By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you think are no longer awesome

I noticed that a few games is of the type that "you had to be there" to understand the greatness of. Gems of its time or games the live of the nostalgia.

But sure there have to be game that one thought was the best ever on a first playthrough, but when you revisit you find yourself trying to like it more than you actually do. Despite all the praise you give it, the game just is not that good.

Secret of Mana 

The SNES was home to a particularly high number of Genre defining RPGs. As a European many of them was games I never got to play until a lot later. Final Fantasy IV (III), Chrono Trigger, Breath of fire and Earthbound was not released in Europe for the SNES. But we did get Secret of Mana.

Secret of Mana was such a great game. Instead of the turn based battles one fought enemies in real time, swinging a sword like in Zelda, beautiful colorful graphics, music to die for and even multiplayer! Oh boy! This game was a masterpiece. Me and my brother had a blast.

Now, when I revisit it the experience is another one. The movements of the characters are not as fluid, aiming the weapon is stale, knockbacks breaks flow of gameplay and using spells via the menu pauses the game. When playing multiplayer it is very annoying when the other player casts a spell making the whole game stop. Finding out what you can walk on and what is an obstacle is harder than I remember. Even the music seem like it lost a lot of the magic. And so I realised that I don't enjoy this game nearly as much as I want to.

Conker's Bad Fur Day

This odd M-rated game with toilet humor came out late in the N64 life. Only one game had been released on a Nintendo system with an M rating, Perfect Dark from the same studio a year earlier. It was crude, cute, silly and violent and I absolutely loved it. The cutscenes made me actually laugh out load and the game had freaking voice over. I defend this game a lot. It is one of the great.

On a revisit, sure it still have fun scenes, but sadly you have to play the game in between. The controls are fine for the most part, but the third person shooter sequences have not aged well at all. And the things you do in the other parts of the game, walking around and collecting things is just kind of boring. Granted I have not played the remake on Xbox that might have upgraded a lot, but as of now I'm probably more likely to recommend checking the cutscenes out on youtube and skip playing one of my favorite games of all time.

A lot of games I loved back then hold up for me many years after they released. Zelda aLttP, Eternal Darkness, RC Pro am II, Starcraft, Chrono Trigger and many many more. But some games does not feel as great as I remember them on a revisit.

Do you have experienced some of your favorite games in recent years and questioned if you still like them?

Around the Network

Shadow of the Colossus

While it was mindblowing stuff at the time, the original is basically unplayable to me now due to its appalling framerate.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 September 2022

Golden sun - Replayed 1 and Lost Age recently and I didnt enjoy them, in fact I left Lost Age unfinished, the excess dialogue is very tiring and you cant skip it, the character's lack any form of personality or charisma. The story is all over the place. And sure, they still look good, most puzzles are ok and the djinn system is fun, but everything around that is just meh. This series cries for a remake or sequel with different takes in these areas. 

Tbh I cant think of many more examples, most games I've replayed that I used to love I still love. 

Jpcc86 said:

Golden sun - Replayed 1 and Lost Age recently and I didnt enjoy them, in fact I left Lost Age unfinished, the excess dialogue is very tiring and you cant skip it, the character's lack any form of personality or charisma. The story is all over the place. And sure, they still look good, most puzzles are ok and the djinn system is fun, but everything around that is just meh. This series cries for a remake or sequel with different takes in these areas.

Have to agree with this. I replayed a bunch of GBA games not long ago and many of them were just as fun as I remember, but not Golden Sun. The artwork and puzzles and such were still nice, but I found the combat system with the constant juggling of active and inactive djinn to be tedious and tiresome. While I still enjoyed the world I didn't finish my replay.

So more 'games that you no longer think are awesome' than 'games that you think are no longer awesome', eh?

Anyway, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Sadly I never got the chance to play it when it was released, but playing it years later (which, at this point, is years ago), it didn't take much to notice it had some fairly poor level design, which killed a lot of fun that could otherwise have been there. At least that's what I think the issue was, but either way, it wasn't really what I expected from the game. I suspect the level design would have been considered at least decent back then, but it sure didn't feel that way when I played the game.

Around the Network

Secret of Mana tops my list. The magic leveling up system is just broken. Battle system is too slow. Boss fights are just boring, use magic over and over.

Oh and Altered Beast is just flaty a terrible game.  I have no idea why I ever enjoyed it.  

Jpcc86 said:

Tbh I cant think of many more examples, most games I've replayed that I used to love I still love. 

I replay them every now and then and, while dialogue can certainly be annoying sometimes, I find them very easy to digest due to them being relatively short. I can beat the first one with all the djinn in about 12-13 hours and Lost Age in 20 or so. They are very light and compact JRPGs, and I guess that helps to alleviate the more dragging aspects of these games. 

Back on topic... As much as it pains me to say it: Super Metroid. Metroid Dread has pretty much killed it for me. I can't go back to playing Super anymore. It feels so damn clunky! And to think that for a long time it was one of my favourite Metroid games... 

Oddly enough though, I can play Zero Mission, Fusion and Samus Returns just fine. Still enjoy them. But not Super xD

I cant think of any. Had I played Conker back in the day it might have been on my list. I tried playing it on rare replay and couldn't get past the terrible controls. I ended up playing the live and reloaded version and enjoyed it quite a bit. All SNES and NES games that I enjoyed hold up for me. There might be a few N64 games like GoldenEye that don't hold up well, but I still enjoy them when I go back to them.

When I first played Doom 2016 it was awesome. On my second playthrough it was again awesome.
Then I played Doom Eternal and now I just can't play the previous game anymore because Doom Eternal is just better in every way imaginable.

5th console generation: A thread :p