By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Switch tech talk

CaptainExplosion said:

Well, regardless of tech specs, Switch 2 damn well better bring back Virtual Console. If not, then Nintendo should make it so that Switch Online Subscriptions can be carried over to the new system. Wishful thinking on my part, since Nintendo seems to lack understanding what we want these days.

God no to the VC. The membership model is so much better. And why would you think the subscription wouldn't carry over? That seems like such a strange thought to have. The whole point is that it is a subscription account and not tied to a single system like VC was, so no need for them to rebuild the online system every generation and no need for you to re-buy stuff every generation. The point of a subscription model is that once you are subscribed you don't have to do anything and the subscription keeps going and the content is always available.

This reminds me of the people who thought it would never offer more than NES games after it came out. I don't get why people are missing the whole point of the subscription model. Nintendo is building out a single subscription to their older content so you have one cheap subscription and you get all their old content (plus online services for the current system) as long as you subscribe.

It's not wishful thinking for you to want that, it is common sense, I don't get why you would even think it would be otherwise.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well, regardless of tech specs, Switch 2 damn well better bring back Virtual Console. If not, then Nintendo should make it so that Switch Online Subscriptions can be carried over to the new system. Wishful thinking on my part, since Nintendo seems to lack understanding what we want these days.

God no to the VC. The membership model is so much better. And why would you think the subscription wouldn't carry over? That seems like such a strange thought to have. The whole point is that it is a subscription account and not tied to a single system like VC was, so no need for them to rebuild the online system every generation and no need for you to re-buy stuff every generation. The point of a subscription model is that once you are subscribed you don't have to do anything and the subscription keeps going and the content is always available.

This reminds me of the people who thought it would never offer more than NES games after it came out. I don't get why people are missing the whole point of the subscription model. Nintendo is building out a single subscription to their older content so you have one cheap subscription and you get all their old content (plus online services for the current system) as long as you subscribe.

It's not wishful thinking for you to want that, it is common sense, I don't get why you would even think it would be otherwise.

I suspect many think, not me, that the subscription service won't be there day 1 with Switch 2, but will rather be slowly rebuilt over time, because emulating on another device isn't as easy as copy/paste. For instance, they will have different screen dimensions or perhaps other technologies that enhance the back catalog experience that requires the code for each game to be updated, etc.

I agree with you, personally, but I think many are skeptical.

Cobretti2 said:

Well according to Wiki, if people are leaning towards Orin NX (the compact version of the main Orin chip), it has the following as default

1024:8:32 (8, 1, 4)
Shader Processors : Ray tracing cores : Tensor Cores (SM count, GPCs, TPCs)

The full model has:
2048:16:64 (16, 2, 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Orin

What I read was that the Jetson Orin NX chipsets aren't actually smaller at all. They're full fat Orin chips with certain elements deactivated. So, this isn't necessarily going to be the exact chipset they are working with. It will be more customized in that regard. 

Dulfite said:

If Orin NX, I am amused that they'd go with that for Switch 2 considering Switch 1's codename was NX back in the day.

Nvidia has used NX for multiple product lines. It seems that this is the codename Nvidia uses for Jetson product launches. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, unless Xavier really was originally slated to be in a Switch Pro. 

Doctor_MG said:
Cobretti2 said:

Well according to Wiki, if people are leaning towards Orin NX (the compact version of the main Orin chip), it has the following as default

The full model has:

What I read was that the Jetson Orin NX chipsets aren't actually smaller at all. They're full fat Orin chips with certain elements deactivated. So, this isn't necessarily going to be the exact chipset they are working with. It will be more customized in that regard. 

hmm interesting. its a pretty big performance range between the two, wonder what customisations Nintendo will do and wonder if they will target 10W or 15W.

I also wonder how battery tech and cooling tech has improved, as I haven't really kept up with the evolution in that space. I guess this will play a part in whether it is 10W or 15W

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Dulfite said:

If Orin NX, I am amused that they'd go with that for Switch 2 considering Switch 1's codename was NX back in the day.

Nvidia has used NX for multiple product lines. It seems that this is the codename Nvidia uses for Jetson product launches. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, unless Xavier really was originally slated to be in a Switch Pro. 

Yeah, I hear ya, but what @Dulfite said is an intriguing coincidence in the very least. It amuses me as well.

Personally, I think the Switch 2 will not come out before 2025 and I hope it will be based on Nvidia Atlan

Fight-the-Streets said:

Personally, I think the Switch 2 will not come out before 2025 and I hope it will be based on Nvidia Atlan

Well there is no need for a successor atm, but who knows what Nintendo is thinking, samples of Atlan will be ready in 2023, so that may play a part in the decision. 

Also, I am struggling to buy a PS5 so there is still shortages on those and it hasn't sold that many units, so no need for Nintendo to rush.

Doctor_MG said:
Cobretti2 said:

The full model has:

Nvidia's own website I posted earlier shows the Jetson board as smaller.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Fight-the-Streets said:

Lmfao it's coming no later than holidays 2023.