By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony will loss from Activision?

Pinkie_pie said:
ironmanDX said:

You're here though. Not some buy one or 2 games a year kinda person. 

That's who will switch. 

And I don't think 20m buy a playstation just for cod and one other game. The last few cod sold around 10m each on ps4. So yeah I'd say half of that 10m are casual and would probably switch

Hmm... Last figures I saw was 10 million, retail figures only blops 4 from 2018. How much is digital? Another 5? That's probably low balling it. 

It's more than 10 million. It's always the highest selling game. Look at npd yearly. 

Game 1 cod. 

Game 2... Cod. 

We'll have to agree to disagree here given no numbers. From what we do have though and following the digital trend... We can assume at best. 

Around the Network

I would just stop playing COD if it became an Xbox exclusive. No plan to buy anything xbox related, they are not trustworthy.

3 to 5 billion a year eventually, mostly because of the reduce of the userbase. The players that remain will probably play something else. EA could help Sony out by reviving battlefield.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I doubt they make 30% cut as profit, more like 12-15%.

Is yet to see how the future of COD will be for PS consoles.

But there has been some decline of yearly COD sales, especially with Cold War and Vanguard.

Warzone is making about 3-4 times the revenue of Mainline COD (Vanguard atm).

Question remains if Warzone will keep getting updates on Ps consoles, if Yes, a lot of PS users would remain in the ecosystem.

If not, the loyalty of the brand will be put in question.

It will have a pretty big impact I would say. Even if Microsoft doesn't make those games Xbox/PC exclusives, they can still harm PS in many ways. Let's say they put CoD 2023 on the Game Pass at launch... while they charge 80 dolars for the PS5 version. Even worse: CoD 2023 at launch on Gamepass November 1st; 80 dolars, December 1st for PS5. Exclusives or not, it's obvious Microsoft will abuse their position to harm PS as much as they can.

The PS brand is gonna suffer deeply. Between the adquisition of Zennimax and now Activision Blizzard, they have lost a huge chunk of the most popular blockbuster franchises on the market. I know PS is a very strong brand with many huge IPs, but pretending this won't have any effect on their sales and their brand popularity is idiotic.

Obviously, any deal made before the adquisition will be kept, so it won't have any inmediate effects. But by 2023-2024... oh boy. Sony will surely feel it in their pockets.

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 20 January 2022

Around the Network

I'd say the bigger thing would be add up the various studios MS has scooped up and then subtract that collective number and that would tell us the damage done starting in 2023 but mostly not picking up until 2025 when contracts are over. Don't limit it to just Activision Blizzard.

People forget that it’s not just people not buying COD on PlayStation, if millions of people leave PlayStation because of COD, that’s millions of people fewer who can be sold PlayStation first party games, and millions fewer buying 3rd party on the PS store.

In the long term it has a multiplying effect

Even if this time MS did it mainly against Google and Apple, not Sony, the latter will be affected. While Sony has a wide range of 1st and 3rd party titles and franchises, it wouldn't be bad at all for it to cover in a takeover-proof way the parts of its library weakened by MS' Bethesda and Activision acquisitions, with one or two big WRPGs and a non sci-fi FPS. But as JRPGs and other Japanese style games are essential for PS, Sony needs to secure as many as possible, to avoid dangerous situations.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

aTokenYeti said:

People forget that it’s not just people not buying COD on PlayStation, if millions of people leave PlayStation because of COD, that’s millions of people fewer who can be sold PlayStation first party games, and millions fewer buying 3rd party on the PS store.

In the long term it has a multiplying effect

MS's moves are usually a multiplying effect. Gamepass, in itself, isn't the main goal. If you buy into one Microsoft subscription like office 365, you are more likely to buy into others, more likely to buy things on Windows Stores, and more likely to use their free software instead of another companies like Teams, and so on. It's about the total ecosystem, not individual biomes.

I'm not saying people are then most likely to buy into the ecosystem, but more likely. It's all about the indirect money each of these biomes brings in by getting people to also go to the other biomes.

Frank_kc said:

I would just stop playing COD if it became an Xbox exclusive. No plan to buy anything xbox related, they are not trustworthy.

Lol at admitting you play games from a company that was run by Bobby Kotick, and then claiming you base your gaming purchases on the companies that you deem to be "trustworthy".