By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2022: Casual Edition... or perhaps not?

 

Who will win Super Bowl LVII?

Buffalo Bills 4 50.00%
 
Baltimore Ravens 0 0%
 
Tennessee Titans 0 0%
 
Kansas City Chiefs 1 12.50%
 
Philadelphia Eagles 1 12.50%
 
Green Bay Backers 0 0%
 
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0 0%
 
Los Angeles Rams 0 0%
 
Other (AFC) 0 0%
 
Other (NFC) 2 25.00%
 
Total:8

So the Packers, Commanders, Falcons, and Rams all lost yesterday.
Only thing that was missing was a Seahawks loss, but oh well.
And I actually wanted the Rams to win because that would've sunk the Buccaneers to 3-6, which would have really given the 49ers more breathing room for a WC spot.



Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Now the Packers look a lot like the team that got Mike McCarthy fired. The offense is dysfunctional for the most part and the team as a whole plays worse than its roster would suggest.

The most recent game in Detroit was a case of self-destruction with three interceptions taking three surefire occasions of scoring away from the Packers. Green Bay dropped to 3-6 right before the toughest stretch in the schedule with the Cowboys, Titans and Eagles coming up before a trip to Chicago closes out the time before the bye week. The Packers would need to go at least 3-1 during this part of the season to come out of the bye with their playoff hopes alive. A 10-7 record would probably be good enough to get into the playoffs this year, with some luck even 9-8 could do the trick.

But alas, there's not much hope left. The Packers' losses were usually deserved this season, so it isn't a case of just being a bit better during crucial points in any given game. This is a mediocre team with a below average record and it would take a miracle to get back into the playoff race despite a very mixed NFC where the 49ers occupy the seventh spot in the conference with a 4-4 record, and a 6-2 Giants team that doesn't really look sustainable.

The only bright spot in the loss to Detroit was that the offense was able to move the ball consistently instead of having to punt quick and often. But at the same time the Lions have the worst defense in the league, so even that little success is hollow. The losses to the Commanders and Lions could not be afforded. Two wins in these games would have put the Packers at 5-4 at this point, leaving them with a real chance to get into the playoffs as a wild card team. Green Bay doesn't have the luxury of Tampa Bay, because the Vikings have kept winning all those close games this season. The NFC North title is out of reach at this point, even with the Vikings due to lose a bunch of games in the second half of the season.

But hey, the next two games against the Cowboys and Titans are at home at least. And maybe the underdog role pays off. Hope dies last, as they say.

One thing I've noticed about the Packers, that nobody ever really seems to talk about...

Rodgers really likes to ballhawk once they get down in the redzone. I mean, tbf, idk if it's the playcalling, or Rodgers making the call at the line, but they get down there in the redzone and everything becomes a passing play. When I watch their games it always feels like Rodgers is just desperate to have passing TDs, instead of giving their RBs a couple shots at punching it in, despite the fact that Aaron Jones is probably their best player, and Dillon is a big guy with strong legs for a goal line push. It's just very odd. Hell, sometimes they have entire drives where it's like all running game down the field, and then boom, they get in the red zone and suddenly there's no more runs.



Angelus said:

One thing I've noticed about the Packers, that nobody ever really seems to talk about...

Rodgers really likes to ballhawk once they get down in the redzone. I mean, tbf, idk if it's the playcalling, or Rodgers making the call at the line, but they get down there in the redzone and everything becomes a passing play. When I watch their games it always feels like Rodgers is just desperate to have passing TDs, instead of giving their RBs a couple shots at punching it in, despite the fact that Aaron Jones is probably their best player, and Dillon is a big guy with strong legs for a goal line push. It's just very odd. Hell, sometimes they have entire drives where it's like all running game down the field, and then boom, they get in the red zone and suddenly there's no more runs.

I think it definitely has something to do with Rodgers' ego, but at the end of the day even he will want to win games again. At the same time though, I've seen the LaFleur getting criticized for focusing too much on the pass play regardless of the Packers' field position for any given play. So both the QB and head coach need to be blamed for the offense's woes. Lastly, there's the construction of the roster which put too much faith into the rookies; the new guys don't look like busts despite some significant dropped balls, but even Davante Adams had a rocky rookie year before turning into a superstar receiver.

The last Packers game I've watched was the London game against the Giants where the offense went down in flames in the second half. Up till that point the Packers season had still looked okay, see my post in this thread at the time. But the stats I've seen for the games against the Jets and Commanders were plain awful, so it was a miracle that the Packers even had a chance to win in Washington. Apparently Green Bay played decently in Buffalo, but not getting blown out can't be the bar for success this season.

It looks like the Packers are past their low point this season, but still a good chunk away from being back in it. The schedule gets brutal at the worst time, but that's what happens when you lose the easy games that you should have won.

In any case, Rodgers is showing his age, being on pace for only the second double-digit INT season in his career. All the more reason to put more confidence in the running game.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

What the actual hell is happening in this Vikings-Bills game. Justin Jefferson will single-handedly carry Kirk Cousins to the Super Bowl or die trying.



We just had two of the best games this season back-to-back. Vikings-Bills and Cowboys-Packers.



Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

What the actual hell is happening in this Vikings-Bills game. Justin Jefferson will single-handedly carry Kirk Cousins to the Super Bowl or die trying.

That game was thoroughly entertaining.

With that said, the Bills offense has been seriously slipping of late. Josh Allen is making far too many mistakes. He especially seems to love throwing interceptions whenever he's rolling out to his right in the red zone. It's almost like clockwork at this point. They got some work to do.

That Jefferson catch was incredible. He frankly had no business coming up with, consider the defender had both hands on the ball, but instead of pulling it in, he almost helped Jefferson make the unreal onehanded grab instead. Crazy. Diggs had a pretty nice grab too on a terrible throw by Allen that would have resulted in another pick if Diggs hadn't gone way up there to snatch it. Fun stuff.



As a lifelong Cowboys fan, my disappointment is immeasurable when I saw that the Cowboys were 195-0 in franchise history when leading by at least 14 points entering the 4th quarter. Not anymore



Angelus said:
Shaunodon said:

What the actual hell is happening in this Vikings-Bills game. Justin Jefferson will single-handedly carry Kirk Cousins to the Super Bowl or die trying.

That game was thoroughly entertaining.

With that said, the Bills offense has been seriously slipping of late. Josh Allen is making far too many mistakes. He especially seems to love throwing interceptions whenever he's rolling out to his right in the red zone. It's almost like clockwork at this point. They got some work to do.

That Jefferson catch was incredible. He frankly had no business coming up with, consider the defender had both hands on the ball, but instead of pulling it in, he almost helped Jefferson make the unreal onehanded grab instead. Crazy. Diggs had a pretty nice grab too on a terrible throw by Allen that would have resulted in another pick if Diggs hadn't gone way up there to snatch it. Fun stuff.

It was like the Golden Tate catch in Green Bay vs. Seattle a decade ago. It's always the Packers who are on the wrong end of such grabs. Since the Vikings don't want to start losing games, the NFC North title is pretty much out of the equation.

But first and foremost it's about the Packers winning their own games anyway. I am glad that they put the Cowboys away yesterday. Green Bay stuck with their gameplan of running a lot and eventually it paid off. It took until the third quarter for Rodgers to reach ten pass attempts, but at the end of the day he had a rock-solid 200+ passing yards and 3 TDs against no INTs. All 3 TDs went to Watson who could have done more damage if it hadn't been for drops and slowing down instead of sprinting until the end. Rodgers was surprisingly accurate, including on deep shots. I guess he isn't getting too old for the game, for now at least.

Next up are the Titans who are a tough but beatable squad. There's hope that the Packers can improve to 5-6 before getting smashed by the Eagles.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

THERE'S the dominant game I was looking for from the 49ers!!!



Wanted to post this a couple of weeks ago already but it would have been pretty much the same. This is my list of the most disappointing teams this year so far.
1. Los Angeles Rams they are going to have a hard time winning more than five games. They are pretty much guaranteed to have the worst follow up season of a team that won the Super Bowl the previous season.
2. Las Vegas Raiders even though most of their loses were close overall they played extremely poor in all of their games.
3. Denver Broncos Russel Wilson has been a bust for them so far.
4. Green Bay Packers did not think they would be very good at the beginning of the season, but also didn't think they would be this bad either.