By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What Underrated Series Do You Think Should Be More Popular?

Tales of the world Radient Mythology
While the "tales of" franchise as a whole is in a bery good place, I would like to see a return to the "world" spinoff
I really loved 1, and even learned Japanese to play 3, and that one is even better.

Old school bomberman
Because konami is konami, and konami is the worst, bomberman has more or less fallen away in recent years, my favorite game was tournament on the gameboy, followed by party on PS1, and after seeing a speedrun of bomberman 64 reminded me how much I just adore the series.

Magical starsign/vacation
A pretty obscure JRPG, the original was only released in japan, with its sequel coming west on the DS.
Starsign is the oldest game I still own and is just charming.

Pokemon mystery dungeon
This I know is a weird one pokemon is always popular I know, but I find the PMD fanbase, while big, only really crawls out of the ground whenever a new game is announced.
I would also like a better game, rescue team were a good first attempt, explorers was almost perfect imo, we don't talk about gates, super was ok, recue team DX, could have been better

Star wars force unleashed
While the game itself was ok, I would like to see more star wars games that played like it.
The ps360 versions felt so satisfying to me and I'm sad that it's the sub par wii version that is getting ported.

Honourable mentions to

Xenogears and Xenosaga

Digimon

Mod nation racers

Rune factory

Last edited by Kneetos - on 17 April 2022

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

Advance Wars: no ports... new game please.

We would've had a new this month, but a certain fascist empire fucked things up and now it may very well be cancelled. -_-

Still say Donkey Kong as a whole should be more popular. It's named after the first mega hit Nintendo had in the West, yet all they've given it this decade so far is a theme park that won't even be open till 2024.

Xenoblade Chronicles

I know that it has already get a solid fanbase, but I really feel that it should have more sells and more acknowledging.

I am really tired of classic and plain J-RPG like Final Fantasy, Dragon quest, Shin megami tensei, etc...

PaulPortland said:

Xenoblade Chronicles

I know that it has already get a solid fanbase, but I really feel that it should have more sells and more acknowledging.

I am really tired of classic and plain J-RPG like Final Fantasy, Dragon quest, Shin megami tensei, etc...

Same, especially since Final Fantasy has become a lot less Fantasy these days.

ireadtabloids said:

I think Skies of Arcadia should be more popular. Just popular enough to earn a re-release on modern systems.

Skies of Arcadia is, to this day, one of my all time favourite RPGs. Part of the issue is the game got pirated into dust. But I hope this one shows up on the EShop one day, maybe a nice HD remaster. The random encounter system might be an issue for most people, as it’d be painful for people who aren’t used to it in 3D RPGs. But, this is one of those RPGs I feel could have been more than just a cult classic. I feel Sega fucked up, hard, when they cancelled the PS2 port and left it to die on GameCube with no path to major success. At the very least, they should have saved it for the Wii and followed that wave of success.

drbunnig said:

Hotel Dusk / Last Window

Two great games with interesting characters, good dialogue and engrossing stories, but sold around 500k / 200k respectively on the DS if this site is accurate.

These, ones along with the Ace Attorney games, were among my favourite DS games. It’s not that the games themselves underperformed, but that the genre just isn’t big enough. It has a lot of really strong fans, but most people won’t touch these games - the genre has a hard time reaching out.

Another I’d add is Elite Beat Agents. That one was loads of fun. A mix of story and a fun rhythm game.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 17 April 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Metroid, always critically acclaimed save for a few stinkers here and there, always recognized for a lot of good things and never sells above 3 million, kirby somewhat it doesn't seel bad but it always rounds to Metroid like numbers, except it has a LOT more games than metroid, someone would expect that a franchise with such a mascot would have seen some better sellers here and there,mmm, let's see i would say no more heroes it's true that they are M-rated games that came first to a "family friendly" console, that they aren't the best of the best and they weren't some big budget overblown productions, but they took forever to sold like a few hundred thousands even when re-releasing in other platforms, but maybe thery are just too niche,

I also agree with the choices of Salnax, Ace Attorney is freaking brilliant and despite having a good amount of games re-releasing several times it hasn't reached 10 million, the Prof. Layton series basically doubles Ace Attorney despite having less games and most of them on DS and 3DS, Bayonetta, same for this, someone would expect that a game about a hypersexualized heroine would be just a tiny bit more succesfull if due to all the noise some people make about her, Shin Megami Tensei games that aren't Persona should get more recognizion, they have been there since PS1 and PS2 days giving more variety to the catalog.

I would add Wario games both Land/world(and nintendo really should launch a new one) and Ware series, it's true that they are more experimental that other franchises, but that's their charm and i love them for that and all the humor, if mainstream consumers weren't just onto the same franchises time and time again, they would see that there are a lot of tinier games that are as if not more entertaining that some of the big budget games, or in the case of wario ware series that some cheap mobile knockoffs.

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 18 April 2022

CaptainExplosion said:
PaulPortland said:

Xenoblade Chronicles

Being less fantasy isn't really an issue. Being less good is the problem

Ka-pi96 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Being less fantasy isn't really an issue. Being less good is the problem

*points to Final Fantasy 13, the one with that bitchy Mary Sue Lightning*

Might as well put Banjo-Kazooie in this thread as well, especially after Microsoft fucked it over in 2008.

Max Payne - Some of the best TPS, heck shooters out there. Sadly, the series post the first game has under performed.. with 2 and 3 under selling and not met expectations for Publishers/devs. Here's hoping people will see and appreciate these masterpieces in the remakes, this time round.

Overall Series' Sales Figures according to VGChartz-
(I know some figures may be outdated).

Metroid 16.64m
Castlevania 21.63m
Tales of 25.5m
Devil May Cry 25m
Lemmings 20m
Spyro the Dragon 20m
Bomberman 12m
Fire Emblem 11.74m
Kirby 41.13m
Xeno 6.49m
Pikmin 6.03m
Dead Space 6m
Okami 3.60m
Ni No Kuni 2.83m
Bayonetta 2.42m
Amnesia 1.58m
Yooka Laylee 1m?
Z-Zero N/A???
Silent Hill 9m
Starfox 10.27
Klonoa ?m
Metro 12.20m
Wario 12.13m (Warioware in particular)
Sonic the Hedgehog 76.64m
(I saved Sonic for last. I don't know if these are the complete sales figures for the series. I will feel stupid (like I was born under a bridge in some weird novel than didn't sell very well and the book stores had to round-up all the copies where a dirty old bearded guy with a glass eye and a hunched-back took them away in a dark forest... and then a deeper lagoon... and beyond, then chucked them into the dirtiest river around where it fell on someone fishing who just happened to be of royal blood and the books where than banished from the kingdom and fired into the exact scientifically-measured centre of the sun encase it orbited it first before drifting in) if these sales figures are untrue and Sonic may have actually sold more than I thought and just would rather type this all out and make a fool of myself instead of quick google search. I accept that a lot of the 3D Sonic games haven't been too good to justify it in the list (but there are a lot of good Sonic games despite certain titles) and also its a series that is already popular (obviously) but due to Sonic's history and popularity, I feel the sales figures should be higher than 76.64m).

Edit-

I forgot about Donkey Kong 65m. I didn't know if I should put DK in the list as there are only 5 DK country games and 65m is still really good but (like Sonic) due to DKs history and popularity I think DK should be a little bit higher than 65m, something like 90m or at least 100m.

Last edited by 00Xander00 - on 18 April 2022

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX-81, Commidore 64, Amega, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10 & PSVR. Plus, I will be getting the New Nintendo Switch sometime in 2019 :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Nes, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.