By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 56 53.85%

No 44 42.31%

Undecided 4 3.85%

Total:104

Free speech means tolerating offensive garbage. People are stupid and will say stupid things. There is no such thing as intelligent free speech.

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

Come up with some better quality content instead of parroting others. They weren't assumptions, they were statements.

Create better content? Is this YouTube or a chat forum? I'm not getting paid.

No. And it doesn't need to be. No excuses for mediocrity unless you have no actual desire to engage or an argument.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

That is a false equivalency.

Building foundations for equality and equity in every facet of society does not mean that highly intelligent, high achieving individuals are at a disadvantage.

The issue that you don't seem to grasp is that, when someone is LGBTQI or have a different cultural/ethnic background, can be denied equivalent roles or opportunities, even when they have the same level of intellectual fortitude and would hypothetical be capable of the same achievements.

You likely have never been on the receiving end of this, but it actually does happen and still does happen.

Hating white people and being racist towards them because you say they have an advantage is acceptable, but hating higher IQ people and also trying to tear them down due to that advantage isn't acceptable? Should hate towards rich smart people be stopped at all costs?

You mean like the time I didn't get the job because they chose the bosses sons idiot white friend instead? So we should put a stop to some racism but not favoritism? No big deal though right? I'm sure you'll assume I just went back home to my castle and lounged in the Olympic sized pool all day.

That isn't what I have said at all, do not put words in my mouth or re-read my statement and try to comprehend it in it's appropriate context.
But I'll try and dumb it down some more and reword it to try and make it a little more palatable.

My issue is that race should not come into it, but it does... And those of different ethnic/cultural backgrounds or sexuality/gender are disadvantaged.. Even when they have the same or better I.Q. than the comparative white, straight, male and are capable of the same potential achievements.
Thus the need for building the foundations of equality and equity so that they have the same opportunities to succeed.

It's not about hate, it's not about jealousy, it is about enabling people with similar potential to succeed in life, rather than holding someone back simply because they are born gay.

The fact you got passed over may have been for another reason, perhaps you didn't have the right attitude? I have been passed over on job roles before simply because I was over-qualified.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

Stop trolling.

I wasn't. I made a good joke, and I used another point you made earlier about aspects to strengthen my point. You didn't say anything about lacking content this time though which makes me wonder if you even got the point.

A joke is actually funny.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

Are you really trying to justify people working and not being paid for it? I think you aren't grasping something here.

I am managing a company, I know how these things actually work... You have what is called a "Probation Period". - Usually a company will hire you as a casual or permanent employee, but for the Probation Period (Usually 3-6 months) you can be fired at the drop of the hat for any number of reasons.

Casual employees can just have their hours cut down to 0 even 12 months down the line, they are casual and don't have guaranteed hours.

If you walk into a company and are employed by the company, even if you are just doing training or a few trial shifts, you are taking someones time... And they need to be paid for it.

Apprenticeships and Internships are also paid here, because it's the right thing to do. - They start off at a lower wage, but as they invest more of their time and their skills improve, their rate of pay increases rather substantially. As it should.

End of the day people need to eat and pay bills, the only way that happens is if you actually pay them for it. Clearly the American way is inferior to the working class.

Some people think the minimum wage isn't enough. Is the minimum wage acceptable? Was it before it was raised? Will it be after it's raised again? What if people are willing to work for that now, knowing they'll be better off later because of it? That's the same concept with unpaid positions, simply with a greater degree of delayed gratification.

If that person happens to be white, they live like a king or queen anyway so what would the oppressive wait for pay even matter?

If you work, you need to get paid for it, otherwise you are being taken advantage of.

And as a white male, I can assure you... I live like a king. But I worked hard to get where I am to earn this income, but I also got paid for it the entire time, even while I was working whilst at school.

The fact you are even arguing for people to bend-the-knee to unpaid work is just baffling, you do know companies can afford to hire people, right? We have a payroll.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

I doubt Trump was ever actually poor.
I.E. Living on the streets with just the clothes on his back.

Do I dare assume you've never had to deal with that either? Does that put you and Trump in the same camp? 

You shouldn't make any assumptions without evidence.

You do realise I was homeless as a child? Also a high-school drop out. - My parents were extremely abusive.

Now 24~ years later, I own houses, managing a company, save lives, earn more than they do collectively and have succeeded in life... And still haven't talked to them since I was a kid. Who needs parents?

So if you assume I was given every opportunity under the sun, you would be highly mistaken.
Unfortunately the same avenues I was presented in life to succeed is not always available to those of different genders and ethnic backgrounds, certainly not in the 90's, it's far better today, but still not perfect.

And unlike Trump, I actually value life and the environment.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

You are right, Twitter didn't sit down and give those individuals that opportunity and that was clearly a fault of Twitter.

Still, being a hypocrite is not a good thing. - Clearly even yourself can recognize that?

You're right, being hypocritical isn't a good thing, but when powerful people and businesses are doing that to great success and getting away with it while hurting others, then it's fair game for everyone to play that game if they choose to.

It's not like people haven't been trying to do the right thing for a while now. Even Elon tried and was getting nowhere. So he decided to take a leap for mankind by purchasing Twitter and now throwing it back in their faces.

Not everyone learns the easy way. You no doubt must understand that doing what you do.

It is only fair game because the people allow it.

Twitter is faltering currently, it will be interesting to see how it goes long term, may just become the next myspace.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

So basically you only believe polls you agree with?

Conservatives in general agree with polls that look to make sense based on how they were conducted and how the data is presented.

Some did buy into the red wave cool aid which was relatively obvious wasn't going to happen long before the election. When the media who's always against you is agreeing they're about to get crushed by you, it should set off alarms that something ain't right.

Well, that is a good way to reinforce a confirmation bias.

The media issue is an entirely different kettle of fish, it's very black and white in the USA with nothing in between.

Over here it's all right-wing conservative rubbish that plays on the politics of fear to garner clicks and revenue.

ConservagameR said:
Pemalite said:

You seem to be confused, so I will dumb it down further. What people do, doesn't concern me.

What does concern me is people being marginalized or mistreated, remember I am a first responder, life comes first, I have morals.

What those people do, who you're responding to, certainly does.

Lots of people have morals. Your morals don't outweigh someone else's ability to offer or choose.

If someone chooses to drive irresponsibly and goes off a cliff, were they wrong to do so? Are they immoral? Are you going to save them anyway, knowing full well they vary well may do it or something else irresponsible again later?

If someone wants to offer an unpaid position and someone else willingly chooses to accept it, knowing it'll likely lead to a stable paid position or even just the knowledge and skills that will get them where they want to go eventually, that's unacceptable?

I will try and frame it a different way... Because it seems it went over your head again.

How someone got into a predicament is irrellevent, it's how that person is coping, how that person is feeling that matters.

I.E. I don't care if someone was speeding and wrapped themselves around a telephone pole, I do care about getting that person out and into the ambulance by using the jaws of life.

In short, what they did to get there is irrelevant. But what happens after while they suffer is definitely drawing on my empathy.

Yes if someone takes an unpaid position in hopes it might result in something down the line is just false hope.
That just opens up the potential for businesses to abuse the ability to use free labor for menial tasks.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
ConservagameR said:

No. And it doesn't need to be. No excuses for mediocrity unless you have no actual desire to engage or an argument.

Last time you thought I was arguing I had only made a statement. The only argument would've been on your part, not mine.

Now is that mediocracy on your part or just a simple mistake? 

That isn't what I have said at all, do not put words in my mouth or re-read my statement and try to comprehend it in it's appropriate context.
But I'll try and dumb it down some more and reword it to try and make it a little more palatable.

My issue is that race should not come into it, but it does... And those of different ethnic/cultural backgrounds or sexuality/gender are disadvantaged.. Even when they have the same or better I.Q. than the comparative white, straight, male and are capable of the same potential achievements.
Thus the need for building the foundations of equality and equity so that they have the same opportunities to succeed.

It's not about hate, it's not about jealousy, it is about enabling people with similar potential to succeed in life, rather than holding someone back simply because they are born gay.

The fact you got passed over may have been for another reason, perhaps you didn't have the right attitude? I have been passed over on job roles before simply because I was over-qualified.

The fact you went right to assuming it must be for another reason about me personally, and not due to me being oppressed or a victim to an unfair system, tells me you're not really after what's best as you say, just what's best for you.

The fact that I figured you'd assume the worst against me, as I said prior, which you did, makes me question your genuine desire in this engagement.

A joke is actually funny.

Well if you didn't get it, which you certainly didn't seem to as I questioned prior, you wouldn't think its funny.

If you work, you need to get paid for it, otherwise you are being taken advantage of.

And as a white male, I can assure you... I live like a king. But I worked hard to get where I am to earn this income, but I also got paid for it the entire time, even while I was working whilst at school.

The fact you are even arguing for people to bend-the-knee to unpaid work is just baffling, you do know companies can afford to hire people, right? We have a payroll.

So as a rich white male, who realizes they are where they are due to natural advantages, why haven't you given up enough wealth to the needy so you live like an average individual instead of a king?

How little can someone be paid before it's unacceptable? How long before anyone needs a raise?

The fact that you don't seem to want variety or the ability to choose to be an option is quite concerning. Not everyone is the same.

You shouldn't make any assumptions without evidence.

You do realise I was homeless as a child? Also a high-school drop out. - My parents were extremely abusive.

Now 24~ years later, I own houses, managing a company, save lives, earn more than they do collectively and have succeeded in life... And still haven't talked to them since I was a kid. Who needs parents?

So if you assume I was given every opportunity under the sun, you would be highly mistaken.
Unfortunately the same avenues I was presented in life to succeed is not always available to those of different genders and ethnic backgrounds, certainly not in the 90's, it's far better today, but still not perfect.

And unlike Trump, I actually value life and the environment.

You made assumptions about me earlier so I figured that meant it might be acceptable. Did something change?

Then we share one of those in common. I never dropped out of high school though. I couldn't and wouldn't have anyway because failure wasn't seen as an option, so I could get out on my own asap without ending up flipping burgers or ending up on the street.

What about those still worthy who are passed on because someone of a less fortunate past are given the opportunity? What if it leads to them ending up on the street? Isn't that just restarting the cycle? What if a higher IQ person gets passed up in the same fashion who's a late bloomer intellectually, who truly could change the world on a grand scale for the better, but doesn't get the chance because someone less fortunate was given the opportunity?

We were constantly told it would take 2 to 4 years for a vaccine to be ready, even by those at the top, yet Trumps warp speed got it done in less than a year. He also allowed for the many shutdown's which we were all told, even by those at the top, did wonders for the environment. I'd hardly say he doesn't care about life or the environment.

It is only fair game because the people allow it.

Twitter is faltering currently, it will be interesting to see how it goes long term, may just become the next myspace.

Rule's for thee but not for me isn't something people will accept. Those who wish to play that game will have many others join eventually, even if they're not invited to.

Twitter users are way up. Advertisers are being flaky but what's new? Apple is pushing Elon's buttons and he's been talking about making a smartphone for years now, and it's looking like the perfect opportunity for that to occur just may come to pass. Which also means Google will quite likely follow suit, so even more reason for Elon to get into the smartphone industry. He didn't spend $50 billion to watch it fly away.

Well, that is a good way to reinforce a confirmation bias.

The media issue is an entirely different kettle of fish, it's very black and white in the USA with nothing in between.

Over here it's all right-wing conservative rubbish that plays on the politics of fear to garner clicks and revenue.

What about poorly done science? Also confirmation bias?

Sky News is Aussie go to media?

I will try and frame it a different way... Because it seems it went over your head again.

How someone got into a predicament is irrellevent, it's how that person is coping, how that person is feeling that matters.

I.E. I don't care if someone was speeding and wrapped themselves around a telephone pole, I do care about getting that person out and into the ambulance by using the jaws of life.

In short, what they did to get there is irrelevant. But what happens after while they suffer is definitely drawing on my empathy.

Yes if someone takes an unpaid position in hopes it might result in something down the line is just false hope.
That just opens up the potential for businesses to abuse the ability to use free labor for menial tasks.

So someone needs help, and you help them regardless. Even if they refuse help I believe, correct? You still help anyway?

If someone needs help, like a job position and skills, but you can't pay now but could potentially later, what's wrong with offering what help you can? 

Does everyone you save end up as well off, if not better than before their incident? The point is you did what you could and that's what matters. Similar with offering someone a job position. Some will end up better off, some may not. It's not up to us to decide, it's up to us to help where and how we can.

It's the ability to choose and that potential, that gets people in the situations where you have to save them. Should we put a stop to all those potentials?

ConservagameR said:

So as a rich white male, who realizes they are where they are due to natural advantages, why haven't you given up enough wealth to the needy so you live like an average individual instead of a king?

How little can someone be paid before it's unacceptable? How long before anyone needs a raise?

The fact that you don't seem to want variety or the ability to choose to be an option is quite concerning. Not everyone is the same.

The bolded part I am going to call it out as pure BS statement.  It first shows that you have no clue on the context of the discussion since none of the arguments presented stated that Pemalite, through his hard work to attain his level of comfort does not apply the same standards to anyone else.  It also suggests a pure lack of understanding of the context of the discussion as stating an equality for a level playing field for all so they can achieve their goals.  It's the kind of statement that says I am not listening but throwing crap at the wall just to make a reply.

For your second sentence, why don't you tell us what is acceptable to you for your time and effort for a job.  How long would you work hard before you feel you need a raise. Why don't you answer those questions first so we get a base line of what you feel concerning those questions then others can share what their baseline is.

padib said:

Kanye West is back on twitter. But was he really an antisemite in the first place, or is he just threatening to expose a corrupt covert elite?

Bold - Yes.

Fuck this POS.

Around the Network

Kanye West has what it takes to become Trump's legitimate political successor. It wouldn't surprise me if West entered the race to become POTUS in the 2030s.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Elon Musk’s version of free speech is like a dystopian dumpster fire version of a social media.

Crypto scams, hate speech, lies, and fake identities. Also, pinching users for subscription fees, and banning people who satirize or criticize Elon Musk.

But how long can it last? Elon is like a child who needs a nap, spewing tantrums against his major business partners who don’t like the idea of anti-Semitism and the spoofing of their Twitter accounts to trick customers and shareholders.

The best thing that came out of this whole thing is a compelling argument against the idea that wealth=competence. It’s not a new idea, as enlightenment writers, two hundred years ango, often criticized the idea of wealth and titles equaling competence. It seems society has to learn these basic lessons all over again—even though it’s blatantly obvious to the majority of people.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 01 December 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Machiavellian said:
ConservagameR said:

The bolded part I am going to call it out as pure BS statement.  It first shows that you have no clue on the context of the discussion since none of the arguments presented stated that Pemalite, through his hard work to attain his level of comfort does not apply the same standards to anyone else.  It also suggests a pure lack of understanding of the context of the discussion as stating an equality for a level playing field for all so they can achieve their goals.  It's the kind of statement that says I am not listening but throwing crap at the wall just to make a reply.

For your second sentence, why don't you tell us what is acceptable to you for your time and effort for a job.  How long would you work hard before you feel you need a raise. Why don't you answer those questions first so we get a base line of what you feel concerning those questions then others can share what their baseline is.

"What I am finding to be an issue is that, yes free speech is important... But not if it comes at the expense of being ethical towards other people."

"There is no room for bigotry, fake information, hate speech, homophobia, sexism, racism and more, period. Real life or online."
"It's called being respectful."

This was the start of the conversation (above). Multiple times he's assumed the worst about me. Is that ethical? Is that respectful?

He made it clear that white people have an advantage which is a problem. He made it clear being rich was a bad thing. He made it clear that equality and equity are vital to a solid foundation. Yet to highly achieve would be, to be better or higher on a scale, to some degree, like wealth, than someone else.

How much more can someone achieve over others before it's a problem? How much wealthier can that someone end up before it's a problem? When is good enough, good enough, for anyone?

You can't then brag about being a high achieving rich white male and have someone honestly believe you're being genuine in this case. Even if you came from nothing on the street, you can't then take more than others or you're just becoming part of the problem. The only justification I could see being somewhat understandable would be if you were using all that extra power and wealth to specifically help those being highly oppressed. Doing good things for other people in this case, but reaping most of the rewards so you live like a king, isn't justified with those stated morals.

"In short, the guy is your typical hypocrite, they exist on the left and right side of the political spectrum."

As I pointed out to them, hypocrisy will soon be the norm for the majority. We're all guilty at times even if we're unaware of it. Hiding or running from it is just another addition to the problem, while practicing what you preach and accepting it is much easier said than done. Either that or make well thought out adjustments or changes to your morals to create a stronger foundation.

Why would you ask this if you've read through the conversation and understand the context as mentioned in your first point?

I've made it clear I'm open to options. Immediate pay or temporarily unpaid. It doesn't matter to me if I'm likely going to get what I want in the end and can make it work. If I'm unlikely to get it, or can't make it work, then I'm not doing it.

He made it clear that unpaid work is unacceptable, period.

Both baselines were already available. One of us is flexible and the other isn't in this case, so what do you hope to achieve here?

ConservagameR said:
Machiavellian said:

"What I am finding to be an issue is that, yes free speech is important... But not if it comes at the expense of being ethical towards other people."

"There is no room for bigotry, fake information, hate speech, homophobia, sexism, racism and more, period. Real life or online."
"It's called being respectful."

This was the start of the conversation (above). Multiple times he's assumed the worst about me. Is that ethical? Is that respectful?

He made it clear that white people have an advantage which is a problem. He made it clear being rich was a bad thing. He made it clear that equality and equity are vital to a solid foundation. Yet to highly achieve would be, to be better or higher on a scale, to some degree, like wealth, than someone else.

How much more can someone achieve over others before it's a problem? How much wealthier can that someone end up before it's a problem? When is good enough, good enough, for anyone?

You can't then brag about being a high achieving rich white male and have someone honestly believe you're being genuine in this case. Even if you came from nothing on the street, you can't then take more than others or you're just becoming part of the problem. The only justification I could see being somewhat understandable would be if you were using all that extra power and wealth to specifically help those being highly oppressed. Doing good things for other people in this case, but reaping most of the rewards so you live like a king, isn't justified with those stated morals.

"In short, the guy is your typical hypocrite, they exist on the left and right side of the political spectrum."

As I pointed out to them, hypocrisy will soon be the norm for the majority. We're all guilty at times even if we're unaware of it. Hiding or running from it is just another addition to the problem, while practicing what you preach and accepting it is much easier said than done. Either that or make well thought out adjustments or changes to your morals to create a stronger foundation.

Why would you ask this if you've read through the conversation and understand the context as mentioned in your first point?

I've made it clear I'm open to options. Immediate pay or temporarily unpaid. It doesn't matter to me if I'm likely going to get what I want in the end and can make it work. If I'm unlikely to get it, or can't make it work, then I'm not doing it.

He made it clear that unpaid work is unacceptable, period.

Both baselines were already available. One of us is flexible and the other isn't in this case, so what do you hope to achieve here?

I asked you to answer your own question because you threw out a bunch of questions without any context to your position.  This usually boarder on sea-lioning so wanted you to actually state your position on the subject instead of asking a bunch of questions as you have done again in your reply.  This is the first time I have seen you actually make a declaration on your position instead of the appearance of you just throwing out stuff as a counter to an argument.

Also your position does not mean you are more flexible instead it just means you are willing to take more risk.  To work for free on a promise of getting paid is just the amount of risk you are willing to accept.  The thing is, there are a lot of people who do not have the flexibility to actually choose.  You present your position where you have a choice but there are many who are placed in those situations where there is no choice it either do as the employer says or find yourself out of a job. This is why we have labor laws because of the exploitation employers have used over the years.

What I hope to achieve is for you to stop with the bolded part.  This tactic as I mentioned gives a sea-lioning feeling to your arguments instead of just putting your arguments into a declaration of what YOU actually believe.

zero129 said:

1. I am hoping how you can inform me how one bad thing (Black slavery) Makes another less bad (The irish famine) as they where both caused by people in power not the general populous. But that in no way makes one less bad than the other and once again i am insulted by your narrow view point on this subject. If all them Irish was black would it fit what your saying then? As if the colour of skin means anything when bad things happen?.

2. That point means nothing to me as the irish here build our own things. It also means nothing if i lived in america as i should not feel guilty for something that happened years ago. Otherwise how long is this guilt trip going to go on?. and also Africans was not the only slaves in history. If you follow history you would know Africans had slaves themself well before the USA. They had European slaves from the coasts in the pirate raids. Slavery is nothing new it was part of history and imo thats where it should be left as looking back will bring no one forward only make more divide.

3. Thats good for you. If you can let me know when my benefits a due ill be happy but for now i see none. Once again this is painting everyone with the same brush. If you feel guilty for being white thats on you but me i dont as i know we didnt do anything or dont benefit in anyway.

What guilt trip?