By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 19M, NS and XS Sales Remain Flat - Global Hardware Apr 17-23

Xbox is doing really well. Good for MS. I am curious about sales with Starfield and other big titles.

Around the Network

It's looking bad for PS5 now that the semiconductor Shortage is expected to last into 2024. Not that they are not doing descent numbers, but I don't think it will be possible for PS5 to sell as much as PS4 if these shortages continue.

Chrkeller said:

Xbox is doing really well. Good for MS. I am curious about sales with Starfield and other big titles.

Holiday 2022 and throughout 2023 will be the biggest indication as to how Xbox will do throughout the generation. 

Bethesda Game Studio's games are system sellers for sure and with Starfield being a new IP that many are expecting to be "Skyrim in space" is no doubt going to sell a ton of consoles, game sales in general, and Game Pass subscriptions. 

Then you factor in other first party games that'll be releasing throughout that timeframe like Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Hellblade 2, Contraband, Avowed, Fable, and Perfect Dark on top of Activision Blizzard games being added into Game Pass when the deal finalizes at some point in 2023, maybe sooner, and that'll give a clear picture as to how bright Xbox's future will be. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Holiday 2022 may be Xbox's best year ever. 

I didn't expect that Xbox SX had a drop so fast, due all these past months, it did it very well in its sales... Also, it appears that sony, will keep the track of 180K consoles weekly. And this, according with the graph, will make the gap between Switch and PS5 bigger... About Switch, this netx week, will be interesting how many consoles Switch sports will be able to move... At least a 350K I assume...

When Microsoft's CEO says "market leader among next-gen consoles during the last quarter" I think it's pretty clear what he means.

Of course many don't have the intelligence required to understand a basic sentence like that one and they decide to simply manipulate his words.

Edit: I'm not talking about the person above btw, he's actually correct. I refer to all the terrible websites that make false headlines to attract clicks, like saying Microsoft said they are the market leader in general, etc 

Last edited by Elputoxd - on 02 May 2022

Around the Network

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

PaulPortland said:

I didn't expect that Xbox SX had a drop so fast, due all these past months, it did it very well in its sales... Also, it appears that sony, will keep the track of 180K consoles weekly. And this, according with the graph, will make the gap between Switch and PS5 bigger... About Switch, this netx week, will be interesting how many consoles Switch sports will be able to move... At least a 350K I assume...

To think that a 5 year console is constantly outselling the new consoles is ridiculous, and they do it every week. But only because there's plenty stock for the switch. If the PS5 had plenty stock it would be selling minimum 500 000 per week right now, I know of so many people wanting to buy one and I have never seen one for sale.

This is one of the slower periods of the year; will be interesting to see if Switch rises next week. Nintendo sometimes allocate extra stock for their major games launches, but then again maybe Switch Sports is more of a long term seller like Ring Fit and other similar games than the kind of thing that causes a big boost right out of the gate.

victor83fernandes said:
PaulPortland said:

To think that a 5 year console is constantly outselling the new consoles is ridiculous, and they do it every week. But only because there's plenty stock for the switch. If the PS5 had plenty stock it would be selling minimum 500 000 per week right now, I know of so many people wanting to buy one and I have never seen one for sale.

it'll always be a case of what could have been with PS5.  That first year demand was especially crazy.  I have no doubt it'd be by far their biggest first year ever if there hadn't been the damn pandemic.

I am Iron Man

victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

Is there a reason to even have generations at this point ? 

Just release a upgraded hardware every 3 years and let devs decide which hardware they want to develop for, just like PCs