By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - About controversial threads

Hi. My name is GoOnKid. I love this site. I visit it every day. But I want to say something.

This place got boring, and I believe one major reason for this is because the mod team is on a crusade against controversy. Over the years I realized that the mods became much more sensitive towards unpopular opinions and closed threads that where started with wrong premises. The latest example is the now locked thread from Zyroxz2 about Nintendo being being your enemy and their bad decisions and their good decisions and bla bla yada yada. It's a mess. Everyone knows this thread, it's locked now. This thread was dumb and stupid, we all agree on that, but that's not the point. The point is, it was a debate. A forum like this should encourage and nurture debates.

It was immensely satisfying to read all of the backlash he got for all the dumb things he said. Some writers even put so much passion into their posts and took so much effort to debunk all his nonsense over and over. This gave me so much enjoyment and entertainment like few threads before, for a long, long time now. I know very well that Zyrozx2 was very aware of the traffic he created and the shit he stirred, but come on. just let him do his dancing. Everybody could see that he was beating around the bush and trying to grasp even the tiniest straws. But that's part of the fun! Throw shit around, wait for the counter attack, then counter the counter attack. It was very obvious that this thread (and especially its development) would not set the world on fire and spread wisdom and prosperity to humanity. But it's not even supposed to in the first place.

Life is a rollercoaster, it goes up and it goes down. Every wave will crash eventually. A coin has two sides. One man's trash is the next man's treasure. You can't enjoy lobster and caviar each day every day. The thread in question may have been a shitshow, but it was entertaining as hell. We need dumb nonsense like this every now and then. We need more debating over nothing, more controversies, more petty fighting, more fanboyism. So after all is said and done, this is may stance. This site should allow more controversial debates instead of turning into an echo chamber.

Around the Network

I’m in agreement with this. Controversial statements are great when they’re backed up with fact, but when they’re not, it’s even more entertaining watching the comeuppance that is guaranteed to happen. And it doesn’t seem like the OP of that thread was hiding from his just desserts. I mean, granted, he’ll never acknowledge the reality of the situation, but that’s just how some users operate. If it started to go down personal avenues, then I’m sure a few warnings to individuals, or even a mod post would suffice. I didn’t even realize the thread had been closed until this thread and will be sad to see it go.

Aye. We've been commenting/complainig about this for a while now. The staff's strict moderating hinders this forum to function as a traditional forum should.
Zyroxz2's threads are 99% rubbish, but at least they are entertaining rubbish, and this place needs that.

GoOnKid said:

Hi. My name is GoOnKid. I love this site. I visit it every day. But I want to say something.

This place got boring, and I believe one major reason for this is because the mod team is on a crusade against controversy. Over the years I realized that the mods became much more sensitive towards unpopular opinions and closed threads that where started with wrong premises. The latest example is the now locked thread from Zyroxz2 about Nintendo being being your enemy and their bad decisions and their good decisions and bla bla yada yada. It's a mess. Everyone knows this thread, it's locked now. This thread was dumb and stupid, we all agree on that, but that's not the point. The point is, it was a debate. A forum like this should encourage and nurture debates.

Zyroxz2 contacted us and requested the lock himself, but suggested we give people some time to get in their responses following his last comment. After c.a. 18 hours and some replies, a mod locked it.

Anyone can request to have their threads locked, and unless it's unreasonable, we comply.
Also, probably 99% of threads we lock come at the request of members.

But at the same time we get blamed by people who jump to conclusions and make threads like this.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 August 2022

Hiku said:
GoOnKid said:

Zyroxz2 contacted us and requested the lock himself, but suggested we give people some time to get in their responses following his last comment. After c.a. 18 hours and some replies, a mod locked it.

Anyone can request to have their threads locked, and unless it seems unreasonable, we usually comply.

I thought this might have been the case. Guess he was done with dessert after all. 😜

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

Aye. We've been commenting/complainig about this for a while now. The staff's strict moderating hinders this forum to function as a traditional forum should.
Zyroxz2's threads are 99% rubbish, but at least they are entertaining rubbish, and this place needs that.

Previous Mod team wouldn't have allowed Zyro's threads at all cause Youtube promotion was banned

Anyway, it was a requested lock.

Admittedly, it doesn't appear as though there was a lock note which there should have been, I'll make sure to remind the team to leave lock notes, sometimes it just slips our minds, especially when it's a requested lock.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 August 2022

Hiku said:
GoOnKid said:

Anyone can request to have their threads locked, and unless it's unreasonable, we comply.

But at the same time we get blamed by people who jump to conclusions and make threads like this.

Thank you for the clarification.

To be fair the thread went on for about a month and a half.

I don't speak on behalf of the mod team, but I have some knowledge, so I'll do my best to explain my perspective.

There is an issue of quantity and quality engagement. A thread can get a lot of clicks and views, but at the same time could ultimately lead to people posting less often. Some times I'll be in a thread and active in it, and I feel I need to defend my points so I keep going, but at the same time, it actually makes me less likely to post in threads in the forum, because I feel like "oh god I don't want to get sucked into another one of these again". This topic wasn't quite there for me, but it was getting there. Point is sometimes people find it hard to quit on the internet, and the mod team things its best for long term activity to just shut things down both for the overall enjoyment of the users, and so that maybe they'll spend their time posting on more active matters.

As someone who was active in that thread, I have mixed feelings. I feel I made good points (naturally otherwise I wouldn't have made them) and would have liked to see them acknowledged and either accepted or effectively rebutted... but realistically, that wasn't likely going to happen to my satisfaction. So, yeah, I am a little irked that posts I put effort to are behind bars... but at the same time, the most likely outcome was me just winding up wasting more time, and in the long run, playing a game or something will probably be a better use of that time. So, like I said, mixed feelings.

And there's also the matter of optics. Think of the times you've been lured into some click bait article on a site. A lot of times, it's just like "ok you got me this time but fuck this place never coming back." And, if you see a thread with people just going around in circles forever, even if you're amused by it, it might not make you think "this is a community I want to engage with". And, it may take away time people would be posting in other topics.

Also, the issue isn't always controversy, but whether a topic is in good faith and going somewhere. Even in threads that are about controversial issues like trans rights (which should not be controversial, but that's neither here or there), locking is rarely the first course of action. Generally what I was guided to do as a mod, and what I've seen the mod team do since, is try to engage the op or a person who is dominating the conversation, and see if they can make any progress. In this particular topic, there were people already doing the kinds of thing a mod would step in to do, and really getting nowhere with it. Keep in mind, the thread was active for well over a month, was going nowhere, and was getting increasingly testy on both sides. So I don't think it was just deemed controversial.

I'm not here to defend the decision necessarily. There's an argument that can be made that we're all adults (I think) and if people want to continue a pointless debate, they should just go on doing it. And an argument that any activity is better than none, so it's counterproductive to close threads except in very rare circumstances. I'm just trying to give a bit of perspective, because I really don't think the rationale was "well this is controversial let's close it". I think it was "well this is going nowhere after a month, it's run its course".

All that being said, I think it's good policy to put in a mod post explaining the reason something is being closed. Saw a couple of threads locked recently without one, so I don't know if that policy has been changed, but if it has, I don't think it should have. The last one was something that so obviously should have been locked that I didn't think much of it, but this one is less clear.

JWeinCom said:

Generally what I was guided to do as a mod, and what I've seen the mod team do since, is try to engage the op or a person who is dominating the conversation, and see if they can make any progress.

All that being said, I think it's good policy to put in a mod post explaining the reason something is being closed. Saw a couple of threads locked recently without one, so I don't know if that policy has been changed, but if it has, I don't think it should have. The last one was something that so obviously should have been locked that I didn't think much of it, but this one is less clear.

Feel like I do actually do this often and often it leads to endless debate which goes nowhere 😩

Policy hasn't been changed, think it just slipped a few Mods minds, I can't speak for all of them but I can sorta see why it would slip someone's mind for a requested lock, I think otherwise, it's maybe a combination of the threads being nuked from visibility when locked which makes it now almost feel pointless but policy has not changed! Just needs a reminder! Mods should still be leaving lock notes. Also some locks just feel so damn obvious from our perspective as to why we're doing it so another cause for slipping our minds but nevertheless, still need to leave lock notes.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 August 2022

I didn't read any posts in that thread. I just said Nintendo was evil if they didn't give me a Bayo 3 release date soon. A few days later they did. So seems it is concluded. Not evil.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!