By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - About controversial threads

I think JWein was pretty spot on.

While lots of walls of text and heated exchanges can be entertaining, they can also have the opposite effect on some people, and we try to maintain a reasonable balance. Similar to how we usually try to keep threads from getting derailed. While that can be very entertaining to some people involved, it clutters up the thread for others.
There's not always a great time to close a thread, but there are better or worse times.
Day 1 would not have been good. But a month+ is reasonable. Especially after OP wants it locked.

Keeping it going for 6 months may seem like a great idea now, but if it causes people to burn out and get anxiety from having to spend hours replying, they may decide to not post their next thread at all, etc.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 August 2022

Around the Network

As a hopeless argument addict: I strongly agree with thread bans and suspensions for sea lion trolling, especially if somehow I fall into the behaviour. :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Maybe Zyroxz2 likes to argue? like my grandma who had 2 strokes? My grandma says It's her way or noones at all? Or maybe he says those things about Nintendo because Nintendo did something to him that day I think.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 13 August 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

Gamecube and N64 were lame consoles.

Dreamcast and Saturn were better.

VanQuish is a better shooter than Gears of War

3DS is lame. Vita is better.

Kevin Butler stunk.

360 is better than PS3

Black Licorice is great.

Alcohol is nasty.

Pineapple belongs on Pizza

Practical creature effects are always better than CGi

The Last Story is better than Lost Odyssey

My fave Sandwhich is better than yours.

My dog is cuter than yours

My dad can beat up your dad.

Now you have controversey!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I guess when the person who wrote it requested it then, can't really argue against it. I do like the idea that it is made clear to everyone that a thread was locked because it was requested and not because admins decided to be the anti fun police. I also agree post that go way too far (i.e. turn to overtop abuse or attacks at people) deserve to be moderated as the site will become toxic. Constructive arguments to me are acceptable as you are backing it up with something. Simply calling someone are dumb arse because you have no valid point to counter argue definitely not acceptable.

I personally enjoy the weird threads and can easily work out if someone has been banned when the weird threads stop lol. The weird threads don't pretend to be anything meaningful so I think there is room for leeway in these as the people responding to them know the playing field.

I think with COVID and all the lockdowns we had here and the lack of new games coming out, the weird threads become a good entertainment value for killing time at home. They kind of become part of life now on here lol.

The regular gaming threads have become boring but that might be for me because tired of seeing remakes, and sequels and maybe because I still can't buy a PS5 so I am not really engaged in that community atm when I can't even play the games.

I also enjoy the off topic threads that are serious, i.e. the Russian Invasion of Ukrainian, or when people ask for help or opinions on real life things. They make the place feel more real and not just a virtual gaming world.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

Maybe Zyroxz2 likes to argue? like my grandma who had 2 strokes? My grandma says It's her way or noones at all? Or maybe he says those things about Nintendo because Nintendo did something to him that day I think.

Zyro is only doing his shtick to promote his mediocre youtube channel. He barely takes part in any topics outside of the threads he creates. Making it pretty obvious what he’s trying to do.

I don't care about this specific thread. But, I think it is ridiculous that people are allowed to request their threads be locked and have their requests granted.

More to the OP, I've been saying for years that this site is too tightly moderated. It isn't terrible, just a bit too heavy for my tastes. And, at this point, there is so little activity here that I feel like it makes sense to loosen the reins a good bit and see how it goes.

I think this place is on the brink of extinction. So, something about the status quo is not working. I don't know that it's moderation, but I think it might be.

There's a fine line (very fine) between debates and all-out mud-slinging. And that goes double for the gaming community. I think the moderation team knows this, and tries to stay ahead of the curve when they see the potential for things to get ugly. Because when things start to get ugly, they become unproductive. Some people may enjoy watching the mud fly, as they see it as something akin to a Jerry Springer episode circa 1998, but it keeps a lot of good posters from posting and overall, drags the whole community down. So I'm okay with it most of the time.

But if it's not getting personal, or doesn't look like it's about to get personal, I think a healthy debate is fine. You just have to be careful.

Forum is pretty much dead

numberwang said:

Forum is pretty much dead

If the only way to keep it alive is to allow shit content, then maybe it should just die.