By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 21.7 Million Units as of June 2022

Thanks @Trunk! :)

Will be really interesting to see the numbers when the holiday season starts, as Sony still holds their 18m forecast.

By the way, I didn't find the theory of 40m PS5s so absurd if there had been no shortage.

All in all, it looks like a good holiday season is imminent. And that availability will be even better in 2023. If Corona doesn't come up with a nasty surprise.



Around the Network

I forgot about MLB also releasing last quarter, truly a disaster quarter for 1st party sales.

BUT... the real test is finally about to start as, for the first time, Sony and Valve (directly) and Microsoft (indirectly via the Verizon deal) seem quite confident that production will significantly improve in the 2nd half of the year.



Not playstations most impressive quarter, but subscribers up by 1 million is significant. I would have expected a decrease.



 

Dallinor said:

Not playstations most impressive quarter, but subscribers up by 1 million is significant. I would have expected a decrease.

They launched their new subscription tiers during the quarter so it’s hard to say if a 1 million increase is good or not. 



PotentHerbs said:

Sony has sold just under 21M first party software for the year. I estimate:

HFW: 6M - 8M
GT7: 4M - 5M
MLB: 2M - 3M
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves: 1M+
God of War (PC): 1.5M - 2M+

Seems kinda accurate and numbers that a lot of companies would dream of after 3-4 months after launch. 



Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
PotentHerbs said:

Sony has sold just under 21M first party software for the year. I estimate:

HFW: 6M - 8M
GT7: 4M - 5M
MLB: 2M - 3M
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves: 1M+
God of War (PC): 1.5M - 2M+

Seems kinda accurate and numbers that a lot of companies would dream of after 3-4 months after launch. 

The 21 million~ figure doesn't include PC/Xbox/Switch ports. With those counted, they're probably at 25 million.

FY 2021 was a decline from FY 2020 as far as PS sales, but apparently an increase when PC is accounted for. Going forward, logic dictates that combined sales for Sony's software will increase significantly (platforms combined). But although Playstation numbers (Sony games combined) should also increase due to acquisitions strengthening their output, sales per game may continue to decline because A) people are expecting them to hit PC and/or Playstation Plus fairly early, B) PS4's slow death is outpacing PS5's adoption rate, C) Price hike.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 30 July 2022

PortisheadBiscuit said:
aTokenYeti said:

40 million consoles sold with only 21 months on the market would have been next to impossible, even with great supply, the PS4 during its peak sales years didn’t get close to that kind of sales pace

Maybe unlikely, but not impossible. PS5 had much more hype upon launch, comparison with the PS4 is kind of futile 

Anything's possible, but the fact is it no matter the reasons it didn't happen so everything else is supposition.

Even in normal times without covid and supply and logistic constraints there are other factors like manufacturing capacity, and once you reach that capacity, it takes time to bring extra capacity to the market it isn't as simple as turning on the tap.

Just like any other situation with peak stock demand while wanting to meet that demand you also don't want to overreact and  end up overstocked once demands been met, meaning even without covid just because 40 million consoles in 21 months is on the table it doesn't necessarily  mean it's going to happen, rather than prioritising filling the demand above everything else you may instead aim for a steady increase in supply that while not filling 100% of demand in the short term it will hopefully alleviate most of the demand pressures while limiting the peaks and troughs.



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Maybe unlikely, but not impossible. PS5 had much more hype upon launch, comparison with the PS4 is kind of futile 

Anything's possible, but the fact is it no matter the reasons it didn't happen so everything else is supposition.

Even in normal times without covid and supply and logistic constraints there are other factors like manufacturing capacity, and once you reach that capacity, it takes time to bring extra capacity to the market it isn't as simple as turning on the tap.

Just like any other situation with peak stock demand while wanting to meet that demand you also don't want to overreact and  end up overstocked once demands been met, meaning even without covid just because 40 million consoles in 21 months is on the table it doesn't necessarily  mean it's going to happen, rather than prioritising filling the demand above everything else you may instead aim for a steady increase in supply that while not filling 100% of demand in the short term it will hopefully alleviate most of the demand pressures while limiting the peaks and troughs.

Real World it likely would never happen, but Wii and DS likely could have hit that mark if enough inventory was available, but real world constrains prevent it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony and the PS5 are in a very strong position IMO. It's just a matter of time (and parts) for the PS5 to start braking sales record for the PS family at least. PS5 is a great console with an amazing transition period so far.



Sony has a relatively sizable hardware problem that would've been really hard to foresee prior to launch. Not only did covid hit, but the PS4 to PS5 was one of the smoothest transitions in PS history, so who wouldn't want a PS5 asap?

People like me won't be buying newer games without a PS5, especially first party games. We want to play them on a PS5. I still don't have a PS5, but when I can fairly easily pick one up, I'll be grabbing many of those titles that have been on the shelves for quite some time. Years for some of them.

Games like HFW and GOWR will grow in sales slowly over time. The longer those games sit on the shelves as buyers wait for a PS5 to play them on, the cheaper they will become, and the less Sony will make on them, especially compared to their predecessors.
Then there's the recent PS Plus upgraded service, and the longer it takes consumers to get a PS5, the more likely those titles will have landed on Plus, so many won't purchase the game again separately, assuming they've signed up for Plus.

This gen is somewhat opposite of last gen. This time PS had enough (good) games since launch, but hasn't had near enough hardware supply.