By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo allegedly violates Workers rights to organise

Kneetos said:

More information here

https://www.nlrb.gov/case/19-CA-294207

Thanks for the link. I wonder if including the actual list of allegations in your OP might not be a good idea? The issue seems a bit more nuanced than just unionisation. 

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Oh so we talking unions.

Unions are useless as tits on a bull in modern society. They are more focused on taking people's membership money than actually helping people when it all get's too hard.

That depends on the country. One which has already have strong unions and now has good employment laws and protection for workers, sure. A country like the US though which has the kind of labour laws you'd expect to find in a 3rd world dictatorship... they're definitely needed!

cycycychris said:
abronn627 said:

There’s not much details, but this seems weird.
One worker filed a complaint for what seems to be unionization, but what’s the angle with hiring firm ?
I don’t get it…

The employee(s) of this complaint seems to be a contract employee from my understanding. In my experience with most contract work. Companies often let these staffing firms fill and manage these contracts. So for example, you might work at Nintendo offices every day, but officially speaking, you are a contract worker (under fix time period, ie. 1,2,3 years) who is officially employed by staffing firm. Nintendo pays staffing firm to pay you, you get no Nintendo benefits, only the shitty ones the staffing firm offers. It's a terrible gig for the employee. The worst part is that companies will often give these staffing firms like 70k for salaries of the position and the staffing firm will basically find the most desperate person they can and get them to take 40k or something like that. Then profit the rest, on top of the fees they charge.

So in conclusion, they are listing both since they probably officially work for staffing firm, but work at the Nintendo office and Nintendo bosses are there supervisors.

Sounds exactly like Japan, so I am not surprised Nintendo would use similar things in America.

I did a little more digging on what workers, current and former, are saying about the company.
DISCLAIMER: I am pretty new to this sort of thing so I apologise in advance if I am not using the most reliable sources.

The website glassdoor has nintendo of america at a pretty high 4.1/5 average stars with over 340 reviews as of the 11th April 2022

Indeed.com seems to have similar numbers, 4.1/5
Though with a lower review count of 190

There were a few more sites but they didn't have many reviews on them
While it seems that most workers enjoy or enjoyed their time at the company, 2 things stuck out to me while reading

It does seem that contract workers have it significantly worse off and there seems to not be a lot of opportunities for career growth within nintendo

There isn't enough information publicly available to reasonably conclude that Ninty has done anything wrong. Anybody can file a complaint.

Around the Network

No atrocity Ninty could commit on workers could beat having forced them to watch Reggie's shiny chin for years, if they got away with it, they're untouchable.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I hope Nintendo fires that wimp summarily.

JackHandy said:

At this point, I no longer have the energy enough to investigate things of this nature. It seems like there are two realities. The one online, and the one offline. And neither of them even resemble each other. One is uber critical, uber sensitive, uber offended, uber vigilant, ready to fight, ready to point out every tiny, minute, minuscule little bit of negativity that the world has to offer so they can yell about it endlessly... and the other just wants a job, a place to live and to raise their kids in peace.

At one time, in my younger days, I participated in the former. Now, I live with the latter.

It's better that way.

Interesting take, I suppose it sums up how I feel about these matters lately. I guess it naturally comes with age? Or maybe we just get tired? Sometimes I wish the world could be offline again, even if for a brief moment.

EnricoPallazzo said:
JackHandy said:

At this point, I no longer have the energy enough to investigate things of this nature. It seems like there are two realities. The one online, and the one offline. And neither of them even resemble each other. One is uber critical, uber sensitive, uber offended, uber vigilant, ready to fight, ready to point out every tiny, minute, minuscule little bit of negativity that the world has to offer so they can yell about it endlessly... and the other just wants a job, a place to live and to raise their kids in peace.

At one time, in my younger days, I participated in the former. Now, I live with the latter.

It's better that way.

Interesting take, I suppose it sums up how I feel about these matters lately. I guess it naturally comes with age? Or maybe we just get tired? Sometimes I wish the world could be offline again, even if for a brief moment.

What's the saying again.. If you're not idealistic when you're young, you have no heart. And if you're not practical by the time you mature, you have no brain. Something to that effect.

EnricoPallazzo said:
JackHandy said:

It's better that way.

I believe it's tied to aging, yes. But not in the way most would think. As we age, we begin to see how very un-black-and-white everything really is. We see that there is context in almost everything. We start noticing how biases, motivations and other subtleties play into how people behave, and when that happens, you will naturally come to the conclusion that the world is far too complex for snap-judgments... which then leads to the last understanding: unless you are extraordinarily famous and influential or powerful, you only have control over yourself, and any attempt at reaching beyond that is almost always going to be futile.

If you want to have an impact, just be the best person you can be and help others as much as you can offline.

Last edited by JackHandy - on 20 April 2022