By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What third party publisher has given Switch the best support?

I think Genesis games being available on the NSO Expansion Pass alone makes Sega a worthy contender.

Around the Network

THQ Nordic have put out a lot of games on Switch. Having all the Darksiders games is a big plus, I have physical copies of them all. Kingdoms of Amalur is underrated too.

Moon Studios did a great job with both Ori games. Very good ports on Switch.

And Square released Ocotopath Traveler and the best version of Dragon Quest XI on Switch first.

Kai_Mao said:
Sogreblute said:

Koei Tecmo. It's not even close. They've been with Switch since day one and nearly all their published titles since it's release has a Switch version day one with the other versions. I'm also convinced they're the reason Persona 5 Strikers came to the Switch.

I forgot to mention Koei Tecmo. But you’re right that they’ve been on board since day one and have been integral to even Nintendo games on Switch. To be given the opportunity to develop a game like Fire Emblem Three Houses was huge and the dedicated Zelda and Fire Emblem Musou games have been even more successful than their own recent Musou games. Outside of the Warrior and the Atelier games, they also developed games like Buddy Mission BOND and, surprisingly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Even Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame made a comeback with their games released on Switch. I’d say they can make a case for the best third party developer on Switch alongside Square Enix.

I think Square Enix are the 2nd best at supporting Switch with Sega. Nowadays Koei Tecmo and Square Enix are even in their Switch support, but I give the #1 spot to Koei Tecmo. The reason is as I stated before, they've been 100% with Switch since day one. 

So for me it's...
Koei Tecmo
Square Enix/Sega
NIS America/Bandai Namco
Capcom/Ubisoft/Bethesda

If you ask me, it's gotta be Square-Enix. Between major HD-2D exclusives like Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, and Octopath (well, that one did eventually go to other platforms but still) and stuff like Bravely Default II, day and date releases for some of their smaller titles like the upcoming Diofield Chronicle and Harvestella, and that's dating back to launch year when they had other smaller RPGs launching on Switch as well like Lost Sphear, and high quality ports like NieR Automata and Dragon Quest XIS. Not to mention they have a ton of their back catalog on there too, even including a bunch of Final Fantasy games that previously never saw the light of day on a Nintendo platform. There are a few questionable ones such as Kingdom Hearts cloud versions (but hey better than nothing I guess? or maybe not lol) and obviously FFXVI is PS5 exclusive so we won't be seeing that on Switch. But for the most part, yeah they've supported the Switch amazingly well I'd say.

Around the Network

Yeah I gotta go with Square Enix as well.

Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, Bravely Default 2, Dragon Quest 11/Heroes/Builders 1 & 2/Treasures, Oninaki, I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Chocobo GP, Live A Live, Harvestella, Diofield Chronicle, Nier Automata, Crisis Core Reunion... no other major publisher has committed this much content to Nintendo's hybrid, to my knowledge.

Most of their stuff is not my cup of tea personally, but I have to give credit where credit is due.
Honourable mentions to Bethesda and Tecmo Koei.

Switch may not have PS/Xbox levels of third party support, but I have to say, after the Wii U, it feels like a rainstorm after a long drought.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

SEGA!

Square Enix (Dragon Quest 11) and Capcom (Monster Hunter Rise) are fairly obvious thanks to their extensive catalogue contributions—we even got Final Fantasy 7 on the Switch! An ActRaiser remake, Dragon Quest 3 remake coming. But outside of Dragon Quest 11 and Monster Hunter Rise, not much in the way of new content. Capcom has The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles which appeals a lot to me, but isn’t a particularly major game, Square Enix had Octopath Traveler which was more of a throwback to the B-games from Square and not as creative or interesting as the games that inspired it—Romancing Saga remasters are also available on Switch, and Live A Live comes soon. I’ll note that for the most avid RPG fans, Square’s 1990s B-games are all kinds of awesome.

My vote goes to the less obvious is Sega. Not only do we have huge collections and massive catalogue contributions, including the Nintendo Online/Virtual Console stuff. Sonic content. And (along with Square Enix and Capcom) contributions to Nintendo products like Smash and Mario and Sonic Olympics. And through Atlus we got Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Persona 3-5. All of this, IMO, puts the crown on Sega’s head. I feel their new content and catalogue stuff goes further than Square Enix or Capcom… although, IMO, Square Enix has the potential to outdo Sega, they haven’t released a lot of their top tier classics: Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Time, Terranigma, Dragon Quest 5, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, and probably a few other very important games. An FF13 collection will be announced in the next couple years, I can smell it.

Marvelous (Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon before 2012) has been disappointing lately. I feel like they’ve slipped after being very strong contributors to Nintendo platforms during the Wii and 3DS generations.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 14 July 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Thinking about it some more, I feel like Rebellion deserves props as well.

They brought over Sniper Elite 2/3/4, Zombie Army Trilogy, Zombie Army 4, and Strange Brigade, and their ports are some of the best PS4-to-Switch conversions out there, with significantly better image and texture quality than the vast majority of such ports.

All my fingers are crossed that they bring over Sniper Elite 5 as well.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)