By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 109M Units, XS Outsells PS5 - Global Hardware June 12-18

Even if it is only for one week, it is insane seeing Xbox outselling PlayStation in Japan! I would have never thought that could happen.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:

Even if it is only for one week, it is insane seeing Xbox outselling PlayStation in Japan! I would have never thought that could happen.

And this would be the 2nd week within the last month or so.

Switch just casually putting away over a million a month during the quiet time of the year at this stage of its life is still crazy to me.
It's got stamina like a thoroughbred.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 June 2022

I can influence websites now >:)

Happy to help. Someone tagged me on Twitter asking if Xbox was ahead of PS5 in the US and someone was saying it did in NA. Didn't want that info to spread.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

curl-6 said:

Switch just casually putting away over a million a month during the quiet time of the year at this stage of its life is still crazy to me.
It's got stamina like a thoroughbred.

Yeah, looks like Switch will be just a bit under 8m at the end of June.  That probably means it will be around 12m at the end of September.  Then another 10m -ish for the holiday quarter.  Looks like Switch will sell around 22m or so this year.

Around the Network

Last year's lowest week for Switch was 251k before the OLED model launch. If Switch can hold above this level during summer, Nintendo can be very happy. Sales should rise with Splatoon 3 at the beginning of September.

trunkswd said:

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 7,482,129
  2. XSX|S: 7,276,001
  3. Switch: 7,199,949

Through the first 84 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.21 million units and is 0.28 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.08 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.48 million in 84 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 7.28 million units and the Switch 7.20 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 84 weeks, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 34.1 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 33.1 percent, and the Switch at 32.8 percent.

Holy guacamole that's a close race. The Americas are by far the most interesting market to watch sales-wise, they have no fixed loyalty and victory is up for grabs for any one of the big three, they just have to seize it.

The PS5 vs Series sales war to me won't be interesting until shortages are no longer the dictating factor

Sony struggles to ship enough, MS ships enough thanks to the S model, but this could backfire pushing devs with not too high budgets to make just one XS version of their games, the one that can run on the weakest XS model.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!