By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo allegedly violates Workers rights to organise

Any updates on the allegations?

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

CaptainExplosion said:

Nintendo said in response:

"We are aware of the claim, which was filed with the National Labor Relations Board by a contractor who was previously terminated for the disclosure of confidential information and for no other reason. Nintendo is not aware of any attempts to unionize or related activity and intends to cooperate with the investigation conducted by the NLRB.

Nintendo is fully committed to providing a welcoming and supportive work environment for all our employees and contractors. We take matters of employment very seriously."

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-issues-statement-on-nlrb-labor-complaint/

deerox said:
CaptainExplosion said:

"We are aware of the claim, which was filed with the National Labor Relations Board by a contractor who was previously terminated for the disclosure of confidential information and for no other reason. Nintendo is not aware of any attempts to unionize or related activity and intends to cooperate with the investigation conducted by the NLRB.

Nintendo is fully committed to providing a welcoming and supportive work environment for all our employees and contractors. We take matters of employment very seriously."

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-issues-statement-on-nlrb-labor-complaint/

Well, so far they've been better than Activision at matters such as this.

twintail said:

All this talk about unionisation is really missing the real issues here: how non-contract employees have, and are still (supposedly), been treated.

Reading the threads on twitter honestly it sounds no worst or better than most companies in any industry. People get fired all the time for various reasons when companies get restructured. They get restructured usually to achieve just that because in say the previous 5/10 years they have bloated and want to lean down.

The problem with this is, generally it is the good people that suffer because there is always a group of people who suck up to management to ensure they survive these events. Generally their input to work is minimal too. 

One of the threads mentioned people close to retirement also getting fired. That is general practice when stuff gets restructured. Start with the old as they are a financial liability because they have many days of annual leave and sick leave saved up generally. What I am not sure off is whether the company has to pay them out if they are made redundant. Where I work in Australia, i think they have to pay us out 2 or 3 weeks per year of service. Up to like 20 or 30 weeks. So when you do get cut you still get a decent payout to tie you over whilst trying to find your next job.

Generally when you get fired, I have found that better opportunities arise as for some unexplainable reason when it happens at the time there is some great job elsewhere, maybe I have jsut been lucky in that regard lol.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
deerox said:

In what way? All they did was deny the accusation.

deerox said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I only buy the last sentence.

deerox said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well last I heard, we haven't had sexual assault allegations or any form of frat boy culture at Nintendo.

CaptainExplosion said:
deerox said:

Well last I heard, we haven't had sexual assault allegations or any form of frat boy culture at Nintendo.

Work place review be like: "You don't get r***d here, 7/10."

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Work place review be like: "You don't get r***d here, 7/10."

Well that still makes it not as awful as Activision, but these allegations are still to be taken seriously.