By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 21.7 Million Units as of June 2022

Share the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 21.7 Million Units as of June 2022

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 21.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of June 30, 2022.

With 21.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of June 2022 that means 2.4 million units were shipped from April to June. This is up from 2.3 million for the same quarter a year ago.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 2.9 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 25.3 million units shipped as of June 30, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 3.6 million units.

Sony at the time of this writing did not provide an update on PlayStation 4 shipment figures. Lifetime PlayStation 4 shipments were at 117.0 million units at the end of March 2022.

There were a total of 47.1 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is down 16.5 million from 63.6 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 79 percent of software sales.

There were 6.4 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is down 4.1 million from 10.5 million first-party games sold a year ago.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscribers is now at 47.3 million, which is up 1 million from 46.3 million from the same quarter a year ago. There were 102 million monthly active users, a drop from 105 million a year ago.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending June 30, 2022, reported revenue decreased 11.7 percent year-over-year to 604.1 billion yen ($4.55 billion), while operating income decreased 30.5 percent to 52.8 billion yen ($0.40 billion).

The decrease year-over-year was attributed to lower sales in first-party and third-party games and DLC, according to Sony.

Sony made no change to its PS5 forecast for the current fiscal year and still expect to ship 18 million PS5 consoles from April 2022 to March 2023. 

"At this point in time, we have made no change to our 18 million unit sales forecast for PS5 hardware in FY22, but since we are seeing a recovery from the impact of the lockdown in Shanghai and a significant improvement in the supply of components, we are working to bring-forward more supply into the year-end holiday selling season," said Sony.

The forecast for the 2022 fiscal year expects revenue to be at 3,620 billion yen ($27.24 billion), while operation income will be at 255 billion yen ($1.92 billion).

The forecast is slightly lower than what was given three months ago. This is due to lower expected third-party game sales and DLC.

"Sales are expected to be lower than the May forecast due to an expected decrease in sales of non-first party titles including add-on content, partially offset by the impact of foreign exchange rates," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income is expected to be lower than the May forecast due to the impact of the above-mentioned decrease in sales of non-first-party titles and the negative impact of foreign exchange rates, as well as an expected approximately 13 billion yen increase in expenses associated with acquisitions, from approximately 44 billion yen to approximately 57 billion yen.

"This expected increase is mainly due to the acquisition of Bungie, Inc. being completed earlier than the assumed timing."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 July 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

No update on PS4 shipments. At least not yet. So that might be it for the console. Though we shall see. Also we do generally match when the PS5 hit 20 million sold which was at the end of May/beginning of June. They didn't provide an exact date. So adjustments for PS5 would only be for June. 

Edit:

I did a small adjustment for the PS5 following Sony's 21.7M shipped report. I updated the main weekly hardware article to reflect the change. PS5 went from 20.85M sold as of July 2 to 20.94M. Sales as of July 16 went from 21.25M to 21.35M. Sony did announce 20M sold at the end of May/beginning of June. So not many weeks could be adjusted and we have the data for the US, UK, most of mainland Europe, and Japan. 

Edit 2:

Weekly hardware articles updated, as well as the PS5 vs PS4 sales comparison. It is 3:30am here in New York, so I am off to bed.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 July 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.



Kyuu said:

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.

Agreed. I was shocked to see how much of a drop there was in first-party sales. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I got downvoted a lot saying Horizon boned hard, I wasn't that much of the mark though I think. Well at least it seems to make more sense to move on too live service games for PlayStation though.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.

Both Horizon and GT7 released during the quarter January-March 2022, the first party games sold during that quarter was about 14.5 million units, up 6.6 million units from the same quarter in 2021.

Elden Ring is a third party game not included in the first party numbers. 

Without official numbers, we can’t really say if both games have good sales or not.

But again, is VGC.



trunkswd said:

No update on PS4 shipments. At least not yet. So that might be it for the console. Though we shall see. Also we do generally match when the PS5 hit 20 million sold which was at the end of May/beginning of June. They didn't provide an exact date. So adjustments for PS5 would only be for June. 

I think this basically means that PS4 hasn't hit 117.10M yet, as Sony can't update the following decimal number after the previous update - 117M

They will probably update it to 117.10M in the next quorter ending september. And maybe once more after holidays or march of next year to 117.20M

Anyway you are right, it's not doing more than that.

P.S. Also why there are some places on the web (even wikipedia) where it says 117.2 shipped as of march 2022 ? I am confused.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 29 July 2022

Kyuu said:

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.

None of these games released in this quarter. They released in February and March.



yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

No update on PS4 shipments. At least not yet. So that might be it for the console. Though we shall see. Also we do generally match when the PS5 hit 20 million sold which was at the end of May/beginning of June. They didn't provide an exact date. So adjustments for PS5 would only be for June. 

I think this basically means that PS4 hasn't hit 117.10M yet, as Sony can't update the following decimal number after the previous update - 117M

They will probably update it to 117.10M in the next quorter ending september. And maybe once more after holidays or march of next year to 117.20M

Anyway you are right, it's not doing more than that.

P.S. Also why there are some places on the web (even wikipedia) where it says 117.2 shipped as of march 2022 ? I am confused.

If you add up all shipment numbers Sony reorted over the years for each quarter you get 117.2mil. A rounding error that some sites decided to ignore despite Sony reporting 117mil.



kazuyamishima said:
Kyuu said:

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.

Both Horizon and GT7 released during the quarter January-March 2022, the first party games sold during that quarter was about 14.5 million units, up 6.6 million units from the same quarter in 2021.

Elden Ring is a third party game not included in the first party numbers. 

Without official numbers, we can’t really say if both games have good sales or not.

But again, is VGC.

3rd party sales declined too. Software numbers overall are a decline from pre-pandemic Q1 FY2019 (12 million 1st party games sold on a smaller install base). 2019 was quite a weak year in terms of 1st party software releases; one of Sony's weakest.

Clearly, the slow PS5 adoption rate isn't offsetting PS4 gamers switching to other platforms or holding out to play these games on PC or PS5 when they finally manage to get one.

Kakadu18 said:
Kyuu said:

Abysmal software sales bearing in mind Horizon 2, GT7, and Elden Ring.

None of these games released in this quarter. They released in February and March.

I know but I expected short-term legs and bundles to carry them well beyond the numbers we're seeing. 1st party sales in particular are shockingly low.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 29 July 2022