By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Morocco yet to concede a goal, they even kept a clean sheet in the penalty shootout!

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Morocco yet to concede a goal, they even kept a clean sheet in the penalty shootout!

Canada 1-2 Morocco

SecondWar said:
mZuzek said:

Canada 1-2 Morocco

Oh yeah, right. I thought it was 0-1.

And apparently this is Portugal without Cristiano Ronaldo, not bad.

mZuzek said:
SecondWar said:

Canada 1-2 Morocco

Oh yeah, right. I thought it was 0-1.

And apparently this is Portugal without Cristiano Ronaldo, not bad.

Portugal without Ronaldo is better than Portugal with Ronaldo

Poor Switzerland. I figured Portugal would win, but not like that. Also, Spain forgot you actually have to shoot the ball in the goal oh my god.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Also, Spain forgot you actually have to shoot the ball in the goal oh my god.

Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:

Also, Spain forgot you actually have to shoot the ball in the goal oh my god.

Out of the top 10 goalscorers in the current La Liga season, four of them are spanish. All four of them are watching the World Cup at their homes.

They also did that thing where they brought players on late in the game specifically for the shootout. Both those players (and one for Morocco) missed.
That strategy really doesn’t seem to work.

With each passing tournament, I get a little less angry when a team like Morocco advances. Regardless, it didn't look like Spain had a real chance for the title anyway, with them getting worse from game to game. I've heard that some had hyped them up after the Costa Rica game, which is puzzling because it should have been obvious that Costa Rica played really, really, really bad. As in, they hardly committed any fouls which should have been the bare minimum when nothing else works.

Anyway...

The top favorites remain France, Brasil and Argentina in that order. Next up are Portugal, England and Croatia in that order. Then Netherlands and lastly, Morocco.

Top 3 disappointments of WC 2022 compared to expectations before the whole thing started:

1. Belgium
2. Denmark
3. Uruguay

All three of them put together scored 4 goals in 9 games.

Awards of honor for boycott of Qatar's questionable human rights situation and all that:

1. Germany - Screwing up the group stage after realizing that the rainbow is a no-go.
2. Italy - For not joining the whole circus in the first place.
3. Austria - For 2+ decades of dedication to stay away from WCs because all of them have been bought in one way or another.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Absolutely delighted to see Morocco beat Spain. I actually quite like Spain (although they've been poor other than the Costa Rica game), but it's brilliant to see a new face in the quarter finals. I think they have a realistic chance of being the first African team to ever make the semis too! Looking back I'm surprised at how much pre-tournament hype there was around them. They definitely have a decent squad and have done very well with it. Instead all the talk for that group was about Canada. Saw some people claiming they had one of the top 10 squads on the planet. I guess Canadian fans are just the new English fans, ie. arrogantly overrating their pretty average team. Kind of funny that English fans are actually (slightly) less arrogant now that their team is better.

Also, I'm watching on Abema and I've got to say their penalty highlights suck! Just show every penalty! They showed 3 Spanish penalties in a row, I know they're just showing the misses because they're important, but it'd be nice to see that Morocco are actually in the penalty shootout too.

Portugal are definitely better without Ronaldo than with him. Seems like that's true for most teams now. He's only worth it for his marketability these days. Really didn't expect a 6-1 thrashing though. Switzerland are a notoriously hard team to beat and while I did expect Portugal to win I expected there to only be 1 goal in it, a tight 1-0 or something.

Portugal vs Spain in the quarters would've been more interesting than Portugal vs Morocco, but it should still be a good match to watch. Oh, and a Morocco win would trump any possible result that Portugal vs Spain could've produced too. So come on Morocco!