By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo allegedly violates Workers rights to organise

https://mobile.twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1516473093405003783?cxt=HHwWjsC-vc2PzIsqAAAA

Well isn't this a bummer

However it must be said that information is a bit light on the ground for what is happening and seems like an investigation is in order to get to the bottom of this

The list of allegations include

• 8(a)(1) Coercive Statements (Threats, Promises of Benefits, etc.)
  • 8(a)(1) Coercive Actions (Surveillance, etc)
  • 8(a)(3) Discharge (Including Layoff and Refusal to Hire (not salting))
  • 8(a)(1) Concerted Activities (Retaliation, Discharge, Discipline)

More information here

https://www.nlrb.gov/case/19-CA-294207

Now, to my smooth brain I can't make heads or tails out of this, I just hope it's not true, or if it is a solution can be reached soon

EDIT: This is a report only for Nintendo of America and Aston Carter, and not Nintendo of Japan!

Last edited by Kneetos - on 20 April 2022

Around the Network

It's good to see gamers holding Nintendo to account on this issue and spreading the word. Nobody should get a free pass and brand loyalty should never come before the expectation that a company behaves in a moral and ethical manner.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Much like Sony, Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, EA, etc. Nintendo of America probably operates in a similar fashion. No company is your friend. You can love their products but defending poor practices isn't worth anyone's time. As of now however, these are simply allegations. 

That being said, I've already seen people apply this to the entirety of Nintendo which I think is disingenuous and once again try to use it as an excuse to pirate new games. The internet is a strange place indeed.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 19 April 2022

Ljink96 said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. Much like Sony, Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, EA, etc. Nintendo of America probably operates in a similar fashion. No company is your friend. You can love their products but defending poor practices isn't worth anyone's time. As of now however, these are simply allegations. 

That being said, I've already seen people apply this to the entirety of Nintendo which I think is disingenuous and once again try to use it as an excuse to pirate new games. The internet is a strange place indeed.

You are indeed correct, no company is a friend to anyone, however Nintendo has historically treated their workers well, with them being the most willing to delay games and even have their CEO's take pay cuts and not fire their staff RIP Mr Iwata San.

I am going to take a "wait and see" approach to the news and see if more skeletons fall out of the closet before comparing them to Ubisoft or Activision blizzard

Just like with the allegations against the other companies/studios, this is absolutely true until (and if) proven otherwise. And even then, it might still remain true.

Around the Network
Kneetos said:
Ljink96 said:

You are indeed correct, no company is a friend to anyone, however Nintendo has historically treated their workers well, with them being the most willing to delay games and even have their CEO's take pay cuts and not fire their staff RIP Mr Iwata San.

I am going to take a "wait and see" approach to the news and see if more skeletons fall out of the closet before comparing them to Ubisoft or Activision blizzard

The Nintendo you're referring to is Nintendo JP or NCL. NCL is the entity that took pay cuts, delays games, etc. NOA is simply a mouthpiece for NCL, however they do have their own managerial style that applies more to western interests.

Each branch has cultural and societal differences. For example, back in the day Nintendo employees weren't even necessarily paid all that well. It didn't matter if a game sold 100K or 10 Million, you were paid your salary iirc. No bonuses. There's a recording of Miyamoto and other Nintendo staff stating this and that they were just happy to enjoy vacations or trips that the company provided. Heck, Capcom and Bamco only just recently increased salaries of their employees. Crunch was also something baked into gamedev culture back then in Nintendo. 

Every developer has skeletons in their closets. It's just that some may have the remains of a mouse while others have human remains. 

At this point, I no longer have the energy enough to investigate things of this nature. It seems like there are two realities. The one online, and the one offline. And neither of them even resemble each other. One is uber critical, uber sensitive, uber offended, uber vigilant, ready to fight, ready to point out every tiny, minute, minuscule little bit of negativity that the world has to offer so they can yell about it endlessly... and the other just wants a job, a place to live and to raise their kids in peace.

At one time, in my younger days, I participated in the former. Now, I live with the latter.

It's better that way.

wtf is organise?

clearly not organise their desks at work lol

This is not a good look.

There’s not much details, but this seems weird.
One worker filed a complaint for what seems to be unionization, but what’s the angle with hiring firm ?
I don’t get it…