By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 12 Million - Global Hardware Jan 9-15

Dulfite said:

I hear people talking about the people talking about the cliff all the time yet I never hear people talking about the cliff these days.

Just making fun of some users on this forum from around 2017-2018 that every time Switch numbers where posted screamed:

"It will sell for a month or two more, then all Nintendo fanboys will have gotten it and sales will fall off a cliff, there is no demand for an underpowered console and smartphones have taken over the mobile gaming market". 

And also probably something along the lines of "Nintendo games are only for kids" .

By now it has become a meme. 

Don't remember any usernames and don't know if they are still around tbh. 

Around the Network

QuickRick...

He's the cliff guy.

No longer with us, unfortunately. Would love to see him justify his predictions.

Spindel said:
curl-6 said:

Adios PS1; you were a worthy opponent, and an excellent system in your own right, but the Switch train barrels on.

Switch is now less than 14 million behind the PS4.

Mar1217 said:

An odd quote people would've crucified you for back in January 2017 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

What?  I was told the Switch would never outsell the PS4.

Don't worry Cliff™ will come any day now.

Once it passes the PS2 the cliff will be in full sight

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:
Spindel said:

Mar1217 said:

An odd quote people would've crucified you for back in January 2017 

Don't worry Cliff™ will come any day now.

Once it passes the PS2 the cliff will be in full sight

To be honest I do not think it will pass the PS2 

trunkswd said:
S.Peelman said:

Wasn't Switch at 102.76M, on the front page at least, last week already? Or am I seeing things.

It might have been. The front page graph pulls data from here - https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/ - which for whatever reason doesn't always take into account adjustments until the next hardware update is posted. The page needs an overhaul, but we don't have the resources to do so right now.

Just curious, but when the adjustments are made, are the sales numbers for the week and lifetime totals updated in the articles/weekly Global Hardware threads?

Global Hardware Ending Jan 1 -

1. Switch - 553,748 (102,353,098)

Global Hardware Ending Jan 8 - 

1. Switch - 426,520 (102,316,148-36,950 from w/e 1/1 total

Global Hardware Ending Jan 15 -

1. Switch - 341,662 (102,806,335+490,187 from w/e 1/8 total
Roma said:
trunkswd said:

It might have been. The front page graph pulls data from here - https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/ - which for whatever reason doesn't always take into account adjustments until the next hardware update is posted. The page needs an overhaul, but we don't have the resources to do so right now.

Now it says 103m.. are you sure the numbers in your OP are correct?

The front page more closely aligns with the weekly reports (102,353,098 + 426,520 + 341,662 = 103,121,280), but I'm not sure if those get updated when adjustments are made.  Either way, they don't quite add up.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Mandalore76 said:

Just curious, but when the adjustments are made, are the sales numbers for the week and lifetime totals updated in the articles/weekly Global Hardware threads?

Global Hardware Ending Jan 1 -

1. Switch - 553,748 (102,353,098)

Global Hardware Ending Jan 8 - 

1. Switch - 426,520 (102,316,148-36,950 from w/e 1/1 total

Global Hardware Ending Jan 15 -

1. Switch - 341,662 (102,806,335+490,187 from w/e 1/8 total
Roma said:

Now it says 103m.. are you sure the numbers in your OP are correct?

The front page more closely aligns with the weekly reports (102,353,098 + 426,520 + 341,662 = 103,121,280), but I'm not sure if those get updated when adjustments are made.  Either way, they don't quite add up.

I don't go back and update the hardware articles and threads after I make adjustments. It would take too much time to be worth it.

OP numbers are correct. As I mentioned the front page graph pulls from this page - https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/ - which has always had issues taking into account when I make adjustments. I would love for it to have a total overhaul so it updates the numbers faster and has a way for me to force update it manually so it takes into account adjustments. 

Okay, totally understand.  I didn't think so, but was just checking if there was any way to see the actual adjustments since people were getting confused by the front page, which you already mentioned doesn't take the adjustments into account until later.  Thanks for answering and for all the work you do.  It is appreciated.

Spindel said:

To be honest I do not think it will pass the PS2 

It could if they had a price cut. Remember the PS2 was able to hit the $99 price point near the end of it's run. I don't think Switch will ever get that cheap but they havent really had a price drop since release. Only a cheaper model that doesnt exactly "switch".

Spindel said:
Dulfite said:

I hear people talking about the people talking about the cliff all the time yet I never hear people talking about the cliff these days.

Just making fun of some users on this forum from around 2017-2018 that every time Switch numbers where posted screamed:

"It will sell for a month or two more, then all Nintendo fanboys will have gotten it and sales will fall off a cliff, there is no demand for an underpowered console and smartphones have taken over the mobile gaming market". 

And also probably something along the lines of "Nintendo games are only for kids" .

Oh the the cliff talk definitely wasn't just in 2017-2018, I distinctly remember predictions of a Switch collapse after 2019, 2020, and 2021 as well.

I wish I'd bookmarked more, but here's one from 2020:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9173203

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 January 2022

curl-6 said:
Spindel said:

Oh the the cliff talk definitely wasn't just in 2017-2018, I distinctly remember predictions of a Switch collapse after 2019, 2020, and 2021 as well.

I wish I'd bookmarked more, but here's one from June 2020:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9173203

The person making that prediction is named Amnesia? You can't make this up...

Zhuge and Vgchartz estimates lineup pretty well.