Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gaming Habit Changes Since the Switch

Cats vs Dogs

Cats 17 45.95%

Dogs 9 24.32%

You Can't Make Me Choose 6 16.22%

I prefer reptiles, birds, etc. 4 10.81%

Don't Like Animals Much 1 2.70%

Total:37

Just wondering how this past generation has changed gaming for you since you purchased your Switch.  If there haven't been any changes, then feel free to share that as well.  I'll list the changes that have happened for me (and there definitely have been some) in a later post as I don't want to steer the conversation in any particular direction.

So when you consider the past few years of your gaming life in contrast to past generations, what have you noticed has changed the most?  

Oh, and enjoy the completely unrelated poll question.

Around the Network

I got a PS5 and it feels weird that I can't take it with me when I leave the house

The Switch has SIGNIFICANTLY changed my gaming habits. I have two docks, one in the theater and one in the living room. Because I can move around, pending what the wife+kids are doing, I am gaming a lot more. Which has me buying a lot more Switch games.

I started to play much more when I got a Switch because I used to live in 2 houses and spend a good time of day commuting

This changed during the pandemic outbreak. I now live in just one house, got a full time remote job  and I only play games at home again because now going outdoors means I want do anything except looking at a screen or computer. 

In short, pandemic blocked Switch for having a lasting impact in my gaming life

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 09 June 2022

mZuzek said:
super_etecoon said:

So when you consider the past few years of your gaming life in contrast to past generations, what have you noticed has changed the most?

I used to play a lot of games and get hyped over new and upcoming releases.

Now, I rarely play games or get hyped about anything.

Do you have other hobbies or interests that are picking up the slack?

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

Just wondering how this past generation has changed gaming for you since you purchased your Switch.  If there haven't been any changes, then feel free to share that as well.  I'll list the changes that have happened for me (and there definitely have been some) in a later post as I don't want to steer the conversation in any particular direction.

Oh, and enjoy the completely unrelated poll question.

Now that I can play the same game anywhere as I do at home, I find that I have been able to complete many more games that I previously had time for.  I used to watch YouTube videos on my phone in my car during lunchbreak at work.  Now I use that time to continue my seasons of NBA2K or whatever other game I'm playing.  If I'm going on a car ride and someone else is driving, I bring my Switch.  If I'm traveling, I bring my Switch.  If I'm doing anything that involves waiting on a line, I bring my Switch.  Now that I can play my console games anywhere, I don't spend any time messing around with time-waster mobile games on my phone anymore. 

It's definitely given me more time to play the games that I enjoy.  I remember starting The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild the day the Switch launched and finishing it while on vacation at my brother's house 1,200+ miles away 5 months later.  I'm sure that I still would have enjoyed that game on the Wii U if that was the only system it released on, but I do wonder how much longer it would have taken me to complete if I could only play it on my living room TV.

Also, now that I have more time to play, I find that I'm buying way more games than I used to.  The Switch is easily my largest software collection of any system at this point.

Very little has changed. Still play games about as much as before, and since I only really play the Switch on TV, that hasn't changed anything either.

I found I vastly prefer handhelds--but at the same time want huge console experiences. The Switch has been the perfect console for me, I plan to get the Steam Deck in the future and I hope Nintendo continues with the hybrid console idea. In addition, while I always played a lot of games before the Switch, I have played a significant amount more since, and I have also introduced myself to different genres. I would have never played Doom, Overwatch or the Wolfenstein games if they didn't come to the Switch--letting me enjoy the FPS genre that I have never enjoyed before. I now also play Apex on and off and look forward to Overwatch 2 and other unique FPS titles. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

I think the biggest change for me is how quick I can switch between games. I don't know how much this is/was possible in previous generations on the 360/PS3 and the XOne and the PS4, but I can definitely say it was never this fast on the WiiU, Wii, and previous Nintendo generations. I've gone almost 100% digital this gen (another very big change) and part of the reason for that is simply that I don't want to get up to change the game I'm playing.
I love being able to switch between Animal Crossing: New Horizons, still a game I play daily, Rocket League, a game I play multiple times a day, as well as whichever main game I'm playing or trying out: currently Green Hell. I mean, how could I pass up picking this game up for les than $3.

Which brings me to another point: I have so many more games this gen. Granted, a ton of them are indie games or games I bought on sale, but boy am I going to be stoked if the Switch 2 allows me to keep my library, hopefully with bigger on board storage. One of these days I'll actually take the time to compare my libraries, but I'd be willing to bet that I've purchased twice as many games on Switch as I have on any other console.

The fact that the system boots up so quickly, and has a suspend feature, also means that in addition to playing more games at once, I'm playing more games, period. I can quickly jump into a game of Rocket League before work if I have 10-15 minutes to spare. I could take my Switch to work and finish a few shrines in BOTW in between customers.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that all of these things are good changes. Being able to switch between games so quickly also means there are games I haven't played enough or gave up on too quickly. The allure of the Eshop with another game to try out is always there and skimming through the sales page is definitely a weekly if not daily ritual, always (slowly) cycling through the list to see if a hidden gem or a game that I've forgotten about has a sale price I just can't pass up.

Overall, though, I don't have many complaints with the changes, considering the real world situation. I love playing music, going to shows, having board game nights, etc, but in this current era those things just aren't as enticing. The Switch and the time I spend playing in the same room with my girlfriend (our tvs are stacked on top of each other) has made this maddening time just a little bit more tolerable.

Oh, and I definitely prefer cats!

None related to the gaming medium itself, when I play I feel its the same "dynamic" as always, but I feel many changes more linked to life itself. I just dont have time to play as much anymore, I have different priorities now. And little by little im drifting away from gaming as it is. In fact I havent turned on the Switch for over a month, maybe 2?

Also, dogs would be my choice, obviously. But I do like cats as well.