Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gaming Habit Changes Since the Switch

Cats vs Dogs

Cats 17 45.95%

Dogs 9 24.32%

You Can't Make Me Choose 6 16.22%

I prefer reptiles, birds, etc. 4 10.81%

Don't Like Animals Much 1 2.70%

Total:37

Um, the Switch is my first Nintendo console that I put any significant amount of time playing... IDK if that counts as a gaming habit though?

Around the Network

By using Switch as my primary console, I have gained ao much more playtime than I had previously. You really don't know how great hybrid functionality is till you have it, and it still holds up when claiming my game time to this day (even with my XSX and PS5). Being able to play my games during my downtime at work, and resume those same playthroughs seamlessly on my TV at home has been a game changer.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I used to play a lot of past generation systems until the Switch. Probably between 25 and 85% of my total play time was an earlier console than the current gen. In fact, I played SNES more than N64 and Gamecube during those two generations, and PSX more than PS2 and PS3. During the Wii U generation I played significantly more Wii (including Virtual console). That was home consoles, with handhelds I dropped the previous generations except for my very favourite games after 3 years.

The Switch is different, this generation, ~95% of the time I play is the Switch. The only game on previous gen hardware I played in the last couple of years (not counting classic mini consoles) is Chrono Trigger. Granted, I still play a lot of classic games, but they’re mostly on the Switch hardware.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 09 June 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I play much more and buy more games. I make frequent use of all three modes, handheld, docked and tabletop. It's very refreshing. Sometimes I feel like I wanna play my 3DS games on the big screen or my Wii and GC games in handheld.

And btw I love cats!

Shiken said:

By using Switch as my primary console, I have gained ao much more playtime than I had previously. You really don't know how great hybrid functionality is till you have it, and it still holds up when claiming my game time to this day (even with my XSX and PS5). Being able to play my games during my downtime at work, and resume those same playthroughs seamlessly on my TV at home has been a game changer.

absolutely agreed.  If I am playing on my ps5 and the kids want to watch a movie...  I'm done gaming..  when I am playing my Switch and the kids want to watch a movie, I move to another TV and keep playing.  Switch mobility to more than 1 TV is amazing.  

Around the Network

Tbh before the Switch i was completely used to and content with playing games the traditional way on a console playing on the TV & that would be my preferable way to play over a portable experience, while I still enjoyed portable gaming I would portable game mainly as a complimentary way to play games rather than my primary way since portable gaming before the Switch never really offered big gaming experiences that I prefer to play the most. The DS,3DS never really came close for me to the full console experience to ever really use it as my preferable way to play.
However, ever since the Switch my preferable & primary way to play by far is portably. I just love the idea of playing a full console game wherever I want since imo playing portably while laying in bed or somewhere comfortable is much more appealing to me than having to look up and stare at a TV to play games. The Switch has changed my habits since now I find it difficult to find the will to hook it up to the TV or play much of any console on the TV since I'm so used to playing comfortably on the go.

I've always been mostly a portable gamer so the way I play games hasn't changed much with the Switch. However, the scope of said games has increased drammatically. Compare the best Zeldas, Marios and Metroids of previous Nintendo platforms with the best we can find on Switch. Breath of the Wild VS A Link Between Worlds. Super Mario 3D Land VS Super Mario Odyssey. Metroid Dread VS Samus Returns.

It's just a completely different league. I would have never imagined I would be playing such huge games in a portable console. It's insane to me. There's a huge difference in what we can expect from a portable game today VS 10 years ago. Even the Vita just pushed for wattered down PS3 experiences at best.

With the Switch (and although is not exactly a console, with the Steam Deck as well) there's a new bar for portable consola gaming. We no longer need to settle for vastly inferior experiences due to hardware limitations. I mean, those still exist as current multi platform ports confirm, but then again, the fact that we can get some of those multiplatforms AT ALL... is mindblowing.

To me that's the biggest change with the Switch.

Before the Switch, I was playing on my PC to whatever it could run (aka mostly old stuff) and bought a PS3 mid 2014 to play GTA V and other titles at a very cheap price. Got around 13 games on it, and sold it after 1 year.

Got the Switch in late May 2017 and since then, I never played as much to a console as I did on the Switch. Got a PS4 afterwards, and then a PS5, but I barely played games on them (only exclusives, and like barely any). I have like a 100 games on the Switch now, discovered the indie games, several old franchises, new ones as well, best console for me.

Since Switch, I have pretty much abandoned the modern gaming industry. I still love the community, still read and keep up with all the latest news, still have an interest in what's happening--but the way games are made, played and consumed is so different from the era I enjoyed the most (Atari 2600-PS2), that it's barely even recognizable. Simply put: I don't enjoy what's coming out anymore, save for a few exceptions. So now, I basically only play games that released up the sixth generation. I'm happier that way.

I probably collect more for the Switch than I actually play.

But when I get a game that I am absolutely excited about... I.E. Breath of the Wild, Links Awakening, Metroid: Dread... Then I just can't put it down.

PC is definitely my main platform that I gravitate towards, I love my strategy games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--