By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS5 Sales Top 20 Million Units

DonFerrari said:
ConservagameR said:

They'll never make up for everything lost in the first few years, but this could end up making more back than some might think, or just plain new player expansion once the demand is basically met and the supply chain is able to pump out systems like there's no tomorrow. 

I have a hard time seeing Sony pull the same price stagnation with PS5 that they did with PS4 due to the production hold up. They will want to attempt to make up as much lost ground as possible, so I can see them getting extremely competitive on unit pricing and bundle deals about mid gen or slightly after that at the latest.

I don't think it would be crazy to see a $299 PS5 Slim and $399 PS5 Pro when launched (if a Pro get's launched), unlike the $299 PS4 Slim and $399 PS4 Pro being only $100 cheaper for the base and same launch price for the Pro. That or I'm betting they offer some unimaginable value bundles that don't seem possible.

Either scenario will send sales skyrocketing and it wouldn't settle down quickly either. While Sony would probably prefer to go with bundles, I think unit price will be more important if XB sales keep up like they are. It's easier to coax someone playing or considering the competitions box with a cheaper PS5, than with a more expensive bundle of games they possibly may not be interested in, no matter the value.

I don't think impossible to see Sony giving a price cut to accelerate the sales if the supply outdo demand when they ramp up production

Like some others have mentioned in here, it also depends on how long inflation drags on for.

Yet two years ago it had barely started, last year was only a minor problem, and now is becoming more of a concern mid 2022. So there's nothing saying that the situation can't or won't reverse itself in a similar amount of time, which would put us about mid 2024, being either mid gen timeframe or not long thereafter.

Now if things don't improve and inflation sticks around as is for years and years, or get's worse, then you can almost certainly forget about upgraded consoles this gen. As for price cut's, not until Slim models arrive anyway, and even then they might end up $500 still to try and make up for extended subsidy losses sustained during this period.

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't think impossible to see Sony giving a price cut to accelerate the sales if the supply outdo demand when they ramp up production

Like some others have mentioned in here, it also depends on how long inflation drags on for.

Yet two years ago it had barely started, last year was only a minor problem, and now is becoming more of a concern mid 2022. So there's nothing saying that the situation can't or won't reverse itself in a similar amount of time, which would put us about mid 2024, being either mid gen timeframe or not long thereafter.

Now if things don't improve and inflation sticks around as is for years and years, or get's worse, then you can almost certainly forget about upgraded consoles this gen. As for price cut's, not until Slim models arrive anyway, and even then they might end up $500 still to try and make up for extended subsidy losses sustained during this period.

Inflation always existed, and in Brazil for example very rarely below 4% a year, but even them electronics usually drop price every year for similar spec product, that is part of the maturity of production and cycle of renewal. I find it very hard to believe Sony would keep PS5 price the same (or increase) for 5 or 6 years. 6 months ago they already had confirmed they were breaking even on HW, so now they are likely profiting a little, sure they won't cut while they are outdemanded, but as soon as they are able to produce more than sell and the gain in sales (profits from HW, SW and royalties and subs) outdo the loss in profit from the cut on the project life of that console on the hand of customer they will cut.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BasilZero said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Considering the supply issues that persist, maybe we won't see a PS6 until 2028 or 2029 or something like that. Only time will tell I suppose.

Good, I dont mind a longer generation.

Same. I'm still not done with my PS4 

Congrats to the PS5!! I managed to get one via PlayStation Direct during its invite only restock. Currently replaying Spider-Man: Miles Morales in New Game Plus. Really like the performance mode in this version!

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 06 June 2022

Kyuu said:

One thing that caught my attention is Sony's latest revenue forecasts showing some annual decreases in hardware revenue for the next few years. I guess hardware sales can still increase despite the decrease in revenue, via a combination of price drops and pushing more PS5DE's. But unless Sony is underestimating demand or overestimating the shortage, it doesn't look like PS5's peak year will approach 22 million.

I also don't see why Sony would drop the PS5 price anytime soon. Their HW revenue forecasts don't seem to match their HW sales expectations. Or at least that's how I felt about it, maybe I miscalculated.

That is a great point, even more when Sony said they are ramping up production and expect to caught up again with PS4 total this year and start outpacing it from there. Perhaps exchange rates have something to do with it or will it really be heavy discount soon?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

One thing that caught my attention is Sony's latest revenue forecasts showing some annual decreases in hardware revenue for the next few years. I guess hardware sales can still increase despite the decrease in revenue, via a combination of price drops and pushing more PS5DE's. But unless Sony is underestimating demand or overestimating the shortage, it doesn't look like PS5's peak year will approach 22 million.

I also don't see why Sony would drop the PS5 price anytime soon. Their HW revenue forecasts don't seem to match their HW sales expectations. Or at least that's how I felt about it, maybe I miscalculated.

They may be predicting price cuts to stay competitive (i.e if Microsoft does so on the X, they'll follow suite) as opposed to being $50 or $100 more expensive than the competition. Also the Switch 2 will be more a direct competitor than the Switch has been. i.e I imagine it'll be able to play a lot of third party titles without much much compromise outside of resolution (DLSS upscaled 720p) and a 30fps cap.

DLSS, based on a few videos, looks game changing to me. Good way to get impressive visuals without taxing the hardware. I'm ready for the switch 2.

Drakrami said:

Meanwhile Microsoft is too shy to announce any sale numbers because they dont like to be last place. So, they'll announce their MAU.

Agreed this is kind of annoying. Microsoft hasn't given hard sales numbers since 2015 with their Xbox consoles at this point. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

DonFerrari said:
ConservagameR said:

Inflation always existed, and in Brazil for example very rarely below 4% a year, but even them electronics usually drop price every year for similar spec product, that is part of the maturity of production and cycle of renewal. I find it very hard to believe Sony would keep PS5 price the same (or increase) for 5 or 6 years. 6 months ago they already had confirmed they were breaking even on HW, so now they are likely profiting a little, sure they won't cut while they are outdemanded, but as soon as they are able to produce more than sell and the gain in sales (profits from HW, SW and royalties and subs) outdo the loss in profit from the cut on the project life of that console on the hand of customer they will cut.

That's because electronics had barely any inflation until 2020. Since then, electronics also have become a lot more expensive, as the fabs have constantly raised the prices of wafers and cut price bonuses for big and recurring clients. Add to this the fact that shipping has become much more expensive due to the fuel costs, and that several raw materials for the casings and some parts on the motherboards have become more expensive, too, and I don't see how the current consoles could drop in price anytime soon without dropping way below production price.

In the past generations, some part of the lower cost have come from cutting ports, but there ain't much you can really cut out apart from some USB ports, which these days will only save you several pennies each. And you can't really cut down on storage space to make up for it either, as it's already quite small with today's game storage space needs.

NobleTeam360 said:

I'm sure it's been pointed out a ton already but you do have to wonder how many units they would have sold if the PS5 wasn't so severely supply-constrained. It also makes me wonder if Sony will ride the PS5 for a longer period of time than even the PS4 or PS3 gens (both going 7 years before their replacements launched). Considering the supply issues that persist, maybe we won't see a PS6 until 2028 or 2029 or something like that. Only time will tell I suppose.

I doubt it, current gen is already falling back hard on performance compared to PC, and considering how strong AMD's new APUs are, I could see those coming close to the PS5 in terms of performance by those dates already. I mean, the 680M inside the new 6000 series APUs is already knocking at the back doors of the PS4 Pro and the Series S, how much longer and they can reach anything close to the PS5 in terms of performance?

And that's not even talking about Raytracing, which is a weakness of RDNA2 but will certainly become more and more important in the next years.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 06 June 2022

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

That's because electronics had barely any inflation until 2020. Since then, electronics also have become a lot more expensive, as the fabs have constantly raised the prices of wafers and cut price bonuses for big and recurring clients. Add to this the fact that shipping has become much more expensive due to the fuel costs, and that several raw materials for the casings and some parts on the motherboards have become more expensive, too, and I don't see how the current consoles could drop in price anytime soon without dropping way below production price.

In the past generations, some part of the lower cost have come from cutting ports, but there ain't much you can really cut out apart from some USB ports, which these days will only save you several pennies each. And you can't really cut down on storage space to make up for it either, as it's already quite small with today's game storage space needs.

true, they will have to find a way if they don't want to eat loses.