By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

I’m really, really enjoying this game.

The visuals and the soundtrack are both amazing, but then the tone of the story and the characters already are so good with just the first couple hours.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Definitely pushing the boundaries of what the Switch is capable of. When you only have 25GB/s of bandwidth holding your fillrate back, anything over 720P is a terrific effort.
I am excited to see how this franchise will look on next-gen Nintendo hardware... It's quickly becoming my favorite Nintendo franchise. (Step aside Zelda and Metroid!)

The Audio is glorious, it's absolutely stunning on my Yamaha home theater system.

If they were to remaster Xenoblade Chronicles X for the next-gen Switch/Nintendo system, what would your moderate expectations be?

As pretty much the last Wii U exclusive (that people want), it feels like it'd be a great launch title. Playing it now on a modern tv doesn't have the same wow factor as it did, but seems like there's still raw potential with the right improvements.

Skipped wiiu so would love a remaster of it.

Don't care much for pixel density on these types of games as they are meant for the cartoony feel. But the pop in fix is a big welcome fix. The funny walking while small is something that I actually payed a bit of attention to before and glad they fixed it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Shaunodon said:
Pemalite said:

Definitely pushing the boundaries of what the Switch is capable of. When you only have 25GB/s of bandwidth holding your fillrate back, anything over 720P is a terrific effort.
I am excited to see how this franchise will look on next-gen Nintendo hardware... It's quickly becoming my favorite Nintendo franchise. (Step aside Zelda and Metroid!)

The Audio is glorious, it's absolutely stunning on my Yamaha home theater system.

If they were to remaster Xenoblade Chronicles X for the next-gen Switch/Nintendo system, what would your moderate expectations be?

As pretty much the last Wii U exclusive (that people want), it feels like it'd be a great launch title. Playing it now on a modern tv doesn't have the same wow factor as it did, but seems like there's still raw potential with the right improvements.

WiiU titles have been able to translate extremely well to the Switch... If they ported it to the Switch, I don't see why it couldn't be 720P native portable, 900P docked.
On a next-gen Switch? Suddenly things like draw distances can be pushed out, we can start to introduce technologies like global illumination/ray tracing to bolster the lighting to make the visuals pop.
It wouldn't be hard to port... As Xenoblade Chronicles 2 uses the Xenoblade Chronicles X game engine, the potential is there.

dane007 said:

Would it possible for them to patch other games to allow better resolution on handheld mode?

Absolutely it would be possible.

Will they do it though? Probably not.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Having played the first few hours, another upgrade DF don't mention is that the depth of field has been improved from a basic blur filter in Xenoblade 2 to a proper bokeh effect with the apecture shapes on lights/particles.

Here it is in XB3:

While it is absent in Xenoblade 2:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2022

Around the Network

Considering how much they nitpick titles on series and ps they were being quite light on critics for Xenoblade it seems, accepting the HW limitation and all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Considering how much they nitpick titles on series and ps they were being quite light on critics for Xenoblade it seems, accepting the HW limitation and all.

You kind of have too.  I mean the Switch is the Switch, it isn't a ps5.  So it isn't realistic to expect 4k ray tracing.  

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

You kind of have too.  I mean the Switch is the Switch, it isn't a ps5.  So it isn't realistic to expect 4k ray tracing.  

I sure agree. But sometimes they even forget PS5 and Series X aren't 3090 when they do their review =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:

I sure agree. But sometimes they even forget PS5 and Series X aren't 3090 when they do their review =p

Agreed 100%.  Especially when checkerboarding to 4k at 60 fps is amazing.  Not being native 4k isn't a big deal at all.  Personally I think upscaling is being undervalued.  

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Agreed 100%.  Especially when checkerboarding to 4k at 60 fps is amazing.  Not being native 4k isn't a big deal at all.  Personally I think upscaling is being undervalued.  

Considering constraints on horsepower and even though I don`t care much for 60fps I sure would trade-off native 4k30fps for a good upscalling solution (like checkerboard) to have 4k60fps and even more if games is fluid and ok on 30fps to use the savings of the checkerboard on other IQ parts of games.

Haven't played Xeno yet, but for my taste Mario Oddissey looked great.

And a title that push the boundaries of the platform and looks or play better than any that came before deserves praise for it (even if you don't like the particular genre or game) instead of being compared with what is simply not possible on the system.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 01 August 2022