By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

Hynad said:

I came here expecting this to be overly biased towards Nintendo, with the usual apologetics and petty arguments from the usual blinders wearing lot.

It's not like they don't have a good case for Nintendo though. Nintendo EPD puts out some of the most critically acclaimed and groundbreaking games in the industry, be it internally or externally. They also outproduce and outsell PlayStation Studios on a yearly basis.

But Sony's group also has an extremely good case to be made for them too. PlayStation Studios games are some of the most ambitious, highly polished, and highly acclaimed games in the business. They may not put out as many games as EPD, but PlayStation pushes the technical, mechanical, and presentational boundaries of gaming in ways Nintendo doesn't.

Around the Network
Agente42 said:

Valve is not in the same league. It´s an important producer for the FPS realm, period( Portal 2, TF2, and Half-Life 2 are brilliant games). Blizzard, Origin, and Rockstar, in the golden years, I agree. The problem is Nintendo has 30 plus years and always comes back with one groundbreaking game. 

You heavily underestimate the impact Valve has on the industry. There is more to Valve than just the genre. Half Life revolutionised the entire FPS scene, Half Life 2 revolutionised physics in games. ALYX put AAA VR gaming on the map. These are just some examples. Lets not forget the impact the Source Engine has on the industry aswell as creating an eco system that drawfs the console market.

I got abit off topic but when you look at Valve, they did COD before COD, they have a game that competes with League of Legends, they have made some of the best games of all time and still today, there games are more technical than most games that release today.

Nintendo, obviously. They do better things than Sony or MS with hardware much weaker. Imagine the Zelda Nintendo could create on the Series X.

It’s because Nintendo designs around gameplay, the other two don’t. Especially Sony. It’s a lot like RDR2. So much time and money wasted on all of those incredible little details that the world is full of, because they forgot to focus on gameplay. Sony (and maybe MS in the future) focus more on checking all the boxes expected of “modern game design” and their games suffer at times from it.

A game like Days Gone could have been so much better if gameplay were the focus instead of the “experience” and “the game world”.

Spade said:
Hynad said:

I came here expecting this to be overly biased towards Nintendo, with the usual apologetics and petty arguments from the usual blinders wearing lot.

And, true to itself, the forums delivered what is now expected from it.

Way to add absolutely nothing to the thread. Congrats. 

That's what you expect from a Hynad post.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Azzanation said:
Agente42 said:

Valve is not in the same league. It´s an important producer for the FPS realm, period( Portal 2, TF2, and Half-Life 2 are brilliant games). Blizzard, Origin, and Rockstar, in the golden years, I agree. The problem is Nintendo has 30 plus years and always comes back with one groundbreaking game. 

You heavily underestimate the impact Valve has on the industry. There is more to Valve than just the genre. Half Life revolutionised the entire FPS scene, Half Life 2 revolutionised physics in games. ALYX put AAA VR gaming on the map. These are just some examples. Lets not forget the impact the Source Engine has on the industry aswell as creating an eco system that drawfs the console market.

I got abit off topic but when you look at Valve, they did COD before COD, they have a game that competes with League of Legends, they have made some of the best games of all time and still today, there games are more technical than most games that release today.

Show me a bunch of Valve IPs not first person. Nintendo has tackled nearly every major genre of gaming and succeeded.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This is a toughie.. Sony outputs a lot of varied games. And their teams have produced some my favourite games well over the two decades.. Though they do have their fair share of misses. But also there are some unique experiences that are truly special within the industry. They also have co-develeloped some of the best games out there with other external companies which blur the lines of what is considered a first party game.

Nintendo games have some of the most polished and immediate gameplay. And made of the most iconic characters and IP's and games over the last few decades with big impacts throughout industry, to this day. Yet their more recent titles lack in some areas.. like technical prowess; which is maybe due to hardware limitations or developer knowledge (or both) and storytelling in most of their games isn't their strong suit - and in a lot of cases only serves as a way to drive gameplay forward. Which may be a good or bad thing. Though those looking for a solid gaming experience without the baggage its the go-to for a lot of people.

Personally for me I prefer PlayStation games output. Like, as I get older.. I have less patience for and time to play and complete games and it takes something with a solid rounded experience to keep my interest. And as someone who has enjoyed playing games for well over two decade on PC. I enjoy games that also push technology forward as well as gaming as a medium. And a good story is appreciated in that as well as solid gameplay (obvious - like if a game isn't fun to play its not worth my time).

Last edited by hinch - on 14 February 2022

I guess it depends on your taste.

For Sony, they’ve produced games that are great graphical showcases for their hardware. The realism and detailed graphics are pretty amazing. They almost make them like movies with all the top of the line voice acting, grandiose cinematics, and big marketing. Gameplay wise, they’re fine. Nothing ground breaking to me personally, but they work for the games they’re implemented on. More focus on mature stuff, depending on how you define mature. Not to mention they don’t produce a lot of games per year. But they’re quality nonetheless. They can sell a big audience to these types of games with their console and standout in any gaming convention.

Nintendo knows what they are. They focus on fun and inventive gameplay that stems from their days as a toy company. Story and graphics comes later to them. Though they have put some amazing graphics themselves with the likes of Zelda and Xenoblade, we of course can’t compare them to likes God of War or Horizon. What they lack in high definition or realism, they make up for artistry. You won’t say the Wind Waker is a highly graphical game, but you can say it’s a beautiful game in its own right with the cell shaded graphics that still holds today. And while Nintendo games don’t usually go for the mature edge like Sony does with the violence, mature themes, etc., they have delved into mature themes through games like Majora’s Mask, Earthbound, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem. Play Earthbound to the end and tell me it’s just a kid’s game and wonder why games like Undertale were inspired by it. Plus, Nintendo produces almost a dozen games a year, which not many companies do, even the big third party companies. Not to mention they produce a variety of games from sports to JRPGs to Action to platforming to fighting to SRPGs, etc. Hell, which big gaming company would ok something like the Famicom Detective Club remakes to be a thing in the current landscape? Finally, they’re pretty universal as a brand. You can showcase Mario in events like the Olympics (though ironically, Nintendo was not involved in advertising the Tokyo games when they occurred, despite the handoff).

i guess with the size of the paragraph differences, you can somewhat tell which first party games I’d prefer more. Though I do enjoy Sony’s output and the graphical showcases they put up, I personally just have more fun with Nintendo games due to their uniqueness. Going from Metroid to Pikmin to Mario to Splatoon.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 14 February 2022

Only one has a 97+ on Metacritic. Two at that.

Spade said:
Hynad said:

And, true to itself, the forums delivered what is now expected from it.

Right back at you. 

Leynos said:
Spade said:

That's what you expect from a Hynad post.

Coming from one of the most predictable users here, that’s almost a compliment.