sega Master System. I got it as a Christmas gift and 2 hours later, I had played though the game. Fun, but wayyy too easy and short.

3 games I forgot to mention:

Duck Tales on the NES. The game ain't hard, the challenge is to make boatloads of money.

Aven Colony. Mastered every mission from the start.

Long Live the Queen. I got very lucky, as this VN/Princess Maker spiritual successor has tons of failure path, and I just happened to get to a good ending on the first try despite all the reviews telling me I'd die a lot before reaching that.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 December 2022

Around the Network

I can’t think of any that I didn’t die, but I can think of several that let me accumulate “lives” but i never ran out of them. Newer Mario and DKCR namely. 

Hmm. Not sure really. Maybe Dino Crisis 2? I got it for Christmas one year, and completed it the same day (probably on the easiest difficulty though). I don't remember having much trouble with it.

Ka-pi96 said:
OdinHades said:

Final Fantasy 9. I really disliked the game because it was so easy. I got bored but played through it anyway because I was a poor kid back then and didn't have anything else to play, lol.

You even got past the mustard gas tree on the first try? Wow!

That one's not an issue for me anymore since now I know which item/skill I need to get beforehand to manage it easily, the first time though that gave me a lot of trouble.

I played that game over 20 years ago, so I frankly don't remember too much about it. The only thing that I can remember is this crazy ball thing that was supposed to be hard or something? My friends told me back then that it was like the ultima weapons from FF7, so I was pretty pumped because I died hundreds of times fighting these beasts. But I just killed the ball at first try. Although I wasn't even at max level. It was a real bummer.

We also didn't have internet back then. It existed, but it was expensive as hell, lol. So I didn't even have any strategies. I was on my own and the game still was just too easy. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Chrkeller said:
The Fury said:

Even Crash 1 on the PS1? Man, you're hardcore!

Which of the top 10 NES games that are considered hardest ever have you beaten on normal in 1 playthrough :)

SegaHeart said:
Chrkeller said:

Which of the top 10 NES games that are considered hardest ever have you beaten on normal in 1 playthrough :)

Probably none.  Back in the NES days I could finish very few games.  I couldn't do Zelda 2 without modern save points.  Forget Ghost and Goblins.  Batman was hard too.  Only NES games I could finish was the first Zelda and Mario games.