By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: PS5 Sales Top 20 Million Units

With inflation hitting worldwide I would expect price increases not decreases.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:

With inflation hitting worldwide I would expect price increases not decreases.

Yeah, I don't see any of the current gen consoles getting any cheaper anymore outside of the occasional promotion. I'm pretty sure even that the consoles right now are more expensive to produce and ship than they did when they first released.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 June 2022

I'm sure it's been pointed out a ton already but you do have to wonder how many units they would have sold if the PS5 wasn't so severely supply-constrained. It also makes me wonder if Sony will ride the PS5 for a longer period of time than even the PS4 or PS3 gens (both going 7 years before their replacements launched). Considering the supply issues that persist, maybe we won't see a PS6 until 2028 or 2029 or something like that. Only time will tell I suppose.

So when exactly did it hit 20m? end of May?
Can they count numbers in a only a day or two?
Did it hit 20m earlier than that? (a few weeks back?) (like may 21st? may28th?)

Drakrami said:

Meanwhile Microsoft is too shy to announce any sale numbers because they dont like to be last place. So, they'll announce their MAU.

They only prefer to brag about gaining market share in certain countries in one quarter after they moneyhat priority for chips during a global shortage. The rest of the time they're quiet as fuck about numbers/share. Sleazy! 

Around the Network

@NobleTeam360 I definitely feel like this generation will be longer than normal. I also agree that the PS6 (as well as the next Xbox) will launch in 2028 or even 2029, as opposed to 2029. This would be largely due to stock issues, covid, inflation and of course the chip shortage (though those 4 issues are all basically linked as opposed to being four completely separate things). I feel like this affects Nintendo as well. Whereas Nintendo might have probably planned to launch a Switch successor in 2023 or 2024 before covid was a thing, I am now expecting it in 2025.

Also I'm thinking that any new models for PS5 and XS would probably launch around 2025 (as opposed to 2023 or 2024 that has been rumored). I personally prefer longer generations due to the fact that development time is getting longer, even excluding covid, shortages, etc. It allows the consoles to have more games made. I feel like it's only natural anyways. Generations used to last about 5 years and then it became 7 when PS3 & 360 launched, so now hopefully it becomes 8 or 9.

Could be better, but still good.

ConservagameR said:
Serious_frusting said:

Sony must be so disappointed with these numbers knowing what they could have sold.
Microsoft is laughing because of the amount of xboxes it has shipped because of the lack of playstations.

They'll never make up for everything lost in the first few years, but this could end up making more back than some might think, or just plain new player expansion once the demand is basically met and the supply chain is able to pump out systems like there's no tomorrow. 

I have a hard time seeing Sony pull the same price stagnation with PS5 that they did with PS4 due to the production hold up. They will want to attempt to make up as much lost ground as possible, so I can see them getting extremely competitive on unit pricing and bundle deals about mid gen or slightly after that at the latest.

I don't think it would be crazy to see a $299 PS5 Slim and $399 PS5 Pro when launched (if a Pro get's launched), unlike the $299 PS4 Slim and $399 PS4 Pro being only $100 cheaper for the base and same launch price for the Pro. That or I'm betting they offer some unimaginable value bundles that don't seem possible.

Either scenario will send sales skyrocketing and it wouldn't settle down quickly either. While Sony would probably prefer to go with bundles, I think unit price will be more important if XB sales keep up like they are. It's easier to coax someone playing or considering the competitions box with a cheaper PS5, than with a more expensive bundle of games they possibly may not be interested in, no matter the value.

I don't think impossible to see Sony giving a price cut to accelerate the sales if the supply outdo demand when they ramp up production

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The best solution would be PS5 Slim and SoC die shrink, it's a natural step for any console selling well (and PS5 sold well despite shortages), it cuts production, warehousing and shipping costs, it increases wafer yield and number of units that the same shelf space in stores can contain.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

The best solution would be PS5 Slim and SoC die shrink, it's a natural step for any console selling well (and PS5 sold well despite shortages), it cuts production, warehousing and shipping costs, it increases wafer yield and number of units that the same shelf space in stores can contain.

That depend on the nodes, but yes it is almost sure PS5 will be shrink and cut cost and price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."