By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

Nintendo is more talented. Better quality games with smaller teams. Nintendo is greatly unmatched in first-party studio talent. Sony outs out a lot of good looking highly produced games but standard game mechanics that don't stand out for the most part. Nintendo is often innovative in software as well as hardware. People may clown on Wii sports but it brought in people who don't normally play games. Sony tried to copy that with PS Move and Move sports.

Horizon and BOTW going for that open world. BOTW has a lot more attention to details like shooting the grass with fire and the grass burns for example. (not saying Nintendo invented this btw) Horizon nothing happens as everything is just a setting but not really an interactive world. HZD is pretty typical of most AAA big world games. Games like that are more worried about completing a character animation than a character's action.

I've seen plenty of times Sony try to chase a Nintendo idea in software. Most notably Smash Bros. Before someone tries to say Mario Maker copied little big planet. Mega Man Powered up for one came out before LBP and two Nintendo had the concept for Mario Maker in the 90s but didn't have the ability to do it. Oh and Excitebike track editor Not Saying Sony copied them but I am saying Nintendo didn't.

I think the most ambitious Sony franchise the last decade or at least one of them didn't have a large budget. Gravity Rush. Don't get me wrong it had some problems esp in mission design but the flying in that game is genuinely the best sense of superhero flying ever in a game. Spiderman did have a great Swinging mechanic...but the open world is pretty Ubisoft. So once the checklist in the map is done and the story is done. Nothing brings me back. BOTW I can always go back. Sony and MS are not. "dur Naughty Dog" yeah in the visual set-pieces but not in gameplay. Pretty standard shit. Feels dated. Days gone everything from visuals to characters to writing to menus to UI to gameplay feels like every game released that gen. It is just so damn generic. Not terrible but just another one of those. 

Despite how much money MS has spent. All those studios put out glitch filled problematic games and do anything but innovate as they have to keep the status quo t appeal to the mass. They are just studios that put out stuff that suffers from every bad AAA game habbit. So meh.

Nintendo can make anything they want and usually be great. Nintendo puts a focus,philosophy and level of critical thought into their gameplay with attention to the smallest details that are unmatched in the industry by a long shot. Nintendo are master craftsmen at game design. Mechanics and little gameplay touches.

ftr I do like some first party games. I liked Spider-Man a lot. Just because I don't think Sony are the craftsmen Nintendo is. Doesn't mean I dislike Sony nor love every Nintendo series. NOt into a lot of Nintendo franchises tbh.

Last edited by Leynos - on 13 February 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Sony is obviously better on a technical level, thanks to Nintendo ceasing to care about specs a long time ago.
But I easily say Nintendo. More great games and especially more near-perfect games.
Give me Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing over Uncharted, Spider-Man, and the others.
Even if you broadened the prompt to Sony Interactive Entertainment vs. Nintendo, I still say Nintendo. Because it gives Nintendo even more IPs like Super Smash Bros., EarthBound, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and others.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Nintendo has more variety and more innovation, so Nintendo.

Nintendo, majority of top selling games on a Nintendo platform is a Nintendo game. That says enough.

Missing a few developers on SiE in OP, they have 21 studios - https://www.androidcentral.com/everything-sony-worldwide-studios-working Some of which are support teams.

Around the Network

I'd have to agree the issue is a bit apples and oranges, both are adapted for very different methods. If you swapped them suddenly, like all of Nintendo's team worked at Sony and Sony's team worked at Nintendo, both would quickly run into problems.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Nintendo. They live and die by their first party games. Playstation can succeed even if all of their first party games are crap. And actually that is kind of how I feel about them now. Almost all of the first party games that I liked from Sony in the past have come from their Japanese studio. It's closed now. Their first party lineup basically has nothing for me anymore. But even when it did, it wasn't the main draw for me buying a Playstation.

Imho, Playstation, by far.

This question can be interpreted many ways. Financially and popularity wise, Nintendo wins hands down. You don't have Sony 1st party titles hitting 30 or 40+ Millions. And their games obviously don't take much of a budget compared to Sony's. Technically/Graphic wise, it could be debatable but Sony produces near photorealistic software. Personally... I respect what Sony does. I really do. They're really good at creating the most detailed, most produced, technical marvels in the industry. Nobody does what Sony does, better than Sony. And that's because they've curated their 1st party studios to create these types of experiences.

However, Nintendo just resonates more with me. Their 1st party takes chances. They gamble. They stumble across really cool art styles and gameplay ideas. And that's what keeps me in this hobby. That's not to say Sony doesn't come up with interesting ideas but Nintendo games are just more fun to play to me. The combination of new gameplay ideas, amazing music that isn't your normal western film score type of music, vastly different gameplay genres, tight controls, and art styles that aren't the norm just makes their games more fun to me.

They just think differently than the rest of the industry. Not saying that means they're always good or bad, but I respect a company that's willing to take risks and give their audience something they didn't even think they'd want. They pride themselves on the element of surprise. And that's something that isn't really valued at other developers these days. That's why when a Nintendo Direct is announced, the internet goes into a frenzy thinking of what could be announced. They've had struggles over the years but they've always tried to make fun games first and foremost. Nintendo isn't a perfect company. But their games make me happy.

they have different Audiences.

Nintendo - Childish

Playstation - Mature

I prefer Playstation