By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 114M, PS5 and XS Sales Climb - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Oct 9-15

Any one of the big three could take NA, which is what makes it the most interesting region to watch.
The others have a fairly cemented heirarchy.

Around the Network

The desperation moves from MS will get them #1 spot for the Black Friday week, unless the Ragnarok will have a lot of stock.

kazuyamishima said:

The desperation moves from MS will get them #1 spot for the Black Friday week, unless the Ragnarok will have a lot of stock.

I would hardly call it desperation. What exactly are they doing that's desperate?

It's not like they're doing a permanent price cut or anything.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through October 15

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to October 19)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to October 17)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to October 16)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to October 15)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 6.24 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,412,985 units (+29.5%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.04 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 402,662 units (-91.8%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 12.31 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 3,350,307 units (-21.4%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 7.46 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,427,962 units (-16.1%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.43 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,486,463 (-77.5%)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 25 October 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox HW revenue for the quarter increased 13%, driven in part by a higher average price (bigger Series X share?) compared to the same quarter a year ago. So it's reasonable to estimate a 10% increase in units shipped if not less.

Does this align with our sell through data? Are we assuming a much smaller gap between shipped and sold for this quarter vs a year ago? Pretty sure we have Xbox growing much more than just 10% for the quarter, but I'd like to know the exact percentage.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Xbox HW revenue for the quarter increased 13%, driven in part by a higher average price (bigger Series X share?) compared to the same quarter a year ago. So it's reasonable to estimate a 10% increase in units shipped if not less.

Does this align with our sell through data? Are we assuming a much smaller gap between shipped and sold for this quarter vs a year ago? Pretty sure we have Xbox growing much more than just 10% for the quarter, but I'd like to know the exact percentage.

I didn't see Microsoft mention anything about the increase in Xbox hardware revenue was due to a higher average price. What I saw was actually less Series X stock available in at least September.

Welfare estimates Xbox Series shipment is at 18 million, while we have sell-through estimates of 17.15 million units for a gap of 850K between shipped vs sold.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Kyuu said:

I didn't see Microsoft mention anything about the increase in Xbox hardware revenue was due to a higher average price. What I saw was actually less Series X stock available in at least September.

Welfare estimates Xbox Series shipment is at 18 million, while we have sell-through estimates of 17.15 million units for a gap of 850K between shipped vs sold.

Unless a much smaller gap between shipped and sold is asumed here, the data doesn't add up (we have sell-through at about 30% higher YoY if I'm not mistaken). A higher Series X split decreases the amount of units shipped.

Kyuu said:
trunkswd said:

Unless a much smaller gap between shipped and sold is asumed here, the data doesn't add up (we have sell-through at about 30% higher YoY if I'm not mistaken). A higher Series X split decreases the amount of units shipped.

I definitely missed that. Doing some quick math adding up the 13 weeks for the quarters we have Xbox Series sales up about 25% year-over-year. Our sell-through estimates are more or less fine with Welfare's shipment estimate. Though, I could see us being at most 100K or 200K too high over the course of the 3 months. 

jason1637 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I was thinking PS5 was finally going to snatch the top 1

It probably will during one of the holiday weeks

Doubtful Switch will probably dominate the charts and PlayStation will have difficulty keeping up with demand. I expect a slightly better holiday than last year, but nothing special. Xbox might even overtake PlayStation this year. Selling 1.2 million more this year should be possible if they ramped up Series S production to the max. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 101

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 30,841,799
  2. PS5: 24,461,636
  3. XSX|S: 17,509,175

Through the first 101 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 6.38 million units units and is 13.33 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 6.95 million units.

The Switch has sold 30.84 million in 101 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 24.46 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 17.51 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 101 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 10,840,499
  2. PS5: 8,926,409
  3. XSX|S: 8,168,538

Through the first 101 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.91 million units and is 2.67 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.76 million units.

The Switch has sold 10.84 million in 101 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 8.93 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.17 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 101 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 32.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (100 weeks):

1. PS5: 8,383,672
  2. Switch: 7,803,892
  3. XSX|S: 4,693,885

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 100 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.58 million units and is 3.69 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.11 million units.

The PS5 has sold 8.38 million in 100 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 7.80 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.69 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 100 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.1 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 37.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,358,961
  2. PS5: 2,004,837
  3. XSX|S: 371,095

Through the first 101 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.35 million units and is 6.99 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.63 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.36 million units in 101 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.00 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.37 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 101 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 20.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.