By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 114M, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 9-15

kazuyamishima said:

The desperation moves from MS will get them #1 spot for the Black Friday week, unless the Ragnarok will have a lot of stock.

Making a temporary price cut/bundles on Black Friday is a desperation move now?

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

The desperation moves from MS will get them #1 spot for the Black Friday week, unless the Ragnarok will have a lot of stock.

Holiday price cuts are a completely normal part of the business, all 3 manufacturers engage in them when they have the ability to do so.  The bigger consoles (in terms of physical size) are probably still facing some inflationary pressures that make cutting prices difficult, but the smaller ones have some headroom for a temporary holiday sale, and it's a wise business move

aTokenYeti said:
kazuyamishima said:

Holiday price cuts are a completely normal part of the business, all 3 manufacturers engage in them when they have the ability to do so.  The bigger consoles (in terms of physical size) are probably still facing some inflationary pressures that make cutting prices difficult, but the smaller ones have some headroom for a temporary holiday sale, and it's a wise business move

It's only wise if there is an clear expectation that all units would not sell through at the same rate at the original price.

Qwark said:
jason1637 said:

It probably will during one of the holiday weeks

Doubtful Switch will probably dominate the charts and PlayStation will have difficulty keeping up with demand. I expect a slightly better holiday than last year, but nothing special. Xbox might even overtake PlayStation this year. Selling 1.2 million more this year should be possible if they ramped up Series S production to the max. 

I wouldn't rule out PS5's chances of winning some weeks; supply is clearly improving. It's had some close calls already.

With Sony's earnings report coming out tomorrow I will wait to do the weekly VGChartz estimates until later this week. Once Sony releases the PS5 shipment figures I will do any necessary adjustments.
Sony's earnings report for the quarter ending September 30, 2022 will be posted at 2:00 am EDT / 6:00 am UK / 15:00 JST. https://sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

Reminder: Sony's figures are shipped, while VGChartz are sell-through.
I will try to stay up late to write up the VGChartz article on Sony's figures and do at least some of the necessary adjustments. But if you don't see it until the following morning/afternoon (depending on where you live) I fell asleep. 
Last edited by trunkswd - on 31 October 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
With Sony's earnings report coming out tomorrow I will wait to do the weekly VGChartz estimates until later this week. Once Sony releases the PS5 shipment figures I will do any necessary adjustments.
Sony's earnings report for the quarter ending September 30, 2022 will be posted at 2:00 am EDT / 6:00 am UK / 15:00 JST. https://sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

Reminder: Sony's figures are shipped, while VGChartz are sell-through.
I will try to stay up late to write up the VGChartz article on Sony's figures and do at least some of the necessary adjustments. But if you don't see it until the following morning/afternoon (depending on where you live) I fell asleep. 

That will be 4:00 am where I live. There's no way I'll be awake.

Will have to check tomorrow.

Switch is just too amazing.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 01 November 2022

trunkswd said:
eva01beserk said:

Considering that almost every update the ps5 is adjusted up, i say the ps5 does have the top spot.

Not true as we adjusted down the PS5 in the UK and mainland Europe when those monthly reports came out last week. Though, we did adjust it up in the US after NPD came out.

Dont think i dint notice the adjustments just a few units shy of passing it.

Did i call it or what?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

PS5 is effectively tied with Switch for the week. It's crazy to think that the Switch has such staying power over 5 and a half years in. PS5 will take at least one week in the lead during the holiday season. I don't think the Xbox Series will, considering it only does a few thousand a week in Japan and some other regions.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

eva01beserk said:
trunkswd said:

Not true as we adjusted down the PS5 in the UK and mainland Europe when those monthly reports came out last week. Though, we did adjust it up in the US after NPD came out.

Dont think i dint notice the adjustments just a few units shy of passing it.

Did i call it or what?

Funny enough I wasn't paying attention to see how close it was to passing to Switch with the adjustments following the latest earnings report from Sony. Nintendo's earnings report comes out next Tuesday, so we shall see if they needs adjusting up or down. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.