By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What third party publisher has given Switch the best support?

VAMatt said:

How do you define "best support"? Is it the raw number of games, quality of games, popularity of games, or what?

If we don't care about the number of games, I can make an argument for Ubisoft or Microsoft, I think.

I mean, I think that is for everyone to decide for themselves, right?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Koei Tecmo. It's not even close. They've been with Switch since day one and nearly all their published titles since it's release has a Switch version day one with the other versions. I'm also convinced they're the reason Persona 5 Strikers came to the Switch.

Chrkeller said:

Platinum with Astral Chain and the assumption Bayo 3 is going to be amazing.

Astral Chain is quite a hidden gem, one of the best games I've played.

Agree, great game.

Nier Automata now and Vanquish 2 will be glorious. 

Sogreblute said:

Koei Tecmo. It's not even close. They've been with Switch since day one and nearly all their published titles since it's release has a Switch version day one with the other versions. I'm also convinced they're the reason Persona 5 Strikers came to the Switch.

This.

Was about to call out the entire thread for not mentioning Koei Tecmo more.

They even supported the Switch with titles older than the Switch, despite questionable financial viability.

Chrkeller said:

Can't forget Okami and Wonderful101 and some other ports

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Bandai Namco I guess

My only issue is that Bandai Namco can do so much more than what they’re doing now. Sure they’ve ported some solid/great current Gen games (though I wished Soul Calibur VI was ported), older games, and released some unique smaller titles (even developing Smash Ultimate and New Pokemon Snap), but I would like to see bigger new games from their studios that don’t relate to Nintendo franchises. For example, Capcom was able to develop MHRise after MHW, why can’t BN develop an original Tales of game if Arise is considered tough to port? 

Capcom is solid with their retro content, but lacking in their more recent/newer games. There’s not much possibility of the more recent SF games (like 5 or 6) and only rumors of an original Resident Evil title coming to Switch. The Monster Hunter side, though, is great with Rise/Sunbreak and Stories 2 alongside Generations.

Sega/Atlus are kinda like Capcom, but they’ve released more current Gen games like Shining Resonance, Valkyrie Chronicles 4, 13 Sentinels, and, finally, the recent Persona games outside of 5 Strikers. Of course, Sonic has remained a staple and even Frontiers will come out Switch. No Yakuza games though..

Square Enix is probably the best third party developer on Switch in my opinion. Outside of the various retro FF and DQ ports, they’ve established a great trend on Switch. Octopath Traveler was a sign of things to come for Team Asano with the HD-2D focus, leading to Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, and DQ3 Remake. Bravely Default 2 was a solid game. DQXIS was an incredible game that was worth rebuilding from the ground up to work on Switch. Even Nier Automata is coming soon and looks pretty good for a PS4 game being ported. I guess the only issues are that there weren’t any games from their Western studios or Crystal Dynamics before they left (I.e., Tomb Raider, Hitman, etc.) outside of the GotG cloud game unless I missed something and the missed opportunity of the Kingdom Hearts series coming to Switch. Outside of KH3, the rest of the series could’ve been ported instead of being cloud versions. I think fans would’ve waited patiently a little longer if it meant seeing a physical/digital Kingdom Hearts game on Switch, but I guess they wanted to take advantage of the Sora in Smash hype.

I think the main difference is the power of IP. So many developers have stated that AA+ games nowadays are more expensive to make, and that's why IPs with less popularity don't survive because they need that manpower for something else, whereas a popular series like Monster Hunter can assure at least a return. Another thing is probably the motivation, obviously the development team has to have some kind of love towards the series they're working on, perhaps they don't have anyone that has the passion for that series? 

Sogreblute said:

I forgot to mention Koei Tecmo. But you’re right that they’ve been on board since day one and have been integral to even Nintendo games on Switch. To be given the opportunity to develop a game like Fire Emblem Three Houses was huge and the dedicated Zelda and Fire Emblem Musou games have been even more successful than their own recent Musou games. Outside of the Warrior and the Atelier games, they also developed games like Buddy Mission BOND and, surprisingly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Even Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame made a comeback with their games released on Switch. I’d say they can make a case for the best third party developer on Switch alongside Square Enix.

Chrkeller said:

Platinum doesn't publish these.

In total number of releases Bandai Namco by a long shot.
Taking into account other aspects Koei Tecmo, Capcom and Square Enix gave way better support. Even Ubisoft maybe.
EA is rock bottom though.

VAMatt said:

How do you define "best support"? Is it the raw number of games, quality of games, popularity of games, or what?

If we don't care about the number of games, I can make an argument for Ubisoft or Microsoft, I think.

Whichever metric means the most to you.

theRepulic is right, I was asking for your opinion, it's up to you. :)