By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR | Official GBA and GB Emulators Have Been Leaked & Playable On Nintendo Switch

Ljink96 said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

Now the question is if Nintendo will add value to the base Nintendo Switch Online subscription (at $20/year) - or continuing to stack up the NSO + Expansion Pack version (at $50/year) with GB/GBA titles.

I'd imagine that Gameboy and Gameboy Color are added to base NSO, GBA is only for Expansion Pack. 

Was just going to say this, seems like a reasonable expectation.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

Now the question is if Nintendo will add value to the base Nintendo Switch Online subscription (at $20/year) - or continuing to stack up the NSO + Expansion Pack version (at $50/year) with GB/GBA titles.

I'd imagine that Gameboy and Gameboy Color are added to base NSO, GBA is only for Expansion Pack. 

No way in hell. I'm 99% sure that Gameboy and all future systems added to NSO is going to be locked behing the Expansion Pack.

deerox said:
Ljink96 said:

No way in hell. I'm 99% sure that Gameboy and all future systems added to NSO is going to be locked behing the Expansion Pack.

Base NSO already has been slowing down in terms of incentive for users to keep subscribing. A subscription service has to keep you engaged. I would think Nintendo would do GB+GBC to keep users at least subscribed if they don't need it for online play. GBA is obviously more premium compared to GB so to drive that narrative they'll probably add it to the Expansion Pack. 

Cautiously happy about this. Yeah, the GBA has a ton of great games, but Nintendo's track record when it comes to which and how many games it makes available for NSO is just sad, so hopefully this is gonna be worth it. 

Jpcc86 said:

Cautiously happy about this. Yeah, the GBA has a ton of great games, but Nintendo's track record when it comes to which and how many games it makes available for NSO is just sad, so hopefully this is gonna be worth it. 

I think they have done a good job adding their first-party games to the NES & SNES online apps.

NES is only missing Startropics 2 and SNES is only missing Super Mario RPG.

N64 on the other hand, is missing quite a few. It's missing Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Excitebike 64, Pilotwings 64, Mario Party, Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, and all of the RARE games that isn't Banjo-Kazooie.

Around the Network
deerox said:
Jpcc86 said:

I think they have done a good job adding their first-party games to the NES & SNES online apps.

NES is only missing Startropics 2 and SNES is only missing Super Mario RPG.

N64 on the other hand, is missing quite a few. It's missing Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Excitebike 64, Pilotwings 64, Mario Party, Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, and all of the RARE games that isn't Banjo-Kazooie.

I think they should add the Famicom and Super Famicom Fire Emblem games to NSO in all regions and ideally also the Famicom Wars games. Translated of course.

But they won't.

If Astro Boy is on there, Nintendo Switch Online will actually be worth it.

Honestly... Wish I could just buy these as a collection rather than deal with another subscription service.

Though, good for those who are keen to play some older classics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

S.Peelman said:
Ljink96 said:

Was just going to say this, seems like a reasonable expectation.

I think different. I feel like Nintendo wants to drop the base NSO subscription completely or at least only run it as an legacy option. If 90%+ upgrade to the expansion pack, they get the additional subscription fees.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

That just makes me happier to have the Steam Deck. Retro gaming on the switch is just pathetic, to be quite honest. The few systems they have on their service don't get new games in what feels like an eternity and the current selection of titles leaves so much to desire. The fact alone that people get excited about tha addition of GB and GBA years after the inital launch speaks volumes about Nintendos total failure in this regard. And then you are expected to pay each and every month for that stuff. It's just sad.

They really had it going with Virtual Console. I will never understand why they just abandoned that. Sure, you could say they want dem sweet subcription moneyz. But I don't think anyone seriously stays on the service just because of the few retro titles anyway.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant. Don't get me wrong, I like my Switch, I even have multiple consoles and I pay for the base online subcription. But only because of cloud saving. Nintendo fucked up retro gaming on the system pretty good, you can't deny that. Seriously, how hard can it be to get a GB/GBA emulator working on the Switch?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.