By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard for 69 billion $

Dante9 said:
Leynos said:

That's the thing. I do. Don't bother replying.

Trending? Oh, you mean all those Sony made first person online shooters and battle royales? Yeah, that Sony, such a trend hog.

You know.... because Sony keeps the trends it creates.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

What does the financial service department from Sony do exactly? Because if i think what it does they need to keep a certain covering ratio in liquid assests

From what I know they lend money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

yep free online gaming

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I'm rather disgusted by this news and Phil Spencer is the biggest hypocrite (in the open that is)

"Microsoft's astonishing $68bn price-tag for Activision Blizzard was calculated based on a price of $95 per share - roughly 45 percent above Activision's stock price before the announcement.

Come 2023, when the deal is likely finalised, this will give Activision Blizzard's shareholders a significant payday. This is also expected to be when controversial boss Bobby Kotick finally exits."

The irony: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-18-xboxs-phil-spencer-tells-staff-he-is-evaluating-all-aspects-of-relationship-with-activision-blizzard

After evaluation this is what they came up with. Reward the cunts with a huge buyout so they can retire in luxury while the narrative shifts the focus away from the investigation. No doubt this deal was already on the table in November, it didn't just happen out of the blue.

DISGUSTING. And it's working. 99% of the talk is about further acquisitions, what it means for game pass, for subscriptions, for Sony, with a little footnote, maybe it will get better for the employees. Yet Kotick is guaranteed to stay until the buyout is complete after which he gets a golden handshake to retire. Will the rest of the enablers on the board get removed? Will working conditions actually improve?

Actually the narrative of cleaning up the company will distract from all the redundancies while the company is restructured. Jobs are never safe during a big take over, from having cunts as bosses to wondering whether you'll be made redundant.

Go on celebrating CoD on gamepass, this 69 billion deal is for the mobile market. There isn't enough profit in 'core' games to warrant this size of an acquisition. It's all about breaking into mobile with the dream of hundreds of millions of mobile gamers on gamepass buying micro tranactions.

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

Still he never proved me wrong with his good guy attitude.

Just today he said their intention isn`t to move the users from PS5 to Xbox, and that they won`t keep content from being there, same they said about Zenimax. Few months later basically confirmed that all new SW would be exclusive to Xbox and PC.

But sure keep believing in good guy Phil.

Your broad claim is totally mischaracterizing what he's said on the topic.  Quote:

"Obviously I can't sit here and say that every Bethesda game is an exclusive because we know that's not true. There are contractual obligations that we're going to see through as we always do in every one of these instances.... We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players, we love those communities, and we'll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there might be things that have contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do..."

Thus far, MS has maintained what Phil stated here:

-Timed exclusivity contracts with Zenimax are being honored (Deathloop & Ghostwire)

-Legacy titles, such as Fallout 76 & ESO, still have their place on PlayStation

It's future titles with no previous contractual obligations where MS has free range to determine what is & isn't console-exclusive.  You haven't disproven his "good guy attitude" with this example.

Signed deals they wouldn`t really be able to cancel. Games that are already released there would be no point in removing. But new content won`t release, and that doesn`t really match with "play anywhere on the device you want" that he preaches. Same will happen here, CoD will keep coming to PS until the marketing deal is over, games released will keep for the time, new games won`t come.

That is what everyone expect, but Phil will use silver tongue to pretend he isn`t impacting PS players. But sure you can still think he is a good guy. Next are we going to say he doesn't talk more than every other company PR people combined?

Around the Network

I think anyone that is saying “there’s too many sales on PlayStation for them to miss out on” is missing the point. Microsoft are probably more or less fine with short term losses if it means in the long term they offboard millions or tens of millions of people out of the PlayStation ecosystem. They do not want Sony to be a permanent revenue middleman they have to deal with.

This deal secured Microsoft a dominant market share on PC, and a huge new beachhead of mobile. But on console, the long term goal is to overtake PlayStation as the dominant platform. It will not happen this generation, PlayStations current lead is too large. But they want the PS4 to have been “peak PlayStation”.

I think it’s highly plausible that 10th generation Microsoft gains and holds a permanent market share lead over Sony in the console space

It will be very hard for Sony to respond to this, even with smaller Publisher like Take-Two (~$20B) like some suggested. Don't get me wrong they are big enough to do conclude a deal like this. But this Acti/Microsoft Deal put the industry on notice. If ever Sony enter acquisition negotiation with a big publisher. Microsoft will always be involved sooner or later than it will be who offer more and I don't think Sony could win any of those battles.

DonFerrari said:
coolbeans said:

Your broad claim is totally mischaracterizing what he's said on the topic.  Quote:

"Obviously I can't sit here and say that every Bethesda game is an exclusive because we know that's not true. There are contractual obligations that we're going to see through as we always do in every one of these instances.... We have games that exist on other platforms and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players, we love those communities, and we'll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there might be things that have contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do..."

Thus far, MS has maintained what Phil stated here:

-Timed exclusivity contracts with Zenimax are being honored (Deathloop & Ghostwire)

-Legacy titles, such as Fallout 76 & ESO, still have their place on PlayStation

It's future titles with no previous contractual obligations where MS has free range to determine what is & isn't console-exclusive.  You haven't disproven his "good guy attitude" with this example.

Signed deals they wouldn`t really be able to cancel. Games that are already released there would be no point in removing. But new content won`t release, and that doesn`t really match with "play anywhere on the device you want" that he preaches. Same will happen here, CoD will keep coming to PS until the marketing deal is over, games released will keep for the time, new games won`t come.

That is what everyone expect, but Phil will use silver tongue to pretend he isn`t impacting PS players. But sure you can still think he is a good guy. Next are we going to say he doesn't talk more than every other company PR people combined?

No he does not, you are just understanding whatever you want, the way you want, to make this sounds hypocrite.

Phil Spencer, never said games would not be exlusives and like Bethesda, anyone with a bit of comon sense knew, from the start of the aquisition, that new AAA games would be exclusive.

His statememt is about actual content: they won't pull anything from anyone that is already there. They will also fulfill any contract obligations etc. 

He never said anything about future games because this is just plain obvious that those are going to be exclusives. Of course you do not like the guy (doh...), but there is nothing hypocrite in what he is saying and Microsoft did actually what they always promised and kept those games available to the Play Station community (and they will not be gone anytime soon, only thing is that some 'people' are deciding that this should also include future games and therefor calling him an hypocrite based on their own understanding/take/wishes of the statement...).

If anything, the people who kept bitching Xbox and talked shit about having games only playable on their plastic boxes, while Xbox did not for years are the hypocrites... Esp. now that the opposite is happening.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 19 January 2022

Otter said:
KLAMarine said:

They follow their own trends. Not always in a good way: unfortunate for God of War to lose some of its original identity for The Last of Us dad simulator.

I think that was the ambition of the creators, not trend following. It's clearly a narrative Cory really cared about and the changed gameplay perspective works extremely well in delivering an outstanding experience. 

I can't agree: the change in perspective is a downgrade. The old God of Wars didn't need to rely on red arrows to alert one of danger, for starters.

I'm the odd man out. I think this is great for gamers. It will give MS a competitive edge, in which Sony will need to respond too, which could include opening up more studios. Competition is good, market domination is bad. MS and Sony being 1:1 in the market place is great, given it will lead to better sales on software and hardware being cut in price.