By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2022 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2022 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz monthly Sales Comparison articles for the month of May 2022. Everyone is welcome to post monthly articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS in Japan Sales Comparison - May 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 44,393 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 942,294 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,925,413 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 24,967,346

DS Total Sales: 29,892,759

May 2022 is the 63rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch has outsold the DS by 44,393 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 0.94 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.93 million units.

The 63rd month for the Switch is May 2022, while for the DS it is February 2010. The Switch has sold 24.97 million units, while the DS sold 29.89 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 49.

The DS has sold 32.98 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 8.01 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I updated the first chart - the "Gap Charts" one - to make it easier to read what you are looking at. Let me know what you all think. Suggestion was by @Chicho

trunkswd said:

I updated the first chart - the "Gap Charts" one - to make it easier to read what you are looking at. Let me know what you all think. Suggestion was by @Chicho

I like it, looks good. Maybe another arrow behind the plattform as well?

↑ NS lead ↑

↓ DS lead ↓

But basically it doesnt really matter ;)

DaAndy said:
trunkswd said:

I like it, looks good. Maybe another arrow behind the plattform as well?

↑ NS lead ↑

↓ DS lead ↓

But basically it doesnt really matter ;)

I am not sure if another arrow is needed. Once our media library gets updated I will have more to work with. Right now our media library resizes EVERY image to 640 pixels wide no matter what, so I want to have the main part of the chart as big as possible. This makes it easier to see where the numbers are. We have it on our long list of fixes for Bandorr to update it so it keeps whatever size the original image is instead of resizing them.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - May 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in Europe in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 164,896 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,838,247 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,117,348 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 27,764,020

Wii Total Sales: 30,881,368

May 2022 is the 63rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch caught up by 164,896 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.84 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 3.12 million units.

The 63rd month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2022 and for the Wii it is February 2012. The Switch has sold 27.76 million units, while the Wii sold 30.88 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 54.

The Wii sold 33.12 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 5.36 million units to outsell the Wii.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - May 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 113,931 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,490,717 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,458,832 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 27,764,020

PS3 Total Sales: 23,305,188

May 2022 is the 63rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch has grown its lead over the PlayStation 3 by 113,931 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 1.49 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 1.49 million units.

The 63rd month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is May 2022 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2012. The Switch has sold 27.76 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 23.31 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 80.

The PlayStation 3 sold 30.87 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 3.11 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

If anyone is wondering why I started with the Japan and Europe comparison charts that is due to waiting on NPD figures to come out before doing the worldwide and US comparisons. While the Japan, UK and Europe charts for May are all out now. 

Share the article here. New sales comparison article as per one of your suggestions. I also decided to add in Xbox One sales and OG Xbox lifetime sales. 

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in Japan - May 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360 in Japan, as well as looking at lifetime original Xbox sales and Xbox One sales.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in Japan in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in Japan in December 2005. The original Xbox launched in Japan in February 2002 and the Xbox One in September 2014.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 1,208 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 99,754 - X360

Total Lead: 194,742 - X360

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 216,986

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 411,728

May 2022 is the 19th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for in Japan. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox 360 by just 1,208 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has grown its lead over the Xbox Series X|S by 99,754 units. The Xbox 360 is currently ahead by 194,742 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 216,986 units in 19 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 411,728 units. Month 19 for the Xbox Series X|S is May 2022 and for the Xbox 360 is June 2007.

The Xbox 360 crossed 500,000 units sold in month 24, one million units in month 40, and 1.5 million units in month 67.

The Xbox Series X|S outsold lifetime Xbox One sales in month 13.

That's a very interesting comparison. X|S is off to a good start, but it has some ground to gain to catch the XB360.