By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 13 38.24%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 21 61.76%

Total:34
VersusEvil said:

Well if reports about Perfect Dark are correct then I don’t think games being in development stopping them getting shut down is gonna be enough. PD is still being reported on that it’s a disaster still, that they don’t know if they want it third or first person lol. I don’t think being hands off with their studios is the flex MS think it is.

I think lets wait and see if Perfect Dark shows up this year first, I do think The Initiative may be shutdown though in favour of giving Crystal Dynamics complete control over Perfect Dark, I don't really see the point of The Initiative anymore and in the same timeframe, World's Edge has been responsible for releasing multiple titles but The Initiative hasn't even released one. World's Edge is doing a brilliant job on multiple IP but if TI is only going to be working on one and only as the creative leads then is there any point having a dedicated studio? Why not just move them into XGSP?

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:

Also no offence to some of Xbox’ studios but they simply are not capable of creating AAA games. Hell I’m not even sure studios like 343 know how to actually create anything anymore :P

343 has been great since Pierre took over but it was too little too late.

Think he did the best he could with the resources he had and the situation he was put in.

I have high hopes for a Halo under him.

But some studios simply don't want to make AAA like Double Fine.

I'm starting to feel a little weird about predicting studio closures =/

Feels a bit wrong, maybe I should stop.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:
VersusEvil said:

Also no offence to some of Xbox’ studios but they simply are not capable of creating AAA games. Hell I’m not even sure studios like 343 know how to actually create anything anymore :P

Think he did the best he could with the resources he had and the situation he was put in.

Maybe just go play some games, on Xbox or wherever. Literally nothing you can do will stop studios closures so no point stresssing … unless they close Lyon .. then the gloves are coming fucking off 😂

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

#SaveXbox

The focus will probably be on Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, Diablo, Minecraft, Forza Horizon (not Motorsport), Candy Crush, World of Warcraft, Overwatch. I also think Halo and Gears of War will be safe because they're too iconic. Sea of Thieves will be safe as long as it is played, I think Doom is safe but not Wolfenstein, Blade should be safe, Age of Empires and Flight Simulator are safe. State of Decay, Fable are more likely than not, safe IPs.

I love many of those IPs but I never wanted AAA blockbusters only, I once had debates in this thread that Microsoft shouldn't push their studios to work on AAA blockbusters only to sell Xbox consoles, they should allow creative freedom and that there's AA gems that sit alongside the AAA titles too, I was a lover of both the AA and AAA titles and didn't want one at the expense of the other but it seems that's the future for most publishers.

I'm not a AAA hater or an AA hater, I love all types of games, variety is the best.

VersusEvil said:
Ryuu96 said:

Maybe just go play some games, on Xbox or wherever. Literally nothing you can do will stop studios closures so no point stresssing … unless they close Lyon .. then the gloves are coming fucking off 😂

I will, I'm still excited for upcoming games too, I look forward to seeing more of them, despite Xbox's leaderships best efforts to screw them over, I won't stop supporting the awesome developers under Xbox working their asses off and that goes for the rest of the industry too, I'm still looking forward to Hellblade II and very excited for Avowed, Fable, Indiana Jones, etc. I will cheer them on and support them, while giving a middle-finger to Xbox HQ, Lol. I'm still looking forward to the June showcase but I only want to see developers at it, I don't want to see any Xbox executive.

Around the Network

Waking up then remembering Tango is closed. What a waste of amazing talent.

It *really* feels like we are heading to another gaming crash. With Sony barely able to make profit on games that sell a ton because of insane budgets coupled with MS doing stuff like this... once again the only company that isn't a disaster is Nintendo and once again they may be what saves the industry.

MS and Sony should completely skip the PS6/XS2 generation, allow their developers to get so used to working on engines for this generation that they can do things quicker and reduce expenses tremendously enough that neither company has to shut down studios if their games don't sell 10 million+ copies.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 08 May 2024

What is happening is gaming is basically turning into Hollywood, won't be long before The Game Awards is renamed to The Game Oscars.

Little bit of copium but maybe when Matt Booty said "These changes are grounded in prioritizing high-impact titles and further investing in Bethesda's portfolio of blockbuster games and beloved worlds which you have nurtured over many decades." He meant only Bethesda is being changed to prioritize high impact titles and wasn't talking about XGS in this, which still sucks but at this rate I'm just hoping for the least amount of damage possible.

Maybe XGS will be safe as the unique variety focused publishing arm, while ABK and Bethesda focus on high impact.

Ryuu96 said:
DroidKnight said:

Disagree.  That small online minority are the ones that organize the uninformed mobs and hand out the pitchforks that end up reversing many bad decisions.

Unfortunately I do agree that this will hardly affect Microsoft's long term ambitions at all, they will still become the #1 publisher by at the cost of all their online reputation, they will become the next EA, they'll still have a great developers and games under them but the Xbox corporation itself will become hated by online communities.

But that's not going to stop COD selling boatloads, or Minecraft, or Forza Horizon, or Fallout, or Elder Scrolls, etc.

Satya is willing to torch all Xbox's online reputation in exchange for money, I said once that Xbox should stop being so public and be more like Sony/Nintendo, stop egging on the idiots like TimDog and only speak when they have something of substance and I now think they will do that but for all the wrong reasons, none of the reasons I said above, I think they'll now do that because they won't be able to show their faces anymore.

But online boycotts rarely ever work and if you told a COD gamer to stop buying COD because Tango was shutdown, first they'd say "who?" and then they'd laugh in your face...People weren't buying these games by large anyway, not to defend Microsoft though, Microsoft promised these studios a lot and now they're breaking all those promises and not giving them a clear idea on where they stand.

They said studios had freedom to work on whatever they want and now they're saying "actually, we want blockbuster AAA only" and shutting down studios not working on that, Microsoft should be nurturing talent and protecting it as well, allowing it to flourish but that's corporations for you, only care about the bottom line and infinite growth.

Another reason this will not really affect MS long term is because none of these studio closures directly affect actual gamers.  What I mean by that is that while its disappointing that these studios got close, they do not have a direct effect on gamers playing games they enjoy.  That is different then making decisions that directly impact gamers which is something that gets movement within and outside of the community.

Also do not put this on Satya yet.  For all you know this is purely Phil decisions and his team on the direction they need to move the companies and it properties.  As I have stated for a while, what big corporations see as important is not the same as what the average consumer thinks as important.  People talking about Phil is going to step down because of how unpopular these moves are but I disagree.  Phil just got a promotion not to long ago before these changes were implemented which tells me that MS top brass are very much in step with Phil decisions and his direction.  In my opinion this is all Phil and while today we do not see the scope or the reasons for these moves, I doubt it was anyone else pulling the strings but him.  Just from my own experience, some of the nicest bosses I have had can be the most cutthroat boss when it comes to business.  Hell one of my favorite bosses who game me gifts and acknowledgement for every anniversary, childbirth and family occasions from my previous job was the most cutthroat boss when it came to business and meeting expectations.  He still today sends me gifts for my kids for their bithday even though I do not work at the company anymore.

As for MS top C level execs talking to much, that was never a good move.  Sometimes you do have to make moves that will not make you a loveable person and I always thought it was not wise to try to present that side of yourself when you are just as cutthroat as the next C level exec.  

Last but not least, what someone says in the past does not mean things do not change.  Most of you guys were talking about how MS need to double down on their popular franchises and get them to market sooner and when your wish actually becomes true you do not like the results.  Its like opening the Genie in the bottle and making a wish only to be disappointed that it did not turn out the way you thought it would.