By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2022 NPD Thread (NPD Out Now)

I would expect the PS5 to be 3rd in unit sales, but it wouldn't suprise me if it's still 1st in revenue.
Should be a close call between Xbox and Switch for unit sales over the whole month, but my guess is that Switch will sell a bit more like in the UK.

If I have to get specific:

[Revenue] 1300 mil

[NSW] 1.25 mil
[XBS] 1.2 mil
[PS5] 1.1 mil

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

PS5 Domination :
Mat Piscatella su LinkedIn: A surge in PlayStation 5 hardware supply combined with strong sales of new…

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

ps5 dominated, it seems that the units of Europe were all to America

Nate4Drake said:

PS5 Domination :
Mat Piscatella su LinkedIn: A surge in PlayStation 5 hardware supply combined with strong sales of new…

Well I'll be. Guess that goes at least some ways to explaining where the mysterious stockpiled PS5s went, nice to see though there should probably still be a lot left.

Also seems I was right about hardware revenue at least which was 1.3 bil.

Edit: I suppose there must have been a notable gap between the Xbox and the Switch for it to rank 3rd in dollar sales (unless the % of Series X consoles was extremely low). At least it killed it in the UK though.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 09 December 2022

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

And that's why I doubt the tracking here primarily over the holidays. If the US is off then there's a good chance that Europe is too. Time to get out those adjustments.

Around the Network

I will work on adjustments. Give me some time. 

As far as Europe I was using the UK and Spain data as one of the main sources for those estimates. For the UK with the monthly chart we were the closest with XS only being ~3K off for November, while we were ~9K off for PS5, and something like ~35K off for NS. 

This does show where that PS5 stock ended up. We did have PS5 up the most compared to last year. But clearly not enough. 

Edit: I should add our initial little bit of data we get was having Xbox Series even higher for Black Friday week, but I decided to have it a bit lower. And it had PS5 a tiny bit lower, but I decided to make it a bit higher. Clearly I didn't do enough. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Looking at the numbers it is looking more like an XS overtrack, while the NS and PS5 are pretty close. Still working on the numbers. Just coming up with average selling price and tweaking things until we match the data NPD provided. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

When do you think Xbox Series X/S will win NPD?

Because if the Switch successor launches sometime in 2024, and with PS5 stock significantly improving in 2023, Series X/S may have less NPD wins than the Xbox One launch aligned.

PotentHerbs said:

When do you think Xbox Series X/S will win NPD?

Because if the Switch successor launches sometime in 2024, and with PS5 stock significantly improving in 2023, Series X/S may have less NPD wins than the Xbox One launch aligned.

At this point I have no idea. Switch sales should be down next year, which helps Xbox Series X|S against that platform, plus it has Starfield, Redfall, and Forza Motorsport in the first half of 2023 (unless one or more of them gets delayed). 

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates BEFORE adjustments:

1. XS: 1.25M
  2. PS5: 1.14M
  3. NS: 1.05M

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates AFTER adjustments:

1. PS5: 1.14M
  2. NS: 1.09M
  3. XS: 1.08M

PS5 remains the same, NS adjusted up, and XS adjusted down.

Year-over-year change in sales:

PS5: 0.44M -> 1.14M (+159%)
XS: 0.69M -> 1.08M (+57%)
NS: 1.10M -> 1.09M (-1%)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 December 2022