By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

Lots of people knew what the Switch was gonna be like before its October 2016 reveal cause of rumours and leaks. When a rumour like this is this highly reported on there's a good chance it's true.

Maybe.  I still think the switch 2 rumors on graphics are highly unlikely to be true.  I don't trust most rumors.  Wind Waker was rumored for release on the switch for over a year now.

What rumours are you referring to? The overall picture I've seen is somewhat more capable than the PS4 and Steam Deck which is reasonable. Not trusting most rumours makes sense, I don't pay them a lot of mind unless it's a case where it's very likely true.

archbrix said:
Norion said:

I mean the recent highly reported on rumour was that it was originally intended for this year before getting delayed so it's a completely fair belief to have.

Agreed.  Although Nintendo's calendar year hardware sales aren't going to be great, I think there were a few factors that ultimately lead to waiting until next year.  This video sheds a lot of light on why in makes sense financially:

Add to that more time to ready the games lineup for launch and post-launch, plentiful unit numbers to combat scalpers and the fact that a March launch for Switch 2 will still be reflected in its fiscal year hardware sales and it all works out better for Nintendo in the long run.

Furthermore, like Rol pointed out, Nintendo likely has finished games we don't know about yet that were always in the pipeline for Switch this year that they can rely on for Switch to have another solid lineup through the holiday.

I'd still prefer it releasing this November but a few month delay isn't a big deal and they'll be fine this year yeah. At this point I mainly hope the announcement for it is soon.

Last edited by Norion - on 12 March 2024

Around the Network
Norion said:
Chrkeller said:

Maybe.  I still think the switch 2 rumors on graphics are highly unlikely to be true.  I don't trust most rumors.  Wind Waker was rumored for release on the switch for over a year now.

What rumours are you referring to? The overall picture I've seen is somewhat more capable than the PS4 and Steam Deck which is reasonable. Not trusting most rumours makes sense, I don't pay them a lot of mind unless it's a case where it's very likely true.

archbrix said:

Agreed.  Although Nintendo's calendar year hardware sales aren't going to be great, I think there were a few factors that ultimately lead to waiting until next year.  This video sheds a lot of light on why in makes sense financially:

Add to that more time to ready the games lineup for launch and post-launch, plentiful unit numbers to combat scalpers and the fact that a March launch for Switch 2 will still be reflected in its fiscal year hardware sales and it all works out better for Nintendo in the long run.

Furthermore, like Rol pointed out, Nintendo likely has finished games we don't know about yet that were always in the pipeline for Switch this year that they can rely on for Switch to have another solid lineup through the holiday.

I'd still prefer it releasing this November but a few month delay isn't a big deal and they'll be fine this year yeah. At this point I mainly hope the announcement for it is soon.

The RT rumors.  RT on the ps5 is hot garbage.  Some games like Hitman WoA have RT that bends over a rtx 4070.  I don't see RT being a thing on the S2.  RT takes a ton of system resources.  



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:

The RT rumors.  RT on the ps5 is hot garbage.  Some games like Hitman WoA have RT that bends over a rtx 4070.  I don't see RT being a thing on the S2.  RT takes a ton of system resources.  

Yeah, Kepler, the leaker of the Switch 2 specs, recently said on Twitter that he doesn't see even the full T239 at 50W matching as little as the Series S in RT. A reminder that it's also a CPU and bandwidth-intensive task that isn't suited at all for mobile APUs, especially with ARM (which chokes at complex instructions compared to x86).



 

 

 

 

 

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

What rumours are you referring to? The overall picture I've seen is somewhat more capable than the PS4 and Steam Deck which is reasonable. Not trusting most rumours makes sense, I don't pay them a lot of mind unless it's a case where it's very likely true.

The RT rumors.  RT on the ps5 is hot garbage.  Some games like Hitman WoA have RT that bends over a rtx 4070.  I don't see RT being a thing on the S2.  RT takes a ton of system resources.  

I think it'll be a thing but will have a small presence, a lot smaller than the Series X and PS5. Basically a "oh that's neat" sort of thing like HD rumble that doesn't get much use.



I never thought in my wildest dreams would I see the switch selling the over 160 million consoles.



BiON!@ 

Around the Network

hellobion2 said:

I never thought in my wildest dreams would I see the switch selling the over 160 million consoles.

New switch model?

Last edited by Tico - on 02 May 2024

Tico said:

hellobion2 said:

I never thought in my wildest dreams would I see the switch selling the over 160 million consoles.

New switch model?

Era was reading way too much into this LMAO, it's just a NWC port on Switch



So Nintendo targets 155 million by March. This basically confirms it will pass 160 million next year.



kilik said:

So Nintendo targets 155 million by March. This basically confirms it will pass 160 million next year.

If Nintendo hits their target, yes.

Not much else that can be said at this moment, because the known release schedule for 2024 concludes in June with Luigi's Mansion 2.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

So Switch has a real shot at outselling PS2 in 8 years as opposed to 12-13 years it took for PS2 to reach those sales. Insane.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!