By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony will loss from Activision?

Wonder if they will leave Warzone in PS, all other CoD as exclusive, and use cross progression to actually mine Sony's player base inside their own environment

Would bet this will at least slow down PS5 growth significantly.

Potentially will force Sony to make worst deals with EA/Ubi, since they will rely more of them?

Last edited by vkaraujo - on 20 January 2022

Around the Network

Yeah, no denying it will dent Sony, the question is by how much. Call of Duty sells 15+ Million on Playstation consoles annually, to expect all of these players to switch is unrealistic, but 10+ Million leaving is a real possibility.

One wildcard for Sony, however, is the chance of having the next big multiplayer hit from one of their internal teams or partnerships. Deviation Games, for example, is made up entirely of former Treyarch devs. Naughty Dog's standalone TLOU multiplayer game, an IP with a universe and gameplay mechanics ripe to make a breakthrough in the multiplayer space, also has a television series releasing later this year, could be the premiere multiplayer game that softens the blow of losing Call of Duty.

Sony has a lot of multiplayer titles under wraps, significantly more than the PS4, there's a good chance a few of them end up being successful. They might not be the next Fortnite, but having success similar to Rocket League, Genshin Impact, or Destiny, would be huge for the Playstation ecosystem going forward.

Pinkie_pie said:

Sony probably was paying at least 100m each year for marketing and exclusive dlc. Also the people who were playing cod on Playstation will just buy a different game

I disagree with this big time. Sure some people will just buy a new game but I know so many people who just play COD. It wont be immediate but I could see maybe by next gen Sony losing a good amount of their base if COD leaves. How much that is? I don't know. 

That's why the rumors of the ex COD devs and  a new MP FPS from them is important. They still have time to release something that is just as good or even better to mitigate the damage. 

On the flip side. How much potential revenue would MS lose if COD eventually becomes day one exclusive to Game Pass vs selling COD like normal and then having it appear on Game Pass after some chunk of time (6m to 1y)?

How long can MS add every MS studio game on Game Pass day one before it becomes LESS total money?

I'm really curious how this all shakes out.

Sorry, more on topic.  I wonder how much money SONY makes on people who buy game after game every year vs people who buy 1 or 2 games a year?  When the hardware is subsidized by game sales, how many games need to sell before it becomes 'worth it'?  Are the COD buyers a big enough chunk?  Is the total loss of all Activision/Blizzard games so big that Playstation will struggle to compete?

Last edited by dharh - on 20 January 2022

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

So these games are still coming to PC right? I still see no reason to buy Series X. Meanwhile FF7 remake part 2 will likely be a Playstation exclusive for over a year before it comes to PC. I don't own either right now, but PS5 still seems like the better buy if you have a capable PC.

Around the Network

Really stupid question here. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the PS/Xbox universes but are we sure that Activision will stop releasing content on the PS5? I mean, Microsoft acquired Minecraft but the games still came to the Wii U and the Switch. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye (rumored) are also making appearances again on Nintendo consoles. For MS to ban Activision from releasing content on the PS5 when the PS5 comprises a huge chunk of yearly CoD sales seems like a questionable business decision even if MS and Sony are direct hardware competitors.

The only way that it would make sense for Microsoft to bar Activision from releasing games on the PS5 is if MS thinks that it can squeeze Sony out of the console market completely. I doubt that this will happen given how powerful the PS brand is. Even if Microsoft was in a position to do this, given that company's history with antitrust issues I am not sure that they would even want to try this given the public optics. It makes sense to me that Microsoft will still want to profit from the extremely large PS5 user base. I think that Microsoft will, at worst, continue to release the big titles on PS and XBox but hold back a few features for the XBox audience or maybe release COD a month earlier or something on XBox. I wouldn't see this as catastrophic for Sony or the PS5.

There is also the possibility of talent leaving Activision and forming new studios like what happened to Rare around the time that Microsoft bought it. Sony has a good relationship with third parties and not every top developer wants to work for a massive company like Microsoft. I am sure that Microsoft has been well advised not to shake things up too much with the acquisition.

Crazy thought, next gen there is only one console, the XStation, a collaboration between MS and Sony.

Sony gets the platform royalties, MS handles the subscriptions including gamepass and psn/xbl put together. The hardware is almost the same anyway nowadays, why still have separate boxes. Cross-play is always asked for. Both are releasing games on PC already. Sony already uses Azure, MS would like gamepass to be on Sony TVs as well. It has worked before with MSX.

Sony does the hardware, MS the network infrastructure. Both compete on software. Developers only have to optimize for one platform, no money lost of platform exclusive bonuses etc. Too good to ever become true!

SvennoJ said:

Crazy thought, next gen there is only one console, the XStation, a collaboration between MS and Sony.

Sony gets the platform royalties, MS handles the subscriptions including gamepass and psn/xbl put together. The hardware is almost the same anyway nowadays, why still have separate boxes. Cross-play is always asked for. Both are releasing games on PC already. Sony already uses Azure, MS would like gamepass to be on Sony TVs as well. It has worked before with MSX.

Sony does the hardware, MS the network infrastructure. Both compete on software. Developers only have to optimize for one platform, no money lost of platform exclusive bonuses etc. Too good to ever become true!

Devs would be optimizing for Windows only then. That was the main console goal to begin with and would be key to a deal like this.

It wont happened nothing. Because I can almost guarantee you that being so big their publishing schedule wont wont change. at most some games will be timed exclusive This is just for game pass: bacause of the potential of gazillions users they have: Android, iphone and PC.

twintail said:
method114 said:

I disagree with this big time. Sure some people will just buy a new game but I know so many people who just play COD. It wont be immediate but I could see maybe by next gen Sony losing a good amount of their base if COD leaves. How much that is? I don't know. 

That's why the rumors of the ex COD devs and  a new MP FPS from them is important. They still have time to release something that is just as good or even better to mitigate the damage. 

This isn't a rumour. The team you're talking about is Deviation Games (comprised of the ex-Black Ops devs + the creator of the Zombies mode), and they're in a contract for an exclusive PS5 title.

This could work out for Sony/ Deviation: there'll be more spotlight on their upcoming title, but they'll also have more pressure to deliver than they had before. 

That's good to hear. I honestly don't care much as I'm not a huge COD guy (play warzone for fun every now and then) so I'll be sticking with Sony either way as I love their first party titles to much to even think about jumping ship.