By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony will loss from Activision?

Illusion said:

Really stupid question here. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the PS/Xbox universes but are we sure that Activision will stop releasing content on the PS5? I mean, Microsoft acquired Minecraft but the games still came to the Wii U and the Switch. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye (rumored) are also making appearances again on Nintendo consoles. For MS to ban Activision from releasing content on the PS5 when the PS5 comprises a huge chunk of yearly CoD sales seems like a questionable business decision even if MS and Sony are direct hardware competitors.

The only way that it would make sense for Microsoft to bar Activision from releasing games on the PS5 is if MS thinks that it can squeeze Sony out of the console market completely. I doubt that this will happen given how powerful the PS brand is. Even if Microsoft was in a position to do this, given that company's history with antitrust issues I am not sure that they would even want to try this given the public optics. It makes sense to me that Microsoft will still want to profit from the extremely large PS5 user base. I think that Microsoft will, at worst, continue to release the big titles on PS and XBox but hold back a few features for the XBox audience or maybe release COD a month earlier or something on XBox. I wouldn't see this as catastrophic for Sony or the PS5.

There is also the possibility of talent leaving Activision and forming new studios like what happened to Rare around the time that Microsoft bought it. Sony has a good relationship with third parties and not every top developer wants to work for a massive company like Microsoft. I am sure that Microsoft has been well advised not to shake things up too much with the acquisition.

Well some analysts in the gaming industry have speculated that the acquisition will be difficult to go through if they keep Call of Duty away from PlayStation, and Phil Spencer just recently tweeted about having calls with leaders from Sony and their desire to keep Call of Duty games on PlayStation.
So they're discussing deals about that.

I don't know about the legality issues of all this, but I imagine most of the big titles would not be coming to PlayStation, if Microsoft can make it so.
I think a big goal for MS is to have Sony accept GamePass on PlayStation, and moves like this are probably their best bet into making that a possibility.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Crazy thought, next gen there is only one console, the XStation, a collaboration between MS and Sony.

Sony gets the platform royalties, MS handles the subscriptions including gamepass and psn/xbl put together. The hardware is almost the same anyway nowadays, why still have separate boxes. Cross-play is always asked for. Both are releasing games on PC already. Sony already uses Azure, MS would like gamepass to be on Sony TVs as well. It has worked before with MSX.

Sony does the hardware, MS the network infrastructure. Both compete on software. Developers only have to optimize for one platform, no money lost of platform exclusive bonuses etc. Too good to ever become true!

Devs would be optimizing for Windows only then. That was the main console goal to begin with and would be key to a deal like this.

It wont happened nothing. Because I can almost guarantee you that being so big their publishing schedule wont wont change. at most some games will be timed exclusive This is just for game pass: bacause of the potential of gazillions users they have: Android, iphone and PC.

twintail said:
method114 said:

I disagree with this big time. Sure some people will just buy a new game but I know so many people who just play COD. It wont be immediate but I could see maybe by next gen Sony losing a good amount of their base if COD leaves. How much that is? I don't know. 

That's why the rumors of the ex COD devs and  a new MP FPS from them is important. They still have time to release something that is just as good or even better to mitigate the damage. 

This isn't a rumour. The team you're talking about is Deviation Games (comprised of the ex-Black Ops devs + the creator of the Zombies mode), and they're in a contract for an exclusive PS5 title.

This could work out for Sony/ Deviation: there'll be more spotlight on their upcoming title, but they'll also have more pressure to deliver than they had before. 

That's good to hear. I honestly don't care much as I'm not a huge COD guy (play warzone for fun every now and then) so I'll be sticking with Sony either way as I love their first party titles to much to even think about jumping ship.

FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

So these games are still coming to PC right? I still see no reason to buy Series X. Meanwhile FF7 remake part 2 will likely be a Playstation exclusive for over a year before it comes to PC. I don't own either right now, but PS5 still seems like the better buy if you have a capable PC.

If that does end up being the case again it cements my opinion that Sony money hats suck the most. Not only do they hold back games from Xbox users but PC users too.

However i think SE might bring FF7 Remake part 2 day and date or even a month or two after release on PS5 now that they have the first part out.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Crazy thought, next gen there is only one console, the XStation, a collaboration between MS and Sony.

Sony gets the platform royalties, MS handles the subscriptions including gamepass and psn/xbl put together. The hardware is almost the same anyway nowadays, why still have separate boxes. Cross-play is always asked for. Both are releasing games on PC already. Sony already uses Azure, MS would like gamepass to be on Sony TVs as well. It has worked before with MSX.

Sony does the hardware, MS the network infrastructure. Both compete on software. Developers only have to optimize for one platform, no money lost of platform exclusive bonuses etc. Too good to ever become true!

Funny that was the original dream for the original Xbox, for MS to make the software etc and other company's to make the hardware.

Mandalore76 said:
Frank_kc said:

I would just stop playing COD if it became an Xbox exclusive. No plan to buy anything xbox related, they are not trustworthy.

Lol at admitting you play games from a company that was run by Bobby Kotick, and then claiming you base your gaming purchases on the companies that you deem to be "trustworthy".

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

Last edited by Frank_kc - on 21 January 2022

zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

Funny that was the original dream for the original Xbox, for MS to make the software etc and other company's to make the hardware.

That's basically what MSX was. (a standardized home computer architecture, announced by Microsoft and ASCII Corporation on June 16, 1983) The hardware was made by several different companies, including Sony, while MS developed the OS and Microsoft Basic. The first programming language I learned and started making games in as a kid.

So maybe history will repeat itself :)

MSX never caught on in the US but was popular in Japan and parts of Europe. Gamepass and XBox are worldwide now, so the base is there to try this collaboration again.

Mandalore76 said:
Frank_kc said:

I would just stop playing COD if it became an Xbox exclusive. No plan to buy anything xbox related, they are not trustworthy.

Lol at admitting you play games from a company that was run by Bobby Kotick, and then claiming you base your gaming purchases on the companies that you deem to be "trustworthy".

Indeed I would trust activation more from a company who tried to destroy gaming with online  checks and stopping game sharing... called the Don matrik fiasco... a company who created paid online... and now a company who is trying to change gaming to a rental service.

Nothing from above is good for gamers and I don't think activation  would come down to such level.

Last edited by Frank_kc - on 21 January 2022