By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Studios and Nintendo Entertainment Planning and Development - Which is the better first party group?

Imho, Playstation, by far.

GoTY 2022:

Around the Network

This question can be interpreted many ways. Financially and popularity wise, Nintendo wins hands down. You don't have Sony 1st party titles hitting 30 or 40+ Millions. And their games obviously don't take much of a budget compared to Sony's. Technically/Graphic wise, it could be debatable but Sony produces near photorealistic software. Personally... I respect what Sony does. I really do. They're really good at creating the most detailed, most produced, technical marvels in the industry. Nobody does what Sony does, better than Sony. And that's because they've curated their 1st party studios to create these types of experiences.

However, Nintendo just resonates more with me. Their 1st party takes chances. They gamble. They stumble across really cool art styles and gameplay ideas. And that's what keeps me in this hobby. That's not to say Sony doesn't come up with interesting ideas but Nintendo games are just more fun to play to me. The combination of new gameplay ideas, amazing music that isn't your normal western film score type of music, vastly different gameplay genres, tight controls, and art styles that aren't the norm just makes their games more fun to me.

They just think differently than the rest of the industry. Not saying that means they're always good or bad, but I respect a company that's willing to take risks and give their audience something they didn't even think they'd want. They pride themselves on the element of surprise. And that's something that isn't really valued at other developers these days. That's why when a Nintendo Direct is announced, the internet goes into a frenzy thinking of what could be announced. They've had struggles over the years but they've always tried to make fun games first and foremost. Nintendo isn't a perfect company. But their games make me happy.

they have different Audiences.

Nintendo - Childish

Playstation - Mature

I prefer Playstation

faustian.empire said:

Nintendo - Childish

Playstation - Mature

I prefer Playstation

Fire Emblem

Xenoblade

Sin and Punishment

Metroid

Zelda

Golden Sun

Have you played these?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

faustian.empire said:

Nintendo - Childish

Playstation - Mature

I prefer Playstation

Nintendo - Fire Emblem

PlayStation - Astro Bot

Around the Network

Nintendo for me by far, not only they're masters at their craft, but their output is also overall more varied than Sony's and resonates much more with my preferences.

faustian.empire said:

Nintendo - Childish

Playstation - Mature

I prefer Playstation

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

For me PlayStation their catalogue and the things they focus on are more important to me. Story, character building, presentation and solid enough gameplay with overall polish and good performance.

Nintendo shines in the fun, family friendly, co-op and gameplay department. However while I enjoy Nintendo games, they appeal less to me, because when it comes to story and presentation, they are lacking compared to Sony.

Nintendo does win the morst important category from a business perspective and that's being profitable. Most Nintendo games tend to be cheaper to make than Sony games and even with the same budget (Zelfs for example) they sell a shit ton more.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

My biggest problem with the direction Sony’s first party has gone in recent years is that they focus on things that are, to me, the “wrong” things for a video game. The games that bring me the most joy are the ones that create experiences, tell stories, and/or evoke emotions that other media (TV and movies in particular) cannot. This is something Nintendo excels in.

Sony games tend to have a laser focus on presentation, cinematic production values, technical prowess and narrative. These are all things I turn to television and film for. When you strip away those elements, what you are often left with are games that are mechanically unimaginative or simplistic.

Satisfying gameplay is the first and frequently only concern with Nintendo, and that is in my opinion as it should be

PlayStation Studios for me.

Sony's premiere first party studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games & Sony Santa Monica are unrivaled when it comes to technical wizardry, tight gameplay, immersive worlds, & engaging narrative. It's everything I want in a video game. I also think PlayStation Studios are on another level when it comes to new IP's. For all the talk about Sony taking very few risks, there are games like Concrete Genie, Dreams, Returnal, Astro's Playroom, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, that get overshadowed by major blockbusters like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and Days Gone. 

That's not even including all the software they have for VR and how they're trying to push the medium forward.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 13 February 2022