By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

If I'm going off my own personal bias, probably Playstation. But if I take away any bias and speak to which is the more impactful and with the grander IP's? Nintendo by far.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

You heavily underestimate the impact Valve has on the industry. There is more to Valve than just the genre. Half Life revolutionised the entire FPS scene, Half Life 2 revolutionised physics in games. ALYX put AAA VR gaming on the map. These are just some examples. Lets not forget the impact the Source Engine has on the industry aswell as creating an eco system that drawfs the console market.

I got abit off topic but when you look at Valve, they did COD before COD, they have a game that competes with League of Legends, they have made some of the best games of all time and still today, there games are more technical than most games that release today.

Show me a bunch of Valve IPs not first person. Nintendo has tackled nearly every major genre of gaming and succeeded.

If you are just talking genres only, sure Nintendo are the best, i 100% agree, if we are talking game designs, tech and innovation, Valve match and succeed.

Nintendo by a significant margin, more efficient, diverse and intricate in their designs.

Nintendo no contest for me.

Nintendo complement really well what might be missing from Xbox.

The only franchise that I feel I am missing out from Sony is Spider-man games.
I have no problem waiting 3-4 year and pick up Spiderman, miles morales, Spider man 2 and Wolverine with a PS5 Slim.

twintail said:
Wyrdness said:

Nintendo by a significant margin, more efficient, diverse and intricate in their designs.

Care to explain how they are more efficient, diverse and intricate in their designs?

They're able to put out amazing games with relatively small teams. Xenoblade 2 is 40 people. BOTW about 300 people as opposed to the 2000 or so for TLOUII

Mario Odyssey when it first released was only 1.8GB. Nintendo's always been good at compression. BOTW,Fire Emblem,Xenoblade, Smash Bros and many more are layered with several mechanics of complex but easy to learn tough to master gameplay.

Recently Sony hasn't been too diverse in genres with PS4 in comparison where Ninteno does. Sims. Action. RPGs. Open World. Platforming. Third Person Shooter.  Puzzle & Puzzle Battle Royal (in the form of Tetris 99) Creating. SRPG. Fighting. Party Games. Racing. 2D games. 3D games. Sports games. The list goes on. This is just on Switch alone where Sony does some of these but not all. The other thing is. Many Sony studios get 1-2 maybe 3 games out a generation. Nintendo has a larger output due to only needing a fraction of the manpower. Again take Monolith. They worked on BOTW,Splatoon series,Animal Crossing and 4 Xenoblade games on Switch alone.

Also can look at when Sony had the Vita. Nintendo was used to making games for 2 systems per generation since NES. Sony didn't do nearly as much for Vita and while successful,PSP had a lower output of 1st party compared to DS.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I have a PS5, but their first party games starting from 8th gen era are complete not for me because of overly matured story written and heavily cinematic route, at least Ghost of Tsushima is the only PlayStation game i liked. I got this console just for Japanese AAA third party games or in case for timed/console exclusives when i'm too impatient. Sigh, i missed those edgy and cheesy games.

Nintendo is still my top first party group ever since SNES era. I refused to move on when i became an adult, so it's impossible, i couldn't ignore them. I still buy and play their entertainment games. They have done good job on making innovation gameplay and art stylistic. Yes, Nintendo is my pick.

Nintendo, of course.

They're like "ugh, we have to release a Meta 97 game again to sell our console" "make it 2, just in case"

TheMisterManGuy said:
faustian.empire said:

i know the games you mentioned above have mature themes but even their Art-Style is Cartoony not like Playstation and Xbox Art-Styles.

Its not just the story themes that matter but even the Graphic Styles they use which are more relatable to a kid and shows what audience the creators are targetting

Have you ever seen an Anime?

what about it?

Are you pointing out the fact that older people watch Anime? - If,then also point out how in today's day and age the public is more immature and want Big Daddy Government to take care of them and not hold them responsible to their actions as adults

Last edited by faustian.empire - on 15 February 2022

Leynos said:
Mnementh said:

You know who cares about this? Insecure teenagers, who want to declare that they have left their childish ways behind them. Actual adults very much enjoy games with cartoony style as much as gorefests. So you initial declaration was that Nintendo games are for everyone but insecure teenagers and Playstation games for insecure teenagers.

C'mon we all know Killer 7 was such a quirky kids game! When I watch Angel Cop,Wicked City or Akira I just think, ah what a nice kids movie you can enjoy with the little ones.

yeah they are not Nintendo's leading IP's

Mnementh said:
faustian.empire said:

i know the games you mentioned above have mature themes but even their Art-Style is Cartoony not like Playstation and Xbox Art-Styles.

Its not just the story themes that matter but even the Graphic Styles they use which are more relatable to a kid and shows what audience the creators are targetting

You know who cares about this? Insecure teenagers, who want to declare that they have left their childish ways behind them. Actual adults very much enjoy games with cartoony style as much as gorefests. So you initial declaration was that Nintendo games are for everyone but insecure teenagers and Playstation games for insecure teenagers.

when did i say that Nintendo games are for everyone? - Are you dreaming or something? OR making things up to suite your argument?

If Insecure teenagers were the only ones wanting to look at Beautiful things aka Graphics then all the adults would want ugly looking men & women.Everybody likes to look at beautiful things.