By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 13, 2022 - (21st Mar - 27th Mar)

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Playstation has quite a few titles on the Famitsu charts right now, but the only one I'd describe as "not a flop" is Elden Ring, and that is because the game is doing extremely well everywhere. In fact, I'd say that's the only Playstation title that hasn't flopped all year. GT7, I believe, has probably exceeded some people's expectations, but that is because our expectations for the Gran Turismo franchise are pretty low in general. This used to be Playstation's flagship title at one point. Everything else is falling off the charts quickly and often debuting low too.

I would not be surprised if in a month or so we see some 29/30 weeks where Elden Ring is the only Playstation title on the chart.

GT7 is certainly not a flop. There's whole spectrum between success and failure and flop is somewhere at the bottom towards failure lol. Sure it was a much bigger franchise 12 years ago, but that's well over a decade now. New baselines and expectations are established. It'd be like calling the Wii a flop because it only managed half of SNES numbers in Japan

GT1 sold over 2m in Japan.  GT2-4 each sold over 1m.  The PS4 SKU of GT7 is now at 100k, and it's never going to get anywhere close to 1m.  It was a once mighty franchise, that now is really a non-factor in the Japanese market.  I'd call it a flop, in the sense that it's not really meant to be relevant in Japan anymore while it used to be a huge franchise.

Around the Network

Switch just has so many evergreens at this point (with Kirby almost certain to join the ranks) that it's hard for PS games to stick around long after their initial release.

There are several Switch games from 2017 and 2018 still on the charts, while it's becoming rare for a PS game to last more than a few weeks.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 April 2022

Switch sales are down compared to last year, but with all the games coming later this year, I do expect the total sales for this year in Japan to be somewhere around 5M

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Otter said:

GT7 is certainly not a flop. There's whole spectrum between success and failure and flop is somewhere at the bottom towards failure lol. Sure it was a much bigger franchise 12 years ago, but that's well over a decade now. New baselines and expectations are established. It'd be like calling the Wii a flop because it only managed half of SNES numbers in Japan

GT1 sold over 2m in Japan.  GT2-4 each sold over 1m.  The PS4 SKU of GT7 is now at 100k, and it's never going to get anywhere close to 1m.  It was a once mighty franchise, that now is really a non-factor in the Japanese market.  I'd call it a flop, in the sense that it's not really meant to be relevant in Japan anymore while it used to be a huge franchise.

It opened with 137k across both platforms, I'm not sure why we'd ignore PS5 especially since the PS4's age means we'd expect lower engagement & lack of PS5 units in Japan mean a limited audience so early in its life. Irrelevant games do not open to 137k. Maybe that could be a big underperformance for the franchise but all fingers point towards it easily outperforming GT Sports including digital which is data we'll never get for Japan. Elsewhere like the UK, digital accounted for 57% of sales, would be nice to have some light shed on current digital performances in Japan in 2022 but we'll have to go without... The game none the less has a high sell through. To call an individual product a flop, it has to be contextualised within a contemporary context and expectations, otherwise again we'd be here calling the Wii a flop because it didn't get close to the 20m NES/SNES managed in Japan. 

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It opened with 137k across both platforms, I'm not sure why we'd ignore PS5 especially since the PS4's age means we'd expect lower engagement & lack of PS5 units in Japan mean a limited audience so early in its life. Irrelevant games do not open to 137k. Maybe that could be a big underperformance for the franchise but all fingers point towards it easily outperforming GT Sports including digital which is data we'll never get for Japan. Elsewhere like the UK, digital accounted for 57% of sales, would be nice to have some light shed on current digital performances in Japan in 2022 but we'll have to go without... The game none the less has a high sell through. To call an individual product a flop, it has to be contextualised within a contemporary context and expectations, otherwise again we'd be here calling the Wii a flop because it didn't get close to the 20m NES/SNES managed in Japan. 

We are comparing software sales, not hardware sales. Nintendo games still sell very well, but Sony games don't.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

We are comparing software sales, not hardware sales. Nintendo games still sell very well, but Sony games don't.

Software sales and Hardware do not operate in different logic in regards to this topic (What is considered a flop). Saying GT7 is a flop because it didn't meet the sales heights of franchise 15 years ago doesn't make any sense. We're not in 2005 anymore for that to be the expectations or meassurements of success/flopping. 

A software comparison if you would like would be  Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain. It's way past the franchises peak back in the DS days after the initial decline seen during the 3DS' life, The new entry on Switch isn't seen as a flop because expectations adjust to what the franchise baseline is and in insolation its sales are very solid. GT7 will end the year in Famistu's top 20 selling games. 

Last edited by Otter - on 05 April 2022

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

GT Sport is a spin-off, not mainline.

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

thats some proper BS it would have been the only GT the ps4 would have had

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Agente42 said:

try again, Gran Turismo 7 is on PS4. So...

Agente42 said:
kirby007 said:

try again, Gran Turismo 7 is on PS4. So...

DUH thats what i implied but only because the userbase for the PS5 wasn't big enough

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.