By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Ryuu96 said:
SanAndreasX said:

I won't be shedding any tears over the asshole's death. However, I'm not sure Yevgeny Prigozhin would be an improvement, or Kadyrov, or any of the other collection of thugs and oligarchs that would be jockeying for the job.

Absolutely zero chance that Kadyrov gets anywhere near Russian leadership, on the simple basis that he is Chechen, also a little because he acts like a brat, Lol. Kadyrov will always be a dog on a leash to anyone who rules Russia to keep Chechnya in line.

I've my doubts that Prigozhin will get near leadership as well, I think he'd sooner be killed off, I see him a little like Kadyrov, a dog on a leash who is effective but far too disliked. I know we mock Girkin but he has FSB ties and dislikes Prigozhin, Shoigu & Gerasimov both dislike him, Prigozhin doesn't have the FSB on his side and there are more than a few regional Russian leaders who dislike him.

As one of them said, Prigozhin is nothing but a chef who hired some mercs.

Be crazy to see someone who is wanted by the FBI as Russia's next leader though. I'm not even sure if he has any political ambitions for real or if he is just trolling, it looks a few times like he's just eager for Putin's attention, I see him doing all this PR in Ukraine but I think if Wagner doesn't ultimately take Bakhmut then if Prigozhin does have political ambitions, they'll be over after that.

But even outside of those two, everyone else is trash like you've said, such as that POS Medvedev.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it." - Douglas Adams

That's been a truism for most of the world, but it seems particularly true for the political establishment that rules Russia. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Ukraine Situation Report: Wagner Has Up To 36,000 Troops In Bakhmut Says Top U.S. General

The "Ukrainians are doing a very effective area defense that has proven to be very costly to the Russians," Milley said. "For about the last 20, 21 days, the Russians have not made any progress whatsoever. So it's a slaughter-fest for the Russians. They're getting hammered in the vicinity of Bakhmut. The Ukrainians have fought very, very well. That's also true across the entire frontline trace from Kreminna all the way down to Kherson. The Ukrainians have fought a remarkable defensive fight and the Russians have not achieved their strategic objectives."

While Milley may have been generalizing — there may have been some small gains made by Russian forces during this time period — the Russian push in Bakhmut, he added, is not a separate battle, but part of their larger offensive that has sputtered.

Hungary on Russian Government's List of "Unfriendly Countries"

Russia's idea of unfriendly is common decency.

The Finland news is nice.
This was made possible thanks to the necessity caused by Putin’s regime.
The man fulfilled Plato’s regime change theory that democracy can indeed lead to tyranny. Although, in time, Russia will inevitably become liberalized enough so that people will no longer be looking for a Czar or a Church to fulfil their existential needs.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

The man fulfilled Plato’s regime change theory that democracy can indeed lead to tyranny. Although, in time, Russia will inevitably become liberalized enough so that people will no longer be looking for a Czar or a Church to fulfil their needs.

Case in point, Trump, but at least he was removed somewhat peacefully.

Jumpin said:

The man fulfilled Plato’s regime change theory that democracy can indeed lead to tyranny. Although, in time, Russia will inevitably become liberalized enough so that people will no longer be looking for a Czar or a Church to fulfil their existential needs.

We've been saying that about Russia and China for decades, and it still isn't happening, though. I'm not sure it ever will. One of Deng Xiaoping's most brilliant moves was separating economic liberalization from social and political liberalization. If anything, they're even more entrenched.

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

it is certainly not to give time to russia to build back their deeply diminished equipments like tanks. 

I take this as good sign that russia is out of many relevant equipment and fear another kharkiv or Kherson from when condition allow Ukraine to move fast again.

As the Russian attacks continue, there is concern in some circles that president Volodymyr Zelenskiy's stubborn insistence on fighting in the city could blunt the offensive potential of its army. Liudmyla Buimister, an MP who was formerly part of Zelenskiy's party in the parliament, and since the start of the war a special forces commander, called for a tactical retreat in mid-March to preserve Ukrainian lives, and argued "a lost battle does not mean a lost war".

Yet this is not how the soldiers see it. The prevailing view is, as Alim, the tank commander, describes: "We have to hold our land" – meaning it is necessary to resist somewhere. "It's important to me, even if I die there," adds Oleksii. "You are from London. Would you not fight for a city in Scotland?" he asks. No doubt there is fear despite the bravado, but there is also no significant loss of Ukrainian military cohesion.

Surrounded and Outgunned, Ukraine’s Tank Crews Prepare for Battle of Bakhmut | Ukraine | The Guardian

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 02 April 2023