By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Speaking of penalties, when did it become legal for them to start stop start stop in their run ups?

I feel like this stupid motion of trying to psych out the goal keeper is actually making it easier for them to stop the penalty.

Before it was one smooth motion and they had a bit more power on them and just seemed to go in more often.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Speaking of penalties, when did it become legal for them to start stop start stop in their run ups?

I feel like this stupid motion of trying to psych out the goal keeper is actually making it easier for them to stop the penalty.

Before it was one smooth motion and they had a bit more power on them and just seemed to go in more often.

From what I can tell it was only actually illegal for a couple of years in the 80s. Most of the time it's been up to the referee to decide if it's allowed or not. Since 2010 it's been allowed as long as the run-up hasn't been completed yet.

Ka-pi96 said:
Cobretti2 said:

From what I can tell it was only actually illegal for a couple of years in the 80s. Most of the time it's been up to the referee to decide if it's allowed or not. Since 2010 it's been allowed as long as the run-up hasn't been completed yet.

Yer maybe it is more obvious now as they all seem to do it lol.

Before it used to be little hops or jitters in a continuous motion, now you can count a full second when they do a full stop and resume lol.

Welp.

Brazil is done.

Last edited by Alex_The_Hedgehog - on 09 December 2022

The number of Brazil holding replica trophies as though their victory in the tournament was a procession got on my nerves. All the talk about the dance celebration against South Korea but I think it’s this that shows more arrogance. Reminded me a bit of 2014 when the vibe from Brazil fans was that Brazil winning the tournament was a formality.
Unless you’re the reigning champions, don’t have them. For one thing it seems a massive jinx and it certainly came back to bite them today.

Around the Network

Ignoring the miss, the Argentina penalties are how they are supposed to be taken. Spain's half arsed weak tap ins annoyed me.

Last edited by The Fury - on 09 December 2022

Hmm, pie.

Well wasn't that quite the match between Argentina and the Netherlands. It didn't start off too great, but the closer it got to the end, the more intense it got. I would've been happy with either one winning, but I'm glad to see Messi still have his final chance.

Wow. Well, I got my prediction for the Netherlands' World Cup path right. Exactly right, but it was closer than I thought. I'd say Argentina's had the upper hand until the 1-2, then they got a bit disorganised allowing us to get back in the game. The free kick that lead to the 2-2 was very clever I'd say, everyone and their mother thought he'd kick it straight at the goal instead of the low pass. In the second half of the extra time Argentina got their act together again and goalie had some great saves in the shootout. It's kind of poetic that we go out the same way as in 2014 (though then it was the semi-final). Croatia is unpredictable, I thought Brazil would have a hard time sure but still figured they'd do it. Guess not. Good on Croatia. We'll see how they do against Argentina. The funny thing is that now the final can be the same as in 2018.

S.Peelman said:

The funny thing is that now the final can be the same as in 2018.

Wasn't exactly a classic back then, and I'd attribute that more to Croatia than France, so I hope not... But definitely possible and not even looking too unlikely, although at least one of the finalists differing from 2018 is still much more likely.

fuck these horse loving cunts

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.