By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Until Further Notice, I Give Up

leave all social media for a month and you will feel so much better.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Life truly is what you make it. The corny glass-half-full thing really does apply. My advice would be to narrow the world down. Stop watching/reading the news. Tune that junk out. It's only there to make money, anyway. It serves no purpose for you unless it's local news, and even then half the time it's just useless fodder. Focus on your personal life, and the few people closest to you. That should help. Oh, and can social media for awhile too! 

Doomerism is not helpful. I hope you don't give up on trying. When we try together we can cause change. We have done some really good stuff in environmentalism and civil rights and economic rights. If we just gave up, the world would be much worse than it is today. And giving up might not be an option anymore in some places like the US and India where fascism is rising and these people might try genocide if the people there don't fight and push back. That said, mental health is also important and you should focus on that as well. It's not easy to do good things and it's very easy to loose good things. If we didn't try, we would have never gotten a lot of the things we have.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Also maybe participate in local direct action. That will give you a lot of hopium. I am not that keen on telling people to complete ignore the problems of the world. So finding things around you you can do can be really helpful. Also it's good to take breaks. The break shouldn't be your entire life though.

https://rebellion.global/blog/2020/11/03/civil-disobedience-examples/

This is some examples of direct action to maybe cheer you up.

Last edited by Eagle367 - on 20 May 2022

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Don't give up CaptainExplosion, If saudi Arabia bought shares on Sega I would not quit I'd fight the and Tell Sega to not let those guys get anymore stock. Nintendo is smarter than Sega when it comes to business they'll be alright and push Saudi Arabia back.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

I'd say look closer to your own environment and people that you know, spaces that you're familiar with, things that you enjoy.

I'd assume a lot of what you're detailing are experiences which you're absorbing through media. You need to detach yourself from focusing on negativity. It's a perspective we have the freedom to choose. For things that you want to change in the world, work towards changing it whilst knowing that change often takes generations not years. I'm sure during slavery many people thought their efforts were pointless, but fast forward to mondern they and its a day and night difference (even if major injustices still prevail)

I believe and of course this is my opinion is that if you concentrate on the things you can control instead of the things you cannot. You can find the love and peace in this world that you seek when you turn your focus from larger bigger issues that would take a lifetime for change to things that you can work on that effect your current environment or surrounding.  Even the smallest thing can bring delight when you focus on what you can achieve.

A lot of times people love to think big but its the much smaller steps that is the success in life. You will be surprised how much you can accomplish when you narrow your focus to much smaller task and things you can control. Write those task down and their completion and by the end of the year you will be so surprised by how much you have accomplish it will make those worldly things insignificant.

CaptainExplosion said:

Just letting you all know that I've given up on the world. Endangered species are dropping like flies. Sea levels are going to drown most of us. Chinese children make pretty much all our toys. Tyrants control our favorite video games. Rich people survive while the rest of us practically starve. Police brutality is normal. Mass shootings are increasing. Just fuck the world, let's just do whatever we want because nothing matters.

"Sea levels are going to drown most of us."

Most projections show a sea level rise of less than 1 meter in the next 100 years, the worst scenario is a sea level rise of 2.2 meters in the next 100 years: https://sealevel.nasa.gov/ipcc-ar6-sea-level-projection-tool?type=global

Which altitude do you live? Sea levels won't drown most of us within our lifespan. We'll have other problems (f.e. if the gulf stream int the Atlantic breaks down, increase of extreme weather conditions...), but mass drowning won't be one of them.

"Chinese children make pretty much all our toys." - Do they? I'm sure, there are more Chinese adult workers making our toys than Chinese children workers.

"Police brutality is normal." - Not in most Western countries.

"Mass shootings are increasing." - Not a big problem in most countries.

Conina said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Just letting you all know that I've given up on the world. Endangered species are dropping like flies. Sea levels are going to drown most of us. Chinese children make pretty much all our toys. Tyrants control our favorite video games. Rich people survive while the rest of us practically starve. Police brutality is normal. Mass shootings are increasing. Just fuck the world, let's just do whatever we want because nothing matters.

"Sea levels are going to drown most of us."

Most projections show a sea level rise of less than 1 meter in the next 100 years, the worst scenario is a sea level rise of 2.2 meters in the next 100 years: https://sealevel.nasa.gov/ipcc-ar6-sea-level-projection-tool?type=global

Which altitude do you live? Sea levels won't drown most of us within our lifespan. We'll have other problems (f.e. if the gulf stream int the Atlantic breaks down, increase of extreme weather conditions...), but mass drowning won't be one of them.

"Chinese children make pretty much all our toys." - Do they? I'm sure, there are more Chinese adult workers making our toys than Chinese children workers.

"Police brutality is normal." - Not in most Western countries.

"Mass shootings are increasing." - Not a big problem in most countries.

To respond to these in order:

-My altitude doesn't change the problem of rising sea levels.

-China still has no child labor laws.

-Police brutality is still normal in North America, which Canada is a part of.

-Same as the above.